S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Latest rip off from the automotive parasites...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CL55_Serge
I wonder if there is a similar thread like this about our S-class cars on the Bentley and Rolls Royce forums :-)
In a fowl pen, chickens on the higher rods have always gotten the ones on the lower ones dirty. And so go the Days of our Lives...

Mercedes is a mature, established Company with a product that stands up by itself to any competitor, up or down the ladder of quality, safety, and originality.

It is not my intention the evaluation of anybody who expressed his opinion on this thread, but let's face it: to worry about Hyundai is as berserk as worrying about the Cubs for not winning the pennant.

Since the last quarter century, copying is the only engineering development of most companies. Despite this flourishing trend, only a few manage to copy well enough to be successful with it. So, if anybody has on his wrist a $35.00 Rolex rip off which can be recognized as such a mile away, should I feel rotten because I paid 12K for mine? No way Jose, I'm too busy for that pettiness from a wannabe peer who cannot raise above my socks.

My view? The point was made, let's move on back to MB subjects and close this thread. That will keep us in an unequaled position.

Let's enjoy the ride. JV

Last edited by JoeVal; 12-06-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL65 AMG , white S550 Sport w/ white Giovanna 22s, wild custom chopper
Well said. Agree with all points below, only am left wondering about the strange combo of owning a nice $12k Rolex and a C350 :-)

Originally Posted by JoeVal
In a fowl pen, chickens on the higher rods have always gotten the ones on the lower ones dirty. And so go the Days of our Lives...

Mercedes is a mature, established Company with a product that stands up by itself to any competitor, up or down the ladder of quality, safety, and originality.

It is not my intention the evaluation of anybody who expressed his opinion on this thread, but let's face it: to worry about Hyundai is as berserk as worrying about the Cubs for not winning the pennant.

Since the last quarter century, copying is the only engineering development of most companies. Despite this flourishing trend, only a few manage to copy well enough to be successful with it. So, if anybody has on his wrist a $35.00 Rolex rip off which can be recognized as such a mile away, should I feel rotten because I paid 12K for mine? No way Jose, I'm too busy for that pettiness from a wannabe peer who cannot raise above my socks.

My view? The point was made, let's move on back to MB subjects and close this thread. That will keep us in an unequaled position.

Let's enjoy the ride. JV
Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
You can call them what you want, but Hyundai is making strides in leaps and bounds in many areas. They offer 10 years warranties, and have come a long way from 10 years ago. The quality has greatly improved, but they are not a Benz. Never will be, as they are Hyundai's. I can see the point about them "copying" designs and the like though. Does it upset me? No. The point about copying being in Eastern culture, true. There are even Chinese and Japanese watch makers copying automatic movement, and look very similar to Patek's, Tag's, Ebel's, etc. I forget the maker's name but saw them when I was in St. Thomas in a high end jewelry store. Fraction of the cost though.

What I would say is Hyundai is showing that a lot of features that MB, Lexus, etc can be had for a fraction of the price and back it for 10 years. Now, let's not get on a high horse here as for as Benz's are concerned. A lot of MB failures, QC, customer support, have been plaguing MB for some years now. MB is not a "top of the line" anymore and that is a fact. MB is making a lot of improvements over the past few years but the chapter of poor quality has not closed yet for them. Disclaimer: I own three MB's so I am not am bashing them at all, I love my MB experience, but facts are facts. When I step in my rides, I know it is a Mercedes, the fit, finish, and quality are there.

I don't think a Hyundai buyer thinks they have a Benz at all. Many people I know that have Hyundai's know they have a Hyundai, and could care less about spending $30K and up for a car. They feel that's too much money into a car for just point A to B. Just some of the convo's I have had with Hyundai owners. Me, I like a quality driving experience. I chose MB's for that experience, as I am not a "A to B driver." Hell, I don't think any MB driver is.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:43 PM

a car
Imitation is the sincerest form of compliment.

Can't complain much if you are the bottom-feeder brand and "aspire" to be one of the greats..
Old 12-07-2009, 07:00 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Gotta give it to Hyundai, they are in it to win it and are pulling no punches. Sales are beaming (showing better progress than any other Manufacturer), and are rapidly somewhat mending what was a very broken image.

Right now if you are on a certain budget, you can be pretty assured that nameplate aside, Hyundai might just give you the best actual *car* for your money.

