S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

extended warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550
extended warranty

Dear All,

I have 2007 GL450, 2007 S550 and will run out of warranties early next year. I've contacted local dealership to obtain exntended warranties and I was shocked how much they offered me!!!

Is there anyway I can get reasonable price for extended warranties?

Thanks

beastys550,
Old 05-31-2010, 03:22 PM

2008 S550 AMG
Let me know too, I am in the very same situation!

BB
Old 05-31-2010, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
https://mbworld.org/forums/general-m...need-help.html
Old 05-31-2010, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
I have heard from a few people that AAA is the way to go....
Old 05-31-2010, 07:41 PM

2012 S600 Lunar Blue
I bought two extended warranties in the last two weeks. One was for a new 10 Denali, and the other was for a used 07 S600. I researched cost, quality etc. and best deal was from a GM dealer in MI. Name to call is Jeff Hunter from Greg Bell GM 514-265-7156. Saved me alot of money and offered more coverage using GM's Major Guard. I checked with local Mercedes dealer and they accept Major Guard. I understand they are better than most 3rd party warranties. Also, I had Major Guard with my older Denali and had no problems with claims. Please mention my name if you call. Joe Spagnuola. Jeff was professional and very helpful. Good luck.
Joe
Old 06-02-2010, 04:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 s550v4
extended warranty vs Certified Previously Owned (CPO)?

Mine is also up this month, but it has the MB CPO warranty to 100k miles....what is the difference between the extended warranty offers we are getting and the CPO one that came when I bought it? Anyone know?

(I definitely agree with everyone, the extended warranties are pricey, but there is a lot of "stuff" on these cars that can go wrong....cost / benefit is a tough call)
Old 06-02-2010, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by new550
Mine is also up this month, but it has the MB CPO warranty to 100k miles....what is the difference between the extended warranty offers we are getting and the CPO one that came when I bought it? Anyone know?

(I definitely agree with everyone, the extended warranties are pricey, but there is a lot of "stuff" on these cars that can go wrong....cost / benefit is a tough call)
Dealer extended warranties such as Starmark are worth the money if it will help you sleep well. 3rd party warranties are a rip-off. Do a search and read the horror stories of 3rd party warranties. People who say they are good either work for the company selling them or never had a claim.

Even with dealer warranties read the fine print. You will be shocked at what is NOT covered. For example, a power headrest is considered a trim piece and is not covered. Do your homework!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by RichardM98
Dealer extended warranties such as Starmark are worth the money if it will help you sleep well. 3rd party warranties are a rip-off. Do a search and read the horror stories of 3rd party warranties. People who say they are good either work for the company selling them or never had a claim.

Even with dealer warranties read the fine print. You will be shocked at what is NOT covered. For example, a power headrest is considered a trim piece and is not covered. Do your homework!
Not matter what you do, you are not going to cover everything on a vehicle forever. The point is to insure the expensive must have items.

I've never heard of someone saying they had a bad experience with AAA's autoguard (dead opposite actually), and NO, I do not work for the company...
Old 06-02-2010, 10:30 AM

08 S550 4matic
I have heard good things about AAA's autoguard also, local benz mechanic shop recommends them.

I do not work for AAA.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, when a couple of longtime members of this site come out and say they've had the AAA product for a few years and have had a couple of claims handled satisfactorily I'll modify my opinion. Until then it's just hearsay.

Of course, I respect your right to express your opinion although you seem a little reluctant to allow me to express mine.

Nothing against AAA - I've been a member for over 20 years.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:43 PM

2008 S550 AMG
OK, we've got the same car 2007 S550 here is what the dealer just emailed me.

Please call me with any questions regarding the packages below.

Thank you,

EXTENDED WARRANTY CONTRACT PACKAGES

* 3 years – 75,000 miles $3825.00

* 3 years – 100,000 miles $4565.00

* 4 years – 75,000 miles $3965.00

* 4 years – 100,000 miles $4945.00

*** $100.00 deductible

** Financing is available by credit card (excluding American Express) and/or check. 10% down payment.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is the reference I mentioned in the link I provided earlier but with more detail. In Chico but Chicago is pretty close.

