S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

"Don't Forget Key Chime"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550
"Don't Forget Key Chime"

Hi,

I just bought an 07 S550 which has Keyless go.

When ever the driver door is open the car chimes, which is a constant on and off does not stop. It says "Don't Forget Key" while doing this. Even with the key far from the car it does it. It in my opinion is ridiculous.

Is this normal? Anyone else have 07 cars with keyless that do this, or is it a malfunction?

It's an early 07 car so it could be normal and just something they changed later? I'm getting ready to locate the chime and stop it.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
It was an early '07 annoyance. It can be fixed by updated the IC software through your dealer. Tell them the cluster was freezing or something on and off, they will update the software and the annoying sound will disappear. There are a few threads on the subject.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 PM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by emilner
It was an early '07 annoyance. It can be fixed by updated the IC software through your dealer. Tell them the cluster was freezing or something on and off, they will update the software and the annoying sound will disappear. There are a few threads on the subject.
Okay, that actually makes me feel better.

Is there reason why I need to say the speedo was freezing as opposed to just showing them the way it unnecessarily chimes?

Also, will this cost me as I am out of warranty or will they update for free?

If you come across those threads please post them.

Lastly, first time using the car in the dark and the interior lights are acting up. I open the door and they only stay on for 10 seconds, close and open again and they don't go on at all, could this be part of the software update ( I sure hope so)?

Thanks for your help!

John
Old 10-24-2010, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
The only reason you need to mention the glitch is to have it covered under warranty. You might want to still do it as the dealer refused to do it at first saying it was impossible. Once I showed the moron how to do it all was well.

I don't have time to search for the very easy to find threads, sorry...
Old 10-28-2010, 03:29 PM

2003 SL55 2007 S550
I also have a 2007 with the chime. I've gone to 2 dealers and a very good independent with no luck.

I searched this forum for "chime w221" and "chime s550". Didn't find anything with specific info on how to disable it. I used google with the "site:mbworld.org" option as well as the forum search capabilities.

If you can provide any specific info that a tech can use to stop this thing you would make many people with this problem happy.

The only reason you need to mention the glitch is to have it covered under warranty. You might want to still do it as the dealer refused to do it at first saying it was impossible. Once I showed the moron how to do it all was well.

I don't have time to search for the very easy to find threads, sorry...
Old 10-28-2010, 05:35 PM

E320
Is IC update same as Command update?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Originally Posted by JosanK
I also have a 2007 with the chime. I've gone to 2 dealers and a very good independent with no luck.

I searched this forum for "chime w221" and "chime s550". Didn't find anything with specific info on how to disable it. I used google with the "site:mbworld.org" option as well as the forum search capabilities.

If you can provide any specific info that a tech can use to stop this thing you would make many people with this problem happy.
Try using the search function on the forum:

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...rget+key+chime

IC update is different than command update.

Like I said in my first post, the morons who are techs at my MB have trouble understanding general concepts. Tell them there is a problem (not a design flaw) and they will search out a cure. Tell them that you would like to update something or improve it and they look at you crosseyed. For me I told them my cluster was freezing and they reloaded the software for it (the reload is the new version)
Old 10-29-2010, 03:17 PM

2003 SL55 2007 S550
Thanks for the clarification.

Do you have any version numbers or other targeted info I could provide to the tech?

Try using the search function on the forum:

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...rget+key+chime

IC update is different than command update.

Like I said in my first post, the morons who are techs at my MB have trouble understanding general concepts. Tell them there is a problem (not a design flaw) and they will search out a cure. Tell them that you would like to update something or improve it and they look at you crosseyed. For me I told them my cluster was freezing and they reloaded the software for it (the reload is the new version)
Old 10-29-2010, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Thanks for the clarification.

Do you have any version numbers or other targeted info I could provide to the tech?
No, sorry...
Old 10-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
To update IC software to current version: DAS – Information and Communication – IC Instrument Cluster (Central CAN Bus) – Control unit programming… - follow prompts to update software on the instrument cluster.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:25 PM

2003 SL55 2007 S550
Thanks for this info. Got the update this morning. The tech at first denied the existence of this update. After being unable to find a menu item to kill the chime he suddenly announced that he is updating the IC software (!)

IT WORKS. No more annoying chime.

The whole process took about an hour (update is 45 minutes).

Some other goodies in this update; supposedly the night vision works better and the TPMS display now draws a picture of the car.

I'll run a few tanks of gas and see if the MPG figure is more accurate (it's 7% high on the S550, it's perfect on my 03 SL55, maybe it's a software fix).

I have the Mid city backup camera and DVD playing override on this car. No problem. All components and updates are getting along.

Originally Posted by konigstiger
To update IC software to current version: DAS – Information and Communication – IC Instrument Cluster (Central CAN Bus) – Control unit programming… - follow prompts to update software on the instrument cluster.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:22 PM

2007 S550
Thanks for this info. Got the update this morning. The tech at first denied the existence of this update. After being unable to find a menu item to kill the chime he suddenly announced that he is updating the IC software (!)

IT WORKS. No more annoying chime.

The whole process took about an hour (update is 45 minutes).

Some other goodies in this update; supposedly the night vision works better and the TPMS display now draws a picture of the car.

I'll run a few tanks of gas and see if the MPG figure is more accurate (it's 7% high on the S550, it's perfect on my 03 SL55, maybe it's a software fix).

I have the Mid city backup camera and DVD playing override on this car. No problem. All components and updates are getting along.
Nice to hear. So this IC update, will I have to tell them specially the "IC Update," or is this really the only update?

While were on the topic of annoying noises:

My S550's IC produces this extremely annoying high (very high) frequency noise that I for some reason can hear. It is the type of noise that some people can't even hear (my wife can't), and I can hear it over anything even loud music because it is so high pitch. It is definitely coming from the IC because when you sit in the car with the engine off and after a minute or so the IC goes off, the noise stops. The problem is that it's ALWAYS ON when driving the car. It is making me crazy! I'm hoping so much that maybe it will be fixed by the IC update. Any one have this issue?

John
Old 11-04-2010, 02:11 AM

2003 SL55 2007 S550
I couldn't get a version number out of them. All I know is that it was the latest software for a 2007.

No idea what to tell you about the noise. Sounds like a monitor that I had years ago that had a defective transformer that caused a high pitched hum.

Originally Posted by laxexquis
Nice to hear. So this IC update, will I have to tell them specially the "IC Update," or is this really the only update?

While were on the topic of annoying noises:

My S550's IC produces this extremely annoying high (very high) frequency noise that I for some reason can hear. It is the type of noise that some people can't even hear (my wife can't), and I can hear it over anything even loud music because it is so high pitch. It is definitely coming from the IC because when you sit in the car with the engine off and after a minute or so the IC goes off, the noise stops. The problem is that it's ALWAYS ON when driving the car. It is making me crazy! I'm hoping so much that maybe it will be fixed by the IC update. Any one have this issue?

John