S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Looking for a 07-08 S550 !!! urgent... please help :bow:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by aeggroup
Looks like you think it's very easy to sell $50K used car today ? If 2 guys from this forum can't find the car they're looking for - it does not mean dealers have no problem to sell it. I visit to my local MB dealer in Brooklyn and see the same used CPO S-Class ( at least 5 of them ) 2 months already and nobody's rushing to buy them. So, they will wait some time and those cars may end up in Manheim like others.
It is in Massapequa. I missed out on four cars b/c they sold before I could see them or I waited too long (as in overnight). It is fairly easy to find a base model, but to get P2 and an AMG package is much much harder, and they sell fast- here they are going in one week for low to mid $50's
Old 04-19-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by emilner
They do get the cars there. But keep in mind, auction prices cannot begin to tell you the condition of a car. Does the car need its bumpers painted, does it need tires, does it have a cracked windshield, seat damage, poor prior body repair, carfax problems?

When a dealer buys a car from auction they typically invest $2-4k getting it ready to be a CPO, don't forget they need to buy the extended warranty (albeit at a discounted rate). Typically a dealer will need to paint at least one bumper, put on new tires, buy the CPO and maybe fix some damaged/missing trim. In my case they painted the front bumper, put on new tires, wet sanded the car, replaced all sill plates and several broken trim pieces, put in new floor mats fr/r and updated the telematics/nav disc. (I am probably forgetting a few things) They then need to carry the finace cost of the vehicle and still leave room for profit.

The raw numbers at auction can be very misleading....
Good point man. Didn't think about that
Old 04-19-2010, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They do get the cars there. But keep in mind, auction prices cannot begin to tell you the condition of a car. Does the car need its bumpers painted, does it need tires, does it have a cracked windshield, seat damage, poor prior body repair, carfax problems?

When a dealer buys a car from auction they typically invest $2-4k getting it ready to be a CPO, don't forget they need to buy the extended warranty (albeit at a discounted rate). Typically a dealer will need to paint at least one bumper, put on new tires, buy the CPO and maybe fix some damaged/missing trim. In my case they painted the front bumper, put on new tires, wet sanded the car, replaced all sill plates and several broken trim pieces, put in new floor mats fr/r and updated the telematics/nav disc. (I am probably forgetting a few things) They then need to carry the finace cost of the vehicle and still leave room for profit.

Some good analysis there.

But you would think that the dealers wouldn't have to go to the auction at all - the customers are returning leased vehicles to them. They can assess in a few minutes how much work a returned car needs, to be good choices for their CPO inventory - they let these cars go to auction anyway? Why not just buy them from the leasing company right when they are returned?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
They sometimes do, often actually. The better cars are snapped up by the dealer when they are returned (as was mine- even then the dealer had a good amount of work to do. They told me it is frightening how wrecked some cars come back from lease), the lesser ones go to auction. Hence why the low prices we always see quoted....
Old 04-20-2010, 05:46 PM

10 S550 4matic Palladium, 12 G550 Edition Select Silver, 10 BMW 128i Cabrio Blue Water

Absolutely correct...I got mid-high 40's in trade for my 07, it is being marketed at 59K as CPO..all in all they probably have 52-53K into it..plus carrying costs..plus negotiations...reasonable profit is probably 3-4K. So Manheim prices are not a true indicator of actual values for any particular vehicle.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:42 PM

BMW 550i
Questions for you

That is going to be tough to get at that price. You will have to sacrifice somewhere- either in options, mileage, price or questionable lineage...
I have been following your posts and I am interested in a similar car. I had some questions for you:

I love the S Class and it has always been "king of the hill" for me. In 05 I REALLY wanted an S430-500. Having test driven it, I felt it was the best car I had ever had the pleasure to drive. In the end, I passed due to price, concern about reliability and the fact that it was missing some electronic toys that were either not available at all or very costly options (blue tooth, sat radio, back up camera). I wound up leasing an Lexus LS 430 for considerably less. I just couldn't justify the price content ratio of the MB. And of course Lexus was very reliable but very boring to drive. The steering was also very numb and i never felt that I had full control of the car. It sometimes felt as if it was driving me.

