S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

How can I get rid of that Oder?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
How can I get rid of that Oder?

Hi,

I bought My car second hand and it was in storage and transshipment for a long time. Now it's got a chemically damp Oder that kind of suffocates at first when you get in. I tried sprays and evaporator perfumes and still can't loose it.

What's your suggestion?
I will be leaving for a week, so if you have a radical suggestion I'll give it a thought.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:37 PM

It's not radical, but this is what I would use:

http://www.febreze.com/pages/country_selector.aspx
Old 09-16-2010, 10:15 PM

S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
Originally Posted by epasc
It's not radical, but this is what I would use:

http://www.febreze.com/pages/country_selector.aspx
Thanks
I tried something similar but in the end the nice sent goes away and the annoying fumes scent kicks back inn......
Old 09-16-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
First open all the windows. Then park it near a camel rest stop. Wait 2 hours. That ought to neutralize the odour.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 AM

S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
Originally Posted by carsnob
First open all the windows. Then park it near a camel rest stop. Wait 2 hours. That ought to neutralize the odour.
I don't think that Prejudice and Mockery are welcome or even tolerated in this Forum.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
I had a sour smell when I first got my car also. It went away after I changed the cabin air filters. They were FILTHY!! I picked mine up on ebay for $45 shipped for a German made MB equivalent. Changing them takes 5 minutes, they are located under the passenger side dash...
Old 09-17-2010, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
Where is the smell coming from is it from the A/C system? I would change the cabin air filter like emilner said. It's a particle and charcoal filter which removes odor and dust from the vehicle. Also Mercedes sells a A/C disinfectant to run through the system if you would want to try that again. Have the car detailed so they can wetvac the interior to help remove some of the trapped stank.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by MB of Arabia
I don't think that Prejudice and Mockery are welcome or even tolerated in this Forum.
I highly agree. There is no Prejudice and Mockery tolerated here. We all love camels.
Carsnob, what is the matter with you. spank, spank
Old 09-17-2010, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
On the serious note,
if it smells like a rotten eggs, it might be a catalytic converter.

In that case, just drive the car for a while.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 PM

SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
Originally Posted by markopolo
I highly agree. There is no Prejudice and Mockery tolerated here. We all love camels.
Carsnob, what is the matter with you. spank, spank
I also don't like the comment!!! You could make a report to the moderator if you want!!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:05 PM

1990 300 se
Me to agree, There is no room for prejudice here, should be reported. A site like this should go beyond political beives I am Israeli in exile and Although saudia arabia never supported our existence to say the Leese I have no personal problem with any member who ever he is.

People- Lets make this world a better place for our children, we are all created equaly regardless of our color or belives

MB of Arabia, welcome to the forum and please forgive the ignorant remarks above.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
And I don't like when people turn an innocent joke (not the best one, but still a joke) into a big deal. It's like we don't have enough PC crap elsewhere.

There's nothing political about a camel. Get real, folks.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:06 PM

I agree, is not the best joke!!!! I consider your post as an apology so move on!!! I never smell odor on my mercedes so I really don't know how to help you!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 PM

1990 300 se
Do you have Home Depot in Saudia? If yes, here in the US home depot carries a commercial deodorant that is designed to remove odors from old carpeting or any saturated situation. It comes in 1 gallon and I can tell you that I have used it several times in renovation projects in places that had very offensive buildup of odors. It works great. The only set back is that the fragrance it gives is very strong and it will take you long time to loose it, But steel better.

I will Ck on Sunday the name of the material and post it here. If the source of the odor is bacterial it will work.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:58 PM

2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
Originally Posted by skrontz
And I don't like when people turn an innocent joke (not the best one, but still a joke) into a big deal. It's like we don't have enough PC crap elsewhere.

