S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

sirius sound quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 S600 Lunar Blue
sirius sound quality

I know I asked this question before and didn't get any answers so I'm trying again before I take the car in for service. Sound quality on satellite radio isn't very good, sound is tinny. Had XM with LS, mark levinson system and sound quality was as good as CD. XM in current GM is better than MB satellite. Dealer replaced antenna and reception is better but not as good as other cars. Dealer told me they have problems with drop out reception, but will do a software upgrade tomorrow on the receiver.
MB sound system in CD mode is great so I know it is not the stereo system.
Joe
Old 08-09-2010, 03:38 PM

2007 MB S550 Sport & 2010 GL 450
Make sure you have the same sound configuration on Sirius as you have on CD. I have noticed the same issue on my car but then changed the configurations to the sound as Ihave when on my CD and that solved the problem.

Originally Posted by Joe S
I know I asked this question before and didn't get any answers so I'm trying again before I take the car in for service. Sound quality on satellite radio isn't very good, sound is tinny. Had XM with LS, mark levinson system and sound quality was as good as CD. XM in current GM is better than MB satellite. Dealer replaced antenna and reception is better but not as good as other cars. Dealer told me they have problems with drop out reception, but will do a software upgrade tomorrow on the receiver.
MB sound system in CD mode is great so I know it is not the stereo system.
Joe
Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 PM

2004 S55 ///AMG, 2007 E350
Well, the source is still radio and comes from an antenna with Sirius or AM/FM. It will never be as good as a CD or MP3 player. Having said that, try changing the audio options to get the best possible sound, but it will never be as good as a local source (CD, MP3).
Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 PM

2007 S550
It would take electronic miracles to get Sirius/XM to sounds as good as a CD. This is because they compress the audio like crazy. Like downloading a poor MP3. I only listen to it in cases where I have no reception on good channels. I can't tell any quality differences vs. other cars. Says a lot about how good the Levinson system is if it managed to somehow make the satellite radio sound good.

But it is true that the S-Classes have issues with reception. For example the C and E cars have much better reception levels.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 PM

2012 S600 Lunar Blue
Thanks everyone. I didn't know you had to adjust sound in each mode. However, it made no difference. Will let you know if software update made any difference.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 PM

2012 S600 Lunar Blue
Dealer was kind enough to check satellite system for me. They were going to update the software, however, they discovered they had all ready updated the system last month when they did the telematic update. So no improvement. They believe it sounds normal.
Thanks for everyone's input.