S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

sirius reception

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 S600 Lunar Blue
sirius reception

My 07 S600 is in service right now (first service by me) will let you know how I made out with Command/Telematic update. Coincidentally, the first two cars in for service this morning were Black 07 S600's. The other owner over heard me complaining about my sirius radio reception. He too is having problems. My problem is that I loss reception quickly going under small branches etc. My former LS and GM (both with XM) did not loss reception as easily. Also, sound system with sirius has a tinny sound. Sound system works great in other modes cd etc. so I know it isn't the HC system. Any comments?
Joe
Old 07-14-2010, 05:51 AM

E320
I'm constantly surprised how little it takes for my 07 S550 to lose signal when going under a tree. I've had portable (with the little black magnetic antenna) XM and Sirius units in other vehicles and never noticed this problem on them
Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 AM

2012 S600 Lunar Blue
Car is still in for service, leak in a/c. They did say the antenna was weak and had to be replaced. I will let this forum know if it made a difference. As I said in my earlier post beside the reception issue, sound quality is poor. I'm meeting with another forum member in a few days, he has an 07 S550, and will compare sound quality. Will update forum with info. Members on this forum have been very helpful.
Regards,
Joe

Last edited by Joe S; 07-14-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The difference between Sirius and XM satellite is the satellites.

Sirius's 3 satellite moving in a figure 8 pattern across the country. They have put up a a new satellite that is stationary to improve in house reception. XM has 3 satellite but they stay in a constant orbit hence the reason, you lose reception in the same place etc etc unlike Sirius which the slight obstruction of the view of the satellite can disrupt your signal even with the backup buffer......
Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 s550v4
Joe S - How did it go with the telematics update at the dealer? Which dealer are you using?

I have repeatedly tried at Keenan in Doylestown, PA with no luck on getting the telematics updated...would like to find a local dealer who understands what to do...my 07 s550 is still original 07 comand/telematics, although I did update the navigation maps to 8.2.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2010, 10:45 AM

2012 S600 Lunar Blue
As suggested here on this forum, I told them that the Nav/command system frozen up from time to time. When they asked me more specific questions I told them I couldn't remember exactly what happened other than the system stopped working, then starting working again and since I was driving when it happened I didn't want to take my eyes off the road to study the problem. You definitely want the update. Besides the birdseye view, there are many other new features. I cannot understand why any MB dealer would give any of their customers a hard time (especially considering the cost of these cars) when they only have to insert a few disks.
Dealer is MB of West Chester. I highly recommend the update. I'm going to have the Nav. map disk update soon.
By the way, I bought two dozen freshly made donuts when I bought the car in for service. Maybe that helped. I do this all the time for the other dealer in the past. Everyone seemed rather friendly when I picked up the car yesterday. I always do little acts of kindness to others, and most of the time it helps.
They replaced the sat. antenna, small improvement. Had XM in LS and also with new Denali...much better reception and sound quality IMHO.
PM me if you would like to discuss dealer in more detail.
Regards,
Joe

Last edited by Joe S; 07-16-2010 at 10:47 AM.