There's nothing political about a camel. Get real, folks.
Sorry, no disrespect intended...could have just as easily said to an American to park it by a horse farm in Kentucky to neutralize the odor or by a fish cannery on the coast. Not all that funny anyway, and certainly didn't mean to offend our friends overseas. I should have been more thoughtful and less stupid
Old 09-17-2010, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Sorry, no disrespect intended...could have just as easily said to an American to park it by a horse farm in Kentucky to neutralize the odor or by a fish cannery on the coast. Not all that funny anyway, and certainly didn't mean to offend our friends overseas. I should have been more thoughtful and less stupid
I would not worry too much. Today's America is nothing more than a bunch of PC cause-heads who get their panties in a bunch as soon as someone opens their mouth. If you cannot get over the stereotypes that your particular age/race/religion etc come with you need to get over it. I'm getting sick over all the f*cktards who sue the government because their kids have to sing the national anthem and say the word God. And then they need to sue because God is also on the US currency. We can't mention the fact that white people are racially discriminated against legally. Ever heard of the United White league, or Cloud magazine? Ever recently heard of a minority rejected from college admissions because the school had to increase their white enrollment. We have become a society of entitled dependents who expect their future to be paved on the back of others because they deserve it for some reason. They have no responsibility, hey McDonalds should pay me $3M to me because I was holding a hot cup of coffee in my lap. How DARE they serve HOT coffee!!! I'm waiting for the next congressional mandate that paves the way for rubberized curbs and mandatory helmets for all citizens and visitors to protect us. GET OVER IT PEOPLE, life is too short...
Old 09-18-2010, 12:09 AM

S550
Try using Meguiars Car Odor Eliminator. Works like a charm.
A 16oz bottle is only about 6-7 dollars. And the smell doesnt come back :p
Old 09-18-2010, 12:20 AM

1990 300 se
emilner- Our world is full of injustices, at times it can be very frustrating, but if we all keep calm and try to solve problems with our brain controlled mouths it will be easier for all our human fellows.

We can not fight windmills.

Meanwhile, I think we should all be nice to MB of ARABIA and by not adding more material here that is not relevant to his question. I am sure this can be a very interesting post.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 S550, 08 Escalade, 08 H2
Originally Posted by MB of Arabia
Hi,

I bought My car second hand and it was in storage and transshipment for a long time. Now it's got a chemically damp Oder that kind of suffocates at first when you get in. I tried sprays and evaporator perfumes and still can't loose it.

What's your suggestion?
I will be leaving for a week, so if you have a radical suggestion I'll give it a thought.
I do have the same Oder that smell bad when I turn on the A/C but in couple minutes it will go away. I will take my car to the dealer this month before the warranty expired.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:23 PM

2004 S55 ///AMG, 2007 E350
Very interesting to see a few people trying to answer the car odor question in the middle of all the political, racial and social commentary.

This is a car forum, let's stick to cars, there are thousands of political sites where you can vent off.

Much thanks.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Corsa9000
Very interesting to see a few people trying to answer the car odor question in the middle of all the political, racial and social commentary.

This is a car forum, let's stick to cars, there are thousands of political sites where you can vent off.

Much thanks.
Agree!!!
Old 09-19-2010, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by carlosfernandez
Agree!!!
Me too, especially since my politics seemingly differ from many of my fellow S-Class owners. Let's stick to what we have in common.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
I tried peeled oranges' skin in my old car and it worked (for tobacco odor) but if that is not enough wet wash all interior cloth parts + mats and use a leather pflege product from MB on your leather parts
Old 09-25-2010, 12:43 PM

S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
Holy crap all Hell broke lose here, are we like on Cross Fire or something?

carsnob, appology accepted and no hard feelings.... The only thing is that I hate it when some people think they have the right to be rude to others for no reason at all.. Any way water under the bridge mate ;-)
and a note for the Israeli guy... Thanks a lot cousin for standing up for me,

I just got back from the *** end of no where... And haven't had the chance to check my car yet...... I sprayed it with an air freshener and put some saturated tissues with Vanilla essence under the seats and left the bottle open with the remaining portion to evaporate..... It's been there for over a week in 120+ F temperature
I'm not that optimistic but if it doesn't work, I'll do some of the suggestions above. Thanks all, will keep you posted.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:57 PM

2007 S550 Designo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How can I get rid of that Oder?