S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2011 S550 Engine Spec Twin Turbo 4.7 516 ft-lb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Originally Posted by emilner
I cant wait for start/ stop, dead quiet at a light is awesome. It's the only feature I like about hybrids. And no, AC does not stop, every manufacturer is moving to electrically run compressors and accessories. If you want to stay away from the feature, buy the last available year car w/o it, because nearly every car made in the next 6-7 years is guaranteed to have it. Hopefully you can keep that vehicle in good enough shape for the rest of your driving life.

And when the competition is moving to 400+ hp, you stay competitive. When you can achieve that with an additional 22% fuel economy, you have a flagship that is easier on CAFE and still ROCKS....
The start/stop feature is defeatable, i.e. you can turn it off and simply have the car work as a normal car would.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:55 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by WSH
On AMG PL, many screamed at AMG about the idiocy of Start/Stop on new 63 motor this Fall, esp in combination with a poss buggy MCT gearbox (which can mysteriously freeze at speed like many of these new funky gearboxes)

AMG indicated it's a feature that can be programmed "off" at delivery..
The Controlled Efficiency Start/Stop function is always deactivated in (S) Sport and (M) Manual mode. Although "on" in (C) Comfort mode, it can be switched off by the driver.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
EPA isn't going to give them any "credit" for a feature that can be turned off - why even bother to include it? 1% of the owners are going to use it.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 550i
Originally Posted by Ferri
The start/stop feature is defeatable, i.e. you can turn it off and simply have the car work as a normal car would.
So 0-60 in mid 4's and mpg hwy of 30? Wow!!!!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's good that the start/stop can be optioned off.

I wonder if MBUSA will bring an S with the V6 to the US. The 2011 "S470" is going to be over the top in the power department for a large part of the segment that buys the S - the older buyers don't need 429 HP and 500+ on the torque number.

No mention in the article if MB has some system to avoid fouling of the intake rake on the DI engine (new Audi's have this problem). There were some rumors about an onboard cleaning solution in a refillable cannister, or perhaps they have designed a better oil separator unit for the PCV system.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:38 PM

BMW 550i
Originally Posted by nyca
It's good that the start/stop can be optioned off.

I wonder if MBUSA will bring an S with the V6 to the US. The 2011 "S470" is going to be over the top in the power department for a large part of the segment that buys the S - the older buyers don't need 429 HP and 500+ on the torque number.

No mention in the article if MB has some system to avoid fouling of the intake rake on the DI engine (new Audi's have this problem). There were some rumors about an onboard cleaning solution in a refillable cannister, or perhaps they have designed a better oil separator unit for the PCV system.
I've never heard of a car with 500 torque. What has that; a Viper?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 AM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
When do you guys think we will see the 2011 models advertised on the MBUSA site?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by Topspin
I've never heard of a car with 500 torque. What has that; a Viper?
More than a few have that nowadays....
Old 05-10-2010, 10:36 AM

S63 / CLS63
can't wait for the TT e63...
Old 05-10-2010, 04:04 PM

S550
Originally Posted by epasc
Bummer. Just bought a new 2010.

Congrats on the new purchase!!!! If ya need an excuse to get the 11', give ms the '10 for 1/2 price and grab that 11' like ya stole it
Old 05-10-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wantmy1stbenz
Congrats on the new purchase!!!! If ya need an excuse to get the 11', give ms the '10 for 1/2 price and grab that 11' like ya stole it
Thanks. Actually I'm quite happy with my car - just poking fun at my and others' need to have the latest and greatest.

What is does mean is that your "1st Benz" can be had more cheaply now. I got $2,500 under invoice on mine. Wait a few months and you will probably do much better on an existing 2010.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:51 PM

S550
Originally Posted by epasc
Thanks. Actually I'm quite happy with my car - just poking fun at my and others' need to have the latest and greatest.

What is does mean is that your "1st Benz" can be had more cheaply now. I got $2,500 under invoice on mine. Wait a few months and you will probably do much better on an existing 2010.

I actually plan on getting an 07' and just putting the 10' lights on it to save a few thousand. If ya know anyone that could give me a great price that would be cool
Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Wow do we really think Mercedes is going to introduce and engine that isn't ready for prime time, now?

Even at their worst they didn't really mess up on the regular production engines. Now that they've got their quality mo-jo back they aren't about to put a buggy engine on the market. Mercedes has more experience with turbocharging than BMW to begin with.

Air conditioning cutting off at every stop? That's so ridiculous its funny.