Call "Lisa Lehrbaum" at Mercedes in Chico, California. MBUSA.com will have the phone #.

I have no connection but others report a significant savings over local dealer. Once purchased you can go to any dealer for warranty work.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
No love for the Chrysler warranties? They seem very popular on the W220/W215 forum.

Got one myself and fingers crossed haven't needed to use it yet.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Aftermarket warranties are a tricky business. Everyone swears that they have this great warranty that covers everything until they attempt to use it.

I can explain my thoughts about an aftermarket warranty from a shops point of view. They do not want to pay for anything, they will use every loophole that they can think of just to get out of honoring any claim. When they do pay they will generally pay the shop a labor rate of $45/hour, ask you to use inferior parts, tell the shop that they now have to warranty the part that they just installed for the next year and they usually have limits to the liability that they will cover on the car. They have deductibles that you think are small but they will find ways to charge multiple deductibles on different components of the car.

We do sell warranties that are good but they still make life hard sometimes. We have one particular warranty that pays the shop labor rate of $126/hour, they pay the sales tax, one deductible will cover the entire car bumper to bumper, they will cover tows and rental car as well in some instances. To get a warranty like this you are going to have to pay a premium. These warranties do not come cheap. I can't tell you how many people have walked away from the price because someone will sell them a warrantee that covers everything for a 1/3 of the price.

I recently had a car come in the shop with one of the cheap warranties, it had some climate control problems. We carefully read the warranty so we knew how to word what needed replaced to the warranty company. It took 4 days after we gave them the repair order information for them to get back to us with an approval. Now I have a car tied up in my shop for 4 days with the dashboard apart because I have to wait for some third party to give me an approval when this job can be done on the same day. After 4 days they came back to me and gave me the approval to just change one part that we had on the repair order and see if that fixes it first. WHAT???? I told them what the car needed and now they are telling me how to fix it? Changed the part, it didnt fix the problem, called them back and now they told me that they will pay for the other part but they won't pay labor twice for the job. Then, after reading some other sections of his contract the warranty company lists max payouts over the duration of the warranty for seperate components. On the engine and related engine components the warranty company will pay up to $1800.00 over the life of the warranty. on driveline components the warranty company will pay up to $1200 over the life of the warranty, etc. WHAT!?!?!?!:?

EVERY WARRANTY IS GOING TO HAVE TRICKS IN THE WORDING....THEY ALL DO SUCK!!!!

We found one that is much better than all the others but they are still a pain in the *** on some things. We have learned how to do with them and every few claims I learn something new for the future. These guys will try and deny paying. If you are willing to spend money on a good warranty than you have a chance of getting major components replaced, if you are looking for a bargain you are in trouble.

I agree with Richard that people who say they are good never made a claim, or at least never made a claim for anything that was major. Have a major problem and you will find out the hard way.

If you have any questions about them I would be happy to help you, anyone can give me a call and get a shops perspective. Ultimately it is the shop that has to deal with the warranty company, not the customer, we are probably your best source for how they work.

-Craig
Old 06-03-2010, 11:25 AM

2014 E350 4matic sedan
I brought a CPO 2007 S550 4matic AMG pkg. in April, it came with 1 extra year of extended warranty, and added another 2 more years of warranty plus primer tire and wheels coverage. I paid $3200. It was slightly more than AAA offers, but now I can sleep better at night. I owned a 2006 S500 before this, and my indie mechanic that I used for over 20 years told me I better off put the money that I am spending for the warranty and put it in a bank, save for any potential repairs that may happen. Because try to file for a claim with after market coverage is nothing short of nightmare. You don't know til you need it.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:48 PM

CL65 AMG , white S550 Sport w/ white Giovanna 22s, wild custom chopper
I've had excellent experience with Western General w/ my old S600 coupe years back, my CL55 and will be purchasing WG for my S550. The key to working with aftermarket warranties is having a good service advisor at the dealer that can work with the adjusters and also understanding your coverage.