I am now at the end of my lease for my BMW 550i which has been great. But I like to switch it up and now I see that a pre-owned S Class (new Generation) seems to make sense financially. So finally I will get to the questions.
The last time I drove the S 550 the steering seemed to be very over boosted in comparison to the last Gen. (almost Lexus like). How do you find it?

From a strictly financial viewpoint, how do you feel the car will depreciate over the next 2 years?

How much do you anticipate you will have to invest in maint./ repairs?

My buy out on the bimmer is about 42K and it only has 30K miles. I could likely get them to knock it down to about 40 and I have one year left on full service (a really great thing about BMW). But the S Class is very special as I said.
So all in all, did you look at you decision as a good financial one or more emotional (of course cars are never good investments- but I think you get my point.)
Your car sounds great. Enjoy it and thanks for your input.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Originally Posted by Topspin
I have been following your posts and I am interested in a similar car. I had some questions for you:

I love the S Class and it has always been "king of the hill" for me. In 05 I REALLY wanted an S430-500. Having test driven it, I felt it was the best car I had ever had the pleasure to drive. In the end, I passed due to price, concern about reliability and the fact that it was missing some electronic toys that were either not available at all or very costly options (blue tooth, sat radio, back up camera). I wound up leasing an Lexus LS 430 for considerably less. I just couldn't justify the price content ratio of the MB. And of course Lexus was very reliable but very boring to drive. The steering was also very numb and i never felt that I had full control of the car. It sometimes felt as if it was driving me.

I am now at the end of my lease for my BMW 550i which has been great. But I like to switch it up and now I see that a pre-owned S Class (new Generation) seems to make sense financially. So finally I will get to the questions.
The last time I drove the S 550 the steering seemed to be very over boosted in comparison to the last Gen. (almost Lexus like). How do you find it?

From a strictly financial viewpoint, how do you feel the car will depreciate over the next 2 years?

How much do you anticipate you will have to invest in maint./ repairs?

My buy out on the bimmer is about 42K and it only has 30K miles. I could likely get them to knock it down to about 40 and I have one year left on full service (a really great thing about BMW). But the S Class is very special as I said.
So all in all, did you look at you decision as a good financial one or more emotional (of course cars are never good investments- but I think you get my point.)
Your car sounds great. Enjoy it and thanks for your input.
I also looked at a 430 a few years ago. Nice car, but it was emotionless for me. I wound up with my E550 which was a fantastic car.

My guess is a well cared for, appropriate miles car with options will bottom in the 30's in the next two years then slowely drift into the 20's by late 2012-13 and on. The bulk of the depreciation has been had. 2005 S500's are going for mid to high 20's now, and it will soon be 7 model years old. It also is considered to be an overall poor generation of the S class. which has hurt resale values.

Maintenence should be the close car to car, I for one do not get raped by the dealer prices, my oil changes cost $80, not $260. You can get a 2007 CPO warranteed until 2011-12 and then pick up a AAA or equivalent warranty to give you full coverage until 2015-17 for an extra $3500.

I will say I have never driven a prior gen S class, so I cannot compare them. I will say this car will drive nothing like the 550i. If you are looking for a sports sedan to carve corners, look elsewhere- the E550 or 550i will do a better job. If you are looking for an automotive experience every time you drive, check out the S. It is big, it is heavy, but transforms your conception of what a car is. The steering is a little overboosted, the drivetrain resists aggressive driving, but when you want to drive it like you stole it the car puts a grin on your face like no other. I have taken really high speed corners way faster than I should have and the car has looked back asking for more...
Old 05-08-2010, 11:03 AM

BMW 550i
update?

That is going to be tough to get at that price. You will have to sacrifice somewhere- either in options, mileage, price or questionable lineage...
I saw that you recently joined the S Class crew and I read your very thorough and knowledgeable initial write up. I have always found that there was a certain "honeymoon" period with a new car and that it takes a while to see if you are really in love and for the few faults to show through. I was curious if you would want to update your review. I am in the market for a new ride this fall and this is a car I'm considering but only pre-owned as I cannot justify the price of a new one. I must be very atypical of car shoppers because I consider all types (sports, luxury, GT etc.) and just get the one I like best at that time. My last luxury barge was a Lexus 430 which is a fine car but I got bored of it very quickly. (I felt like it was driving me and I didn't feel really in control of it due to very vague and over boosted steering and a wallowing suspension.) It was plush, reliable, screwed together exceptionally well, super quiet and serene and had great electronics and toys which were not available on the MB S at the time. I am currently driving a BMW 550i with sport package and it is a great car. It's about as close to an M5 that is easy to live with and gets decent gas mileage. I like to change it up so for my next car I might go back to the luxury class or to the real sporty class. Do you find that you take your S Class out for rides just for the sake of driving or is it more that when you have to go someplace you're just really happy to have the S Class because it makes the trip pleasant? (do you look for excuses to go get an ice cream or the newspaper so you can take a ride?)