Seriously the stop-start feature can be turned off, if it is even offered in the U.S. The EPA doesn't recognize them so Mercedes may just leave it off for the U.S. market S550s.

For those who think the 2011 S550 will step on the S63's toes, you must have missed it about 2 months ago when Mercedes also announced an upgraed for the S63. A turbo, 5.5L version of the new 4.7L V8 with up to 571hp and 664 lb-ft of torque with the performance pack. A monster and wait until the tuners get a hold of it.

If anything Mercedes is stepping on the toes of the S65 AMG. Other than V12 smoothness it no longer has any real advantage.

M
Old 05-10-2010, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, how do they handle the air conditioning in a car that has start/stop - is the compressor electric? In any case, its good that it can be turned off.

I think the point is - not that AMG can't make an even more powerful engine - they surely can. The issue is, will fewer people want to step up to it with an S470 biturbo cranking out 500+ ft-lbs of torque?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, how do they handle the air conditioning in a car that has start/stop - is the compressor electric? In any case, its good that it can be turned off.

I think the point is - not that AMG can't make an even more powerful engine - they surely can. The issue is, will fewer people want to step up to it with an S470 biturbo cranking out 500+ ft-lbs of torque?

Think about it, do you really think a 100K luxury car's A/C is going to cut off at every stop. It will operate the same way every other car's whose A/C is electric does. It won't cur off at every stop. That would be absurd. Of course the entire a/c system is electrically operated, compressor and all. A Toyota Prius' a/c doesn't cut off.

Why wouldn't people want to step up? More power and better efficiency is always a plus. The others won't know or care.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 05-11-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)

Start/stop is already used in the Panamera with no interruption of A/C.
I don't see why MB should have a problem with it,probably will work even better then Porsche's.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:49 AM

'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
The problem is that there are too many assumptions. We assume there will be no problems, we assume that the design is right from the get go, we assume that everything in the press release (which is really all about the marketing spin) is true, and many other things solely based on the individual fantasies of the fellow forum members. This is exactly why one would wait for the assumptions to be tested before spending over $100K.

Btw, I just heard from my SA that the updated engine will appear in the fall on the coupes only. The sedans allegedly won't get them until next spring. Now, here's another assumption that he actually knows what he's talking about...
Old 05-11-2010, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Everything introduced today has some hiccups here and there, but to suggest that Mercedes can't get a turbo V8 right, so much so that one should wait until the second model year is just slightly ridiculous at this point. If this were 2000 or even 2005 I'd say there might be cause for concern, but not now.

Mercedes has already done a lot of "testings" with DI in Europe on the same 3.5L V6 that we have here and turbo charging is nothing new to them at all.

The 5.5L V8 in the S550 was brand new and there weren't any serious problems.

So much ado about nothing.

M
Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM

'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
To me, it's more ridiculous to make assumptions on quality and reliability of a product that isn't yet mass produced. No matter how great the engineering effort behind some new technology is (and that's actually something I get to deal with every day), there will always be problems. Being an early adopter is always the trade-off between the latest and greatest, and hitting a few issues here and there. I prefer greater reliability and usability over bleeding edge features and you obviously prefer the latest and greatest. It doesn't mean that either of us is wrong, it simply means that we have different priorities and risk appetite.

Back in 2005, there was not as much pressure to drive the power up (from the competition) and the fuel consumption down (from EPA and other international regulators), so MB could afford making a very reliable but probably not as powerful and economical engine. Right now, they're being pressured from both sides, so some compromises are bound to happen. While I'm overall optimistic on how it's going to turn out, I don't like spending $120K of my play money on something that may or may not turn out great; granted, I don't really crave for any more power in my cars.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Germancar1
Think about it, do you really think a 100K luxury car's A/C is going to cut off at every stop. It will operate the same way every other car's whose A/C is electric does. It won't cur off at every stop. That would be absurd. Of course the entire a/c system is electrically operated, compressor and all. A Toyota Prius' a/c doesn't cut off.

Why wouldn't people want to step up? More power and better efficiency is always a plus. The others won't know or care.
M
A Toyota Prius is a rolling giant battery pack - so making the compressor electric isn't an issue.

So OK, the compressor is electric - and it has to draw down off the standard car's battery to operate. How long can it do that? I imagine the car senses when the battery level isn't enough to keep the compressor going, and instead continues to run the engine when stopped. This may not be an issue for people who don't live in/near a city, but when you drive around a place like NYC, you are stopped for long periods of time at lights, etc. There is no way the standard car battery can keep that compressor running for long periods of time with the car stopped. Don't ge me wrong, I am sure MB has engineered this problem - my point is simply that there is alot of needless complexity in this setup just to gain some "green-ness" from shutting the engine down at a stop light.

