S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Problem With COMAND

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C300
Problem With COMAND

When I have the music on & navigation guidance on at the same time, whenever the COMAND is announcing directions the music won't lower it's volume.......I took my car to the dealer to have them update my navi with the latest software already and they spent a day trying to figure what was the problem but failed........2 days later the SA calls me & said that they have another S with the similar problem & the foreman did some research but there are currently no fix for this issue yet........

any thoughts
Old 03-17-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 S550 designo
Mine is the same way... It depends on the sound level of the music. If it is not above a certain point, no lowering occurs. If above that magical point, it lowers as it is supposed to. Unfortunately that level seems to be too high for my normal listening pleasure. My dealer updated the software, looked for days as well and finally opened a case with MB New Jersey. Nothing came of it.

Luckily, I don't have to use voice guidance too often, so it's not a big problem in my case.

Good luck,
Old 03-17-2010, 04:50 PM

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Trey
Mine is the same way... It depends on the sound level of the music. If it is not above a certain point, no lowering occurs. If above that magical point, it lowers as it is supposed to. Unfortunately that level seems to be too high for my normal listening pleasure. My dealer updated the software, looked for days as well and finally opened a case with MB New Jersey. Nothing came of it.

Luckily, I don't have to use voice guidance too often, so it's not a big problem in my case.

Good luck,
You're right about the "magical point", my SA told me even if the music lowers it still not very noticeable unlike other models where it's very noticeable................my SA said to check back with him in couple months to see if MB release new software update
Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
P-B-82.85/512g SEPT08 COMAND and Telematics system having any of the conditions below the COMAND Head Unit and Telematics Ring software is to be updated with DAS and Telematics disc A221 827 63 59 ES2: 0002 (or newer).

- Intermittently, head unit does not display radio station name, artist and track (RDS) info
- During a multi-line telephone call in navigation screen, the COMAND display may turn dark
- Audio source volume not lowering during a navigation announcement in route guidance
- Intermittently, vehicle shows incorrect position even with more than three satellites visible
- Wrong navigation compass indicator
- Intermittently, back up camera image not shown on the COMAND display
- User’s cellular telephone phonebook entries are not completely down loaded
- COMAND display swivels left-right on its own and may not stop until driver turns ignition off
- Intermittent resets of the COMAND head unit
- During an active telephone call user tries to reject it by pressing REJECT both calls terminate
- Intermittently, head unit does not correctly toggle between name and # in telephone book
- No sound on startup with empty play field on head unit
- Incorrect GPS coordinates displayed in status line
- Inaccurate navigation voice or visual announcements during active route guidance
Old 03-18-2010, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by steveb9771
P-B-82.85/512g SEPT08 COMAND and Telematics system having any of the conditions below the COMAND Head Unit and Telematics Ring software is to be updated with DAS and Telematics disc A221 827 63 59 ES2: 0002 (or newer).
Would anyone have this telematics disc available?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 PM

2016 C300
Originally Posted by steveb9771

- Intermittently, head unit does not display radio station name, artist and track (RDS) info
- During a multi-line telephone call in navigation screen, the COMAND display may turn dark
- Audio source volume not lowering during a navigation announcement in route guidance
- Intermittently, vehicle shows incorrect position even with more than three satellites visible
- Wrong navigation compass indicator
- Intermittently, back up camera image not shown on the COMAND display
- User’s cellular telephone phonebook entries are not completely down loaded
- COMAND display swivels left-right on its own and may not stop until driver turns ignition off
- Intermittent resets of the COMAND head unit
- During an active telephone call user tries to reject it by pressing REJECT both calls terminate
- Intermittently, head unit does not correctly toggle between name and # in telephone book
- No sound on startup with empty play field on head unit
- Incorrect GPS coordinates displayed in status line
- Inaccurate navigation voice or visual announcements during active route guidance
I actually provided them with a copy of this info when I went in..........they said they uploaded the update but the problem persists. ( after the update, i was able to get bird's eye view, watch DVD while parked)
Old 03-18-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
I don't think there's an update for this issue as it behaves in exactly same way on my MY2010 S550. Personally, I like it better this way but would prefer a setting that controls how much the music volume is reduced during COMAND announcements.