Thanks for any new viewpoints on your beautiful S class.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Yes, some of the honeymoon love has been diluted, but not for any fault of the car. That is the nature of emotions, no matter how much you love something you will over time get used to it. It still puts a smile on my face when I drive. I certainly drive it much slower than my E, I don't nail it off the line for sh*ts and giggles like I used to.

Some extended observations after 4 months of driving:

-The car is BIG. I mean BIG. It feels bigger than my wife's Escalade. Three point maneuvers are often needed to get her in a parking spot. I really wish we had the SWB option here in the US.
-The throttle is more muted than I would prefer in C. I feel you really need to get down on the gas to wake it up (not engine power wise, just pedal position).
-I wish it had a way of selecting suspension setting independently of C/S. I would like to drive in S and comfort on the suspension, but you are either all sport or all comfort.
-In comfort the suspension with the AMG package is a little firmer than you would expect. Not bad, but I would like it dialed back a little. I would also like sport dialed firmer a little.
-Steering is exactly what I want from a car, as are the brakes.
-Range is fantastic. I get roughly 325-350 miles before filling up, mostly city (LI) driving.
-Gas mileage is surprisingly good. I am averaging roughly 17.4 mpg with an average speed in the 20's (on the display). On the highway she goes quickly to the mid 20's.
-Stereo is great now that my sub was replaced. I do miss a well sorted iPod kit. I may eventually put one in.
-BT works great, I like the little phone pad on the console. It is also convenient to change stations presets.
-A/C is ICE cold. I think MB still needs to sort their climate controls. In my GM trucks you set a temp and forget ever changing it. In my S, like my E's, you are always raising or lowering the temp. It seems the system has more of an off/on characteristic, not a varying degree of air temp. Everything is working, and yes the fan speeds work. But even at low speed the air is freezing cold- so that on a mild day when you need a 'little' cooling you can often feel very cold breezes from the vents. Heat seems fine, I never noticed anything wrong (which to me means well executed).
-Heated seats are great (I do wish I had control to independently turn on back vs bottom like my truck). Cooled seats are far better than my E. Still no where near as good as GM, but better.
-Lumbar is annoying. I need to have it fixed. It loses air in the bladder after 1-2 hours now. Plus it seems that they have the bladder right against the leather. When you start inflating it it feels like a rock against your back; I would also like to raise the height of it. It seems to be so low that it pushes my butt off the seat, not my lower back. Again GM blows away MB here (I am comparing the two bc that is my other vehicle and I consider it very well executed on my 'slade)
-Distronic+ is the greatest feature found in cars today, enough said!!
-I wish I had a rear view camera, but I can't see spending over $1000 to get one.
-Interior is very well sorted, controls well placed, again as I mentioned in other reviews, one of the nicest places on earth you could plant your butt...
-Handling is wonderful. Everyday driving is confident and non- intrusive. Nail the gas and yank the wheel and the car corners like nothing else. Even though you never forget how large it is, you can't believe it can handle as good as it does. No squeal, no slides, no unsettling, just point- hold on, and GO...

I am trying to pick out a few nit-picks. It is quite hard to find faults with the car. I know I will never find the perfect car bc I am one of the pickiest persons around. Some of what I gripe about has been fixed in later years, but I will stress they are mostly minor gripes. I still hate arriving at my destination. The least favorite part of my day is shutting off the car and leaving it. I sometimes wish I had a 100 mile commute, as long as I could do 80 and have nice scenery I would be in heaven....
Old 05-08-2010, 04:00 PM

BMW 550i
"The least favorite part of my day is shutting off the car and leaving it. I sometimes wish I had a 100 mile commute,"
To paraphrase an old joke, I once had a job like that!

