S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Heating issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010 | 02:23 PM

MB S350CDI 4matic
Heating issues

I have a serious but weird issue and hope someone can help...
I have a new S350 CDI 4matic, 2010, just took delivery a few weeks ago, only 770 km on the clock now and my issue is that I am cold in the car.
I have the standard 2-zone aircon in the car and have taken the car now for a longer trip (500 km) and even when I set the aircon temp to 26 deg Celsius the left handside of the car is cooler, actually so much cooler that my left foot feels cold and my left hand if kept on the steering wheel at the 3/4 to 3 position feels cold as well. If I lean to the center of the car and keep my left foot as much to the center as possible I am fine but this is not the greatest of seating positions as you can guess...
I have played with all the settings in the aircon to no avail. I have had the service shop check out the car and they claim they have measured all the sensors they can and told me the car is OK like this.

I still have my 2007 BMW 730d (E65) and there the heating is just perfect, never even close to getting cold and I have the aircon set to 22 deg Celsius. Also with the standard 2-zone aircon unit.

The situation is just so annoying that I continue driving my BMW as it is cold outside and if this doesn't get sorted it looks I will sell the MB...

Please share your thoughts and hints on what could be wrong!

Thank you!
Old 03-08-2010 | 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
The only thing I will say is make sure the temp is set the same for both sides (to test) and then hit both auto buttons and make sure they are lit up. I had a similar problem where the car was trying to cool down and I was looking for heat. It turned out the passenger side was in manual mode and was cranking a/c.

I do have a funny occurrence that has happened twice now- the climate control (which I always keep around 70) will go straight to 78 degrees at startup and the blower goes to max even with the car cold (in effect blasting cold air). I have no idea why this happens, but I will probably not go back to the dealer for it b/c it has not often happened....
Old 03-09-2010 | 11:10 AM

MB S350CDI 4matic
Today I got the protocol from my car's measurement. It is now clear that in the front foot areas there is a huge temperature difference between the right side of the area (for the driver by the middle tunnel) and the left side (for the driver by the door). The measurement indicates the difference is around 50%.

The key issue seems to be that there are no air outlets to left of the dashboard in the foot areas. My service rep is raising the issue with MB Germany to see what they have to say. He took the car for a spin and could feel the diff himself.

I wonder if this is an issue which has come only with the facelifted cars. Anybody with similar experience from earlier model years?
Old 03-09-2010 | 12:54 PM

'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
2010 S550 with 4-zone climate control -- no issues so far.