It sounds like you've had some bad experience, while I was able to cover major repairs at 100% that exceed the initial cost of the warranty, generally within a year or two after purchasing the warranty.

-Serge

Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
Aftermarket warranties are a tricky business. Everyone swears that they have this great warranty that covers everything until they attempt to use it.

I can explain my thoughts about an aftermarket warranty from a shops point of view. They do not want to pay for anything, they will use every loophole that they can think of just to get out of honoring any claim. When they do pay they will generally pay the shop a labor rate of $45/hour, ask you to use inferior parts, tell the shop that they now have to warranty the part that they just installed for the next year and they usually have limits to the liability that they will cover on the car. They have deductibles that you think are small but they will find ways to charge multiple deductibles on different components of the car.

We do sell warranties that are good but they still make life hard sometimes. We have one particular warranty that pays the shop labor rate of $126/hour, they pay the sales tax, one deductible will cover the entire car bumper to bumper, they will cover tows and rental car as well in some instances. To get a warranty like this you are going to have to pay a premium. These warranties do not come cheap. I can't tell you how many people have walked away from the price because someone will sell them a warrantee that covers everything for a 1/3 of the price.

I recently had a car come in the shop with one of the cheap warranties, it had some climate control problems. We carefully read the warranty so we knew how to word what needed replaced to the warranty company. It took 4 days after we gave them the repair order information for them to get back to us with an approval. Now I have a car tied up in my shop for 4 days with the dashboard apart because I have to wait for some third party to give me an approval when this job can be done on the same day. After 4 days they came back to me and gave me the approval to just change one part that we had on the repair order and see if that fixes it first. WHAT???? I told them what the car needed and now they are telling me how to fix it? Changed the part, it didnt fix the problem, called them back and now they told me that they will pay for the other part but they won't pay labor twice for the job. Then, after reading some other sections of his contract the warranty company lists max payouts over the duration of the warranty for seperate components. On the engine and related engine components the warranty company will pay up to $1800.00 over the life of the warranty. on driveline components the warranty company will pay up to $1200 over the life of the warranty, etc. WHAT!?!?!?!:?

EVERY WARRANTY IS GOING TO HAVE TRICKS IN THE WORDING....THEY ALL DO SUCK!!!!

We found one that is much better than all the others but they are still a pain in the *** on some things. We have learned how to do with them and every few claims I learn something new for the future. These guys will try and deny paying. If you are willing to spend money on a good warranty than you have a chance of getting major components replaced, if you are looking for a bargain you are in trouble.

I agree with Richard that people who say they are good never made a claim, or at least never made a claim for anything that was major. Have a major problem and you will find out the hard way.

If you have any questions about them I would be happy to help you, anyone can give me a call and get a shops perspective. Ultimately it is the shop that has to deal with the warranty company, not the customer, we are probably your best source for how they work.

-Craig
Old 06-03-2010, 05:18 PM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Just purchased AUL Reserve warranty as it was recommended by MB of Anaheim finance manager. He says it's almost as good as MB extended warranty. It has 'disappearing' deductible so $0 out of pocket when I take it to this dealership and $100 else where. Will let you know my experience next week as our ML is going in for some repairs.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:04 PM

CL65 AMG , white S550 Sport w/ white Giovanna 22s, wild custom chopper
I recommend always negotiating to wave the deductible. That's a common bate by the dealer to have you always bring the car there - the warranty companies will generally agree to the same price of the warranty and wave the deductible.

Originally Posted by KA8
Just purchased AUL Reserve warranty as it was recommended by MB of Anaheim finance manager. He says it's almost as good as MB extended warranty. It has 'disappearing' deductible so $0 out of pocket when I take it to this dealership and $100 else where. Will let you know my experience next week as our ML is going in for some repairs.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:51 AM

GL 450
This is probably not MB warranty, because there is a deductible. What third party company is behind this and will the warranty be accepted at all MB dealerships? Also, will it pay for original MB equipment?

Originally Posted by brownbomber
OK, we've got the same car 2007 S550 here is what the dealer just emailed me.

Please call me with any questions regarding the packages below.

