S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Unique cruise control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
Unique cruise control

Did you know that the cruise control on the S Class actually brakes the car if your speed goes over the set cruise amount?
In most cars if your speed is over the set cruise amount, the car will coast slowly to reach the cruise set speed when you take your foot off the gas. But in the S Class, you can feel the brake pedal automatically being applied if your speed is above the set amount when you take your foot off the gas pedal.
I don't know of any other cars that brake to bring you down to the cruise set speed if you're going faster.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by carsnob
Did you know that the cruise control on the S Class actually brakes the car if your speed goes over the set cruise amount?
In most cars if your speed is over the set cruise amount, the car will coast slowly to reach the cruise set speed when you take your foot off the gas. But in the S Class, you can feel the brake pedal automatically being applied if your speed is above the set amount when you take your foot off the gas pedal.
I don't know of any other cars that brake to bring you down to the cruise set speed if you're going faster.
I don't know about other car brands but all recent MBs do that. The car needs BAS hardware to be able to do it (but not all MBs with BAS have it, only the latest like the W211 already did, ironically only after facelift though once SBC brakes were replaced, AFAIK).

Honestly I would prefer the old-fashioned approach or a setting that allows one or the other approach according to the driver's preference. I guess it depends on the traffic and roads but in my case I'd prefer saving gas (diesel) instead of using brakes because on our roads the car would not be speeding a lot if it did not use brakes.