S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MB longevity / how safety systems will function

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
MB longevity / how safety systems will function

After years of switching cars and opting for new, I've decided to keep my S600 for the long haul and hence went for the extended warranty.
You see lots of 10 and 15 yr. old Mercedes on the road, but how well do all of their saftey systems work? Air bags, sensors and all the rest could deteriorate/fail or be useless after 10 years -- or not.
Anyone have any insight? Not everyone wants to keep dropping 100+ k on cars on a regular basis. An S 600 is the top of the line and a car worth keeping for its comfort/handling/options etc. But will it still do the job in 10 yrs?
Old 01-31-2010, 12:21 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
There is no precise or quantitative answer...need to use CommonSense/Stats/Engineering 101 principles to judge risks for self

All structures/sensors/systems/airbags/seatbelts/brakes&tires have decay curves, shapes of which are fairly unknown even to MB engineers as tech of 2010 is radically different from tech content/networks of '00 or '90 cars...many advances over past 5 yrs in high-strength steel&glass as well as smart brakes/seatbelts and a myriad of hardware/software safety networks like PreSafe, etc

Driving is likely one's riskiest daily activity

Most who can afford $150K+ commuter cars have a high net worth and value their health/safety more than do low net worth guys

Can't ever buy back one's health if one's "economical" bet on an old car proves misjudged in that perhaps once in a lifetime major collision

Hell, many capable drivers will never have a collision in their life, so can laughingly claim, in retrospect, that all money spent for greater safety was "wasted"

Would argue one's health and daily peace of mind will always supersede a few bucks "wasted" on maximizing safety
Old 01-31-2010, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by WSH
There is no precise or quantitative answer...need to use CommonSense/Stats/Engineering 101 principles to judge risks for self

All structures/sensors/systems/airbags/seatbelts/brakes&tires have decay curves, shapes of which are fairly unknown even to MB engineers as tech of 2010 is radically different from tech content/networks of '00 or '90 cars...many advances over past 5 yrs in high-strength steel&glass as well as smart brakes/seatbelts and a myriad of hardware/software safety networks like PreSafe, etc

Most who can afford $150K+ commuter cars have a high net worth and value their health/safety more than do low net worth guys

Can't ever buy back one's health if one's "economical" bet on an old car proves misjudged in that perhaps once in a lifetime major collision

Hell, many capable drivers will never have a collision in their life, so can laughingly claim, in retrospect, that all money spent for greater safety was "wasted"

Would argue one's health and daily peace of mind will always supersede a few bucks "wasted" on maximizing safety
Nicely put!

+1
Old 01-31-2010, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
If anything, airbags would need to be replaced, but I wouldn't expect the car's safety systems to fail. The thing I'd be worried about is how much more advanced cars are in 10-15 years and whether or not it would be able to withstand the other, newer cars in any sort of accident.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:49 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Airbags last a long time.
I had one of the first Mercedes with an airbag, 1985 500SEC. It has a sticker that said to service the airbags after TEN years. Materials have improved. Current models do not have an airbag service interval specified.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Wink

Originally Posted by WSH

THUMBS UP, I have to agree
Old 01-31-2010, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by steveb9771
I had one of the first Mercedes with an airbag, 1985 500SEC. It has a sticker that said to service the airbags after TEN years. Materials have improved. Current models do not have an airbag service interval specified.
Good to know.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by steveb9771
That was true for my '89 190E. Mercedes then extended the airbag life to 15 years., but I did have to have the airbag computer replaced after 4 years.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'87 260E, '00 C230, 01 S500
My '87 still going strong, but I should get those airbags checked. I've only read of 1 w124 here on the forum where a piece of debris hit the airbag sensor just right that caused it to go off despite no crash. That must have been scary.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by WSH
jfc
Old 01-31-2010, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by AsianML
jfc
I know. Where is OliverK when you need him anyway?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
I think WSH is trying to say that you should have traded that dangerous clunker in 37 times already if you value your life and the safety of your family.

I'm no chemist, but if I remember correctly from my Chem 101 class and for that matter, 6th grade science, chemical compounds have half lives, and I would venture that the "solid rocket fuel" style propellants found in airbags will probably last close to a century if not longer before deteriorating to the level of nonfunctional. If you liken it to smokeless powder or gun powder, they last a long time before they wouldn't burn. As far as the bags themselves, they are made of a heavy nylon, which when not exposed to light, or air for that matter, will last a long time also. Is there an exact science used to determine the useful life, maybe, but I doubt we as a society have really determined how long some of the things we've created will last.

Nick
Old 01-31-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Originally Posted by MB260E
My '87 still going strong, but I should get those airbags checked. I've only read of 1 w124 here on the forum where a piece of debris hit the airbag sensor just right that caused it to go off despite no crash. That must have been scary.
The only times I have ever seen any old MB deploy airbags without some sort of impact(deep potholes included) is when the front flex disc on the drive shaft is worn out and it isn't changed before it explodes. The remnants slam into the transmission tunnel right below the Airbag control module. That is one small reason for relocating multiple sensors to the front of the car also.