I think the Genesis looks good, but this one posted is fugly. Sure it copies everyone as that is what Hyndai does, but I don't think it's aesthetic is completely aimed at an S-Class only. Also, M-B copied others with their W212's rear fender hump (Bentley GT, some Toyota SUV, not to mention seemingly tons of '10 & '11 cars are coming out with it at the same time).

That new Sonata looks HIDEOUS. Everyone is copying the CLS's look, which to me personally isn't that great overall to begin with, and completely fumbling the living hell out of it.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM

10 S550 4matic Palladium, 12 G550 Edition Select Silver, 10 BMW 128i Cabrio Blue Water
....only am left wondering about the strange combo of owning a nice $12k Rolex and a C350 :-)[/QUOTE]
:
Old 12-13-2009, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Smile

Originally Posted by CL55_Serge
Well said. Agree with all points below, only am left wondering about the strange combo of owning a nice $12k Rolex and a C350 :-)
In the states I always had Company leased MB S (and when I come to the US I still enjoy them); however, in Argentina I found the C the means to blend with the crowd -makes me feel safer in this crazy atmosphere environment-. When it showed up in 2008, the redesign convinced me that it conjugated a common ricer look, with a fully comfortable cabin full of options and a powerfully safe power train for the environment.

I've enjoyed Mercedes since my first 1952 170D coupe, but I also respect my privacy, security and safety. I would not emit an opinion without first hand knowledge, or to hide behind the Jones' image.

Cheers, Serge. JV

PS: Though I own the Rolex, I do prefer to wear my Patek Phillipe, more of a thinner piece and not so showy. When you had to travel a lot, you end up collecting some gadgets.

PS2: I follow and enjoy the fora, and the S in particular for being more mature and serious than some others preferred by the kids.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Saw the Equus yesterday at the auto show. The front end is definitely much better looking in person than in pics, the engine bay had ugly, cheap-looking plastic. The interior was very nice, IMO. Lots of high-quality leather, suede, overall very nice although I don't like the navi area. It also has an ugly hood-ornament. Definitely a good car for a Hyundai.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:27 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by QuadBenz
Saw the Equus yesterday at the auto show. The front end is definitely much better looking in person than in pics, the engine bay had ugly, cheap-looking plastic. The interior was very nice, IMO. Lots of high-quality leather, suede, overall very nice although I don't like the navi area. It also has an ugly hood-ornament. Definitely a good car for a Hyundai.
Saw it last week. I gotta say Hyundai has done there homework, that interior is very rich and nice. A bit overboard, but to me it seems like they're pulling no punches. I actually prefer the Genesis' interior, a little more subdued, but also more mature. Coming from an M-B that underlying quality and sturdiness, attention to materials isn't quiite there, but the average Joe probably might not notice all that.

I don't like the exterior much, but it's still a pretty well done design in terms of the body sculpting, etc. I just don't like the overall shape and idea.

The rear has wooden TRAYS that come out of the front seats. Funny thing is, they were cheap and flimsy, I opened it and closed it a few times and it broke. People in the car were like "well it's Hyundai", I told the lady that they should probably get it fixed or people will literally write the whole car off and focus on that "well, it's still a Hyundai" aspect.

The logo and hood ornament are RIDICULOUS, so ridiculous.

Last edited by K-A; 12-13-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 S550 with AMG Sport Pkg
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”… in this case copying the masters is the easiest way to make a lot of money.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:56 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

It's been happening since the beginning of time. What is the case however, is the imitators are catching up, and the imitated, are being accused of "imitating" the imitators.... Hmm if a wood chuck could chuck wood than....

With every new M-B and BMW design, we hear "looks like a Lexus, Hyundai", etc. Take it how you will, but it shows these are different times, and although everyone still looks to the Europeans for the next big thing, market leaders are coming from Asia in many respects, and no doubt the Germans have noted that, and are taking influence themselves. The classic, teacher V student situation.

What's funny to me is, since the beginning of time it seems, when people want to compliment the look of a cheaper car, they say "if you take the badge off, people would think it's a Mercedes/BMW, etc.". My Dad has been saying that forever with every newly launched nice car. He saw my DD Malibu the other day and said in these words "if I didn't see a Chevy badge I would have thought it was a Mercedes".

You gotta think, many non car buffs feel the same way, especially toward cars that *really* push to look like Benzes, Bimmers, etc.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Yes, I do see something similiar:

But the front end looks bad to me:

Many more photos here:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_07.html

Last edited by Jason B; 03-28-2014 at 08:06 PM.