Thank you,

EXTENDED WARRANTY CONTRACT PACKAGES

* 3 years – 75,000 miles $3825.00

* 3 years – 100,000 miles $4565.00

* 4 years – 75,000 miles $3965.00

* 4 years – 100,000 miles $4945.00

*** $100.00 deductible

** Financing is available by credit card (excluding American Express) and/or check. 10% down payment.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:58 AM

GL 450
Did the additional 2 years cover up to 75,000 or 100,000 miles? This is very reasonable pricing . Could you tell me the dealership you bought the warranty from . I believe the warranty is honored nationwide, and therefore it can sell to anybody from any state. Thank you.

Originally Posted by NuMBS500er
I brought a CPO 2007 S550 4matic AMG pkg. in April, it came with 1 extra year of extended warranty, and added another 2 more years of warranty plus primer tire and wheels coverage. I paid $3200. It was slightly more than AAA offers, but now I can sleep better at night. I owned a 2006 S500 before this, and my indie mechanic that I used for over 20 years told me I better off put the money that I am spending for the warranty and put it in a bank, save for any potential repairs that may happen. Because try to file for a claim with after market coverage is nothing short of nightmare. You don't know til you need it.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:29 PM

2014 E350 4matic sedan
Originally Posted by jofam
Did the additional 2 years cover up to 75,000 or 100,000 miles? This is very reasonable pricing . Could you tell me the dealership you bought the warranty from . I believe the warranty is honored nationwide, and therefore it can sell to anybody from any state. Thank you.
I got this warranty when purchased the car, It covered up to 100k miles. It was costed more than that but I negotiated for a lower price since I brought 2 MB. One for me and one for my wife. I guess the dealer has some room to work with the price under those circumstance. I got it from MB of Westwood, it is in Massachusetts.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
We purchased our S600 warranty through Lisa from Courtesy Motors (MB Chico) last October. She had the best price that I could find and didn't charge the surcharge.

It was about $5400 for the additional 3 year / 50k miles, $0 deductible warranty through Mercedes. We have already used it several times at the dealer we go to and it has been great.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:36 PM

2007 MB S550 Sport & 2010 GL 450
What was your transaction experience with Lisa? did you see contract as to what was covered under the warranty and what was not? I have 07 S550 with 48k. Lisa gave me a quote for $5,495 3years 100K.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 01:59 PM

2012 S600 Lunar Blue
Originally Posted by ///MB
We purchased our S600 warranty through Lisa from Courtesy Motors (MB Chico) last October. She had the best price that I could find and didn't charge the surcharge.

It was about $5400 for the additional 3 year / 50k miles, $0 deductible warranty through Mercedes. We have already used it several times at the dealer we go to and it has been great.
I just got my copy of the extended warranty from Major Guard. Keep in mind that I bought a used S600 that was still in warranty. Mileage was 23,000 at purchase. I bought a five year 60,000 M zero deductible plan for $2,250. There were other plans for more mileage. The plan was much less expense than all others. But since there are questions about coverage I called Major Guard today about what they cover. They pay the dealer or service shop labor rate. The most expensive was over $192 per hour. Secondly, they pay list price on parts regardless if oem or not. They do not tell the dealer what kind of parts to use, only they will pay list period. If dealer charges more the customer must pay the difference. The coverage is the same as the original warranty. So I saved two thousand dollars on this plan, plus more when I bought my Denali.
Call this guy Jeff Hunter @517-265-7156 he works for Greg Bell GMC. Review coverage and cost. I believe he can save you alot of money. Of course, the choice is yours to make. Good luck. Joe
Old 07-04-2010, 04:47 AM

GL 450
I was just quoted $3400 for 2 years of MB extended warranty on a CPO S550 (extending the warranty, including the additional year provided by the CPO, to a total of 7 years/100,000 miles.

Is this 2-yr MB warranty always 100% refundable before it takes effect (ie before the CPO warranty ends) and refundable pro rata if you do not use it (for eg, half of it will be refunded to you if you sell your car before year 7 starts) ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: extended warranty