Nick
Old 01-31-2010, 11:03 PM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by AsianML
jfc
+1
Old 02-01-2010, 12:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by carsnob
After years of switching cars and opting for new, I've decided to keep my S600 for the long haul and hence went for the extended warranty.
You see lots of 10 and 15 yr. old Mercedes on the road, but how well do all of their saftey systems work? Air bags, sensors and all the rest could deteriorate/fail or be useless after 10 years -- or not.
Anyone have any insight? Not everyone wants to keep dropping 100+ k on cars on a regular basis. An S 600 is the top of the line and a car worth keeping for its comfort/handling/options etc. But will it still do the job in 10 yrs?
Yes I am exactly of the same mind as you - after all, where else do you go from an S600? ...short of a Roller. (Joke) Now at 2.5 years in, I don't have the slightest desire to drive anything else with 4 doors and a trunk.

The way I look at the longevity question is that (i) structurally the car is going to be as solid in 10 - 15 years as it is right now from a mechanical and passive safety POV, (ii) air-bags are proven technology and there is nothing high tech or distinctive about the MB bags in themselves that is not shared with every other manufacturer and tested and qualified, though (iii) the active-safety electronics that might trigger them are distinctive but at the same time can be diagnosed if not functioning during proper service. (iv) The sensors like radar are easily tested in day to day driving - they either work or do not.

Implicit in keeping a car this long is that it is treated well, serviced regularly, and on maximum extension warranty. (Which we both have)

Even if the active-safety sensors all failed at 10 years old, you are still driving a car that has more passive safety measures than most any other car. Based on my trouble free experience so far, I have not the slightest worry that my S600 will let me down if I am still driving it 10 years from now. (Or my son has inherited it!)

Chris
Old 02-01-2010, 11:45 PM

2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
You guys in this forum provide some great insight! -- Thanks!
As for WSH, I may have to hit you up for a loan for a new 2017 S 660
so that I won't feel guilty about diriving my family around in a decrepit 10 yr old S 600.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 AM

I often wondered what would be the quality of a 10 - 15 year old MB, but more from a maintenance standpoint than a safety standpoint.

This WSH guy is truely entertaining to say the least. Would be nice to listen to him ramble over a nice prime meal, rib-eye of course.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by AHall
I often wondered what would be the quality of a 10 - 15 year old MB, but more from a maintenance standpoint than a safety standpoint.

This WSH guy is truely entertaining to say the least. Would be nice to listen to him ramble over a nice prime meal, rib-eye of course.
Well, that would depend on the age of the cow. Cows have lifespans, if you are not carefull you could get a piece of meat that is past its prime-you would then put your family's life in danger....
Old 02-02-2010, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by nick 55
I think WSH is trying to say that you should have traded that dangerous clunker in 37 times already if you value your life and the safety of your family.

I'm no chemist, but if I remember correctly from my Chem 101 class and for that matter, 6th grade science, chemical compounds have half lives, and I would venture that the "solid rocket fuel" style propellants found in airbags will probably last close to a century if not longer before deteriorating to the level of nonfunctional. If you liken it to smokeless powder or gun powder, they last a long time before they wouldn't burn. As far as the bags themselves, they are made of a heavy nylon, which when not exposed to light, or air for that matter, will last a long time also. Is there an exact science used to determine the useful life, maybe, but I doubt we as a society have really determined how long some of the things we've created will last.

Nick
How dare you have the temerity to argue with WSH. I mean the guy's so rich he dare not even post a picture of his myriad new SL/S/CLs (all copies of the AMG variety, naturally). Hell I worry every day about my POS BMW which has an epic 18,500 miles on it now. What a dinosaur.

A W221 S-class will of course still be a very safe way to travel in the year 2017 and beyond, prior accidents and maintenance etc not withstanding. The W220, which is coming on for 12 years old, proves this by arguably still being safer than +95 percent of vehicles on the road.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:15 PM

2013 SL550 Tectite Black
Originally Posted by WSH
I guess you are right. The folks without a high net worth don't value their safety as much as guys who are high net worth...

That's your explanation?? mor*n!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:02 PM

2006 EB 16.4 (just a Volkswagen)
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
How dare you have the temerity to argue with WSH. I mean the guy's so rich he dare not even post a picture of his myriad new SL/S/CLs (all copies of the AMG variety, naturally). Hell I worry every day about my POS BMW which has an epic 18,500 miles on it now. What a dinosaur.

A W221 S-class will of course still be a very safe way to travel in the year 2017 and beyond, prior accidents and maintenance etc not withstanding. The W220, which is coming on for 12 years old, proves this by arguably still being safer than +95 percent of vehicles on the road.

-n