Thanks for the update and enjoy your car. To me it's king of the rode and maybe the best car in the world if there is such a thing.

Last edited by Topspin; 05-08-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 PM

2007 S550
Hey MBZ world! I have a question and I hope that I can get some of your opinions.
I drive a 2007 S550 and I just installed 22" rims. The suspension is STOCK, but it still rubs!!
Is this normal?? Any information would help! Thanks!
FYI- the tire company said to bring it back and they would take a look at it.... I just want to have a heads up. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2016, 01:13 AM

camry
Anyone know what the 2014s are goin for at the auction s550
Old 01-03-2016, 07:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.
Damn Emilner, they hooked your certified car up. You basically drove off with a new car.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by Del Cee
Anyone know what the 2014s are goin for at the auction s550
Here it is ( it's 4Matic):

12/09/15 PA Lease $57,600 39,647 Below IRI SIL 8GT P No
12/09/15 NASHVILL Lease $77,350 20,559 Above DIA WHT 8G P No
12/11/15 PA Lease $69,400 39,285 Avg MOCH BLK 8GT P Yes
12/11/15 PA Lease $68,300 28,077 Avg MOCH BLK 8GT P Yes
12/11/15 PA Lease $60,000 45,561 Below GREY 8G P Yes
12/16/15 NJ Lease $62,000 58,631 Below BLACK 8G A Yes
12/16/15 MILWAUKE Regular $67,500 26,529 Avg BLACK 8G A Yes
12/18/15 PA Lease $69,300 26,750 Avg MAG BLK 8GT P Yes
12/23/15 STATESVL Regular $70,000 31,936 Avg Black 8CY A Yes
12/23/15 PA Factory $78,900 4,983 Above BLACK 8G P Yes
12/25/15 PA Lease $68,200 23,773 Avg LUN BLU 8GT P Yes
12/25/15 NJ Lease $64,500 42,148 Avg BLK 8GT A Yes
12/29/15 PA Regular $71,000 16,668 Avg BLACK 8G P Yes
12/29/15 PA Regular $65,000 27,447 Avg BLUE (DA 8G P Yes
12/31/15 NJ Lease $68,700 14,519 Avg MAG BLK 8GT A Yes
12/31/15 NJ Lease $68,150 25,068 Avg MAG BLK 8GT A Yes
01/01/16 NJ
Old 01-03-2016, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 376 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
It is shocking how bad and how fast these cars depreciate.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe | 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Used car prices typically follow a free market model with supply and demand. Used "status symbol" types of luxury cars don't have a lot of demand. They are expensive to maintain and repairs can represent a significant percentage of the entry cost of the vehicle.
BMW 7 series, S Class, Audi A8 all have very steep depreciation due to low demand. Although the cost of entry can be modest, anyone entertaining acquiring any of these cars should review the projected total cost of ownership and be ready to address some of the potential issues, either through warranty, owner mechanical skills, or whatever may be negotiated through Mercedes if any goodwill is available. Ultimately you will pay it now or later, but some repairs should be expected.
Sometimes the cheapest S class will be the most expensive, and a more expensive, low mileage well maintained car will be cheaper to own. The caveat is the pristine, dealer maintained car can have an expensive failure as well, although the overall risk may be lower.
What many people don't count on is that a major repair does not increase the cars value. If
you replaced air struts, control arms, conductor plate(sausage), or even the transmission, the car's value is the same, it only affects your cost of ownership.
The message is whether you buy new or used, have a plan on how you will address each fairly predictable issue upfront. Maybe we should create a sticky with common issues and costs/solutions.
The flip side of the used S-Class is a new S-Class. Check out the lease cost, it is around $2,000 per month.

Last edited by MrRat; 01-04-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.
Originally Posted by superpop
It is shocking how bad and how fast these cars depreciate.
Not really, beemers depreviate even faster. You want a car That holds great resale consider a Honda. That's probably one of the main reasons that many people lease, but honestly most these cars especially luxury brands depreciate at a high rate.

Last edited by wilassasin; 01-04-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Acura TL 2008 - Acura MDX 2012
He asked for auction.

They are going for 30-60k depending on damages.