Last edited by nyca; 05-11-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 PP
+1 I agree with you, many people in the US fail to realize that what's new from MB in the US has been on the market for at least a year or two in Europe. For instant, the current model US spec S550 was released in Europe as the S500 in early 2005. So most of the issues that you would expect to see from a brand new redesign were already ironed out, but definitely you can never be 100% there are always isolated issues. All in all I believe MB conducts extensive testing on their products. It's everyone's prerogative to wait and hold out if that's what they choose, but MB improves in quality and dependability continually. I think it's a win win, to get a smaller power plant that offers more power and efficiency while consuming less petro. Now that's plus! Just my .02 cent.

Everything introduced today has some hiccups here and there, but to suggest that Mercedes can't get a turbo V8 right, so much so that one should wait until the second model year is just slightly ridiculous at this point. If this were 2000 or even 2005 I'd say there might be cause for concern, but not now.

Mercedes has already done a lot of "testings" with DI in Europe on the same 3.5L V6 that we have here and turbo charging is nothing new to them at all.

The 5.5L V8 in the S550 was brand new and there weren't any serious problems.

So much ado about nothing.

M
Old 05-11-2010, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Toyota Prius is a rolling giant battery pack - so making the compressor electric isn't an issue.

So OK, the compressor is electric - and it has to draw down off the standard car's battery to operate. How long can it do that? I imagine the car senses when the battery level isn't enough to keep the compressor going, and instead continues to run the engine when stopped. This may not be an issue for people who don't live in/near a city, but when you drive around a place like NYC, you are stopped for long periods of time at lights, etc. There is no way the standard car battery can keep that compressor running for long periods of time with the car stopped. Don't ge me wrong, I am sure MB has engineered this problem - my point is simply that there is alot of needless complexity in this setup just to gain some "green-ness" from shutting the engine down at a stop light.

Guy you're lost. You're creating nonsense to worry over, can't help you with that.

If you think a Mercedes' a/c is going to shut off at a stop light or can't re-fire the engine if need be then so be it. Really, really a silly, matterless conversation and a non-issue.

M
Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by skrontz
To me, it's more ridiculous to make assumptions on quality and reliability of a product that isn't yet mass produced. No matter how great the engineering effort behind some new technology is (and that's actually something I get to deal with every day), there will always be problems. Being an early adopter is always the trade-off between the latest and greatest, and hitting a few issues here and there. I prefer greater reliability and usability over bleeding edge features and you obviously prefer the latest and greatest. It doesn't mean that either of us is wrong, it simply means that we have different priorities and risk appetite.

Back in 2005, there was not as much pressure to drive the power up (from the competition) and the fuel consumption down (from EPA and other international regulators), so MB could afford making a very reliable but probably not as powerful and economical engine. Right now, they're being pressured from both sides, so some compromises are bound to happen. While I'm overall optimistic on how it's going to turn out, I don't like spending $120K of my play money on something that may or may not turn out great; granted, I don't really crave for any more power in my cars.

Again, another one worrying over nothing.

What exactly is going to be the new technology here?

Turbocharging? Nope, Mercedes has been doing it for many years now.

Direct-Injection? Nope, they've also been doing that for years in Europe. If anything that is where they did their "testing".

If you can explain to me what exactly this new "bleeding edge" technology is I'd love to hear it? What about this new V8 isn't "mass produced" either by Mercedes or other companies already? Have you even read anything about this new V8?

Otherwise you're not talking about anything.

No technology is going to be 100 percent reliable, 100 percent of the time, but this worrying here by you and some of the posters here is just plain silly.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 05-11-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The issue is not whether it can or can't, the issue is whether I want it to for my $100K. And I don't, that's been my whole point all along. So it's good that this "feature" can be turned off.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Again, another one worrying over nothing.

What exactly is going to be the new technology here?

Turbocharging? Nope, Mercedes has been doing it for year.

Direct-Injection? Nope, they've also been doing that for year in Europe. If anything that is where they did their "testing".

If you can explain to me what exactly this new "bleeding edge" technology is I'd love to hear it?

Otherwise you're not talking about anything.

M
Actually, maybe you could tell us how MB is planning on solving the DI intake rail fouling issue, that is seriously impacting the Audi DI engines (in the US) now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 S550 Engine Spec Twin Turbo 4.7 516 ft-lb