S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Check Engine light on and off once in a while

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550
Check Engine light on and off once in a while

Hi,

my 07 S550's check engine light goes on on once in a while, but then it goes off and doesn't come on in a while. I am worried that I have the timing chain issue, but the fact that it stays off for a while comforts me. I know I do have the gas tank issue where the pump clicks too early and I am wondering if that issue could cause the light to go on. I am still trying to figure out if it goes on when I fill the gas. For what it is worth, out of the two check engine lights that the car has, (Check Engine written out, and the outlined engine light), I have the outlined engine light which is a check engine light I assume, right?

Also while I have a post, there is something I noticed with my car today when my wife was pulling out of the garage, when you turn the wheel to the right the a light in the bottom of the drivers side headlight goes on, then when you turn the wheel opposite, vis versa happens. And I'm pretty sure when the wheel is straight, both lights are on. Anyone know what this is/whats it for?

Thanks
John
Old 12-03-2010, 08:35 PM

'10 S550 4Matic, '06 BMW M5
Originally Posted by laxexquis
Hi,

Also while I have a post, there is something I noticed with my car today when my wife was pulling out of the garage, when you turn the wheel to the right the a light in the bottom of the drivers side headlight goes on, then when you turn the wheel opposite, vis versa happens. And I'm pretty sure when the wheel is straight, both lights are on. Anyone know what this is/whats it for?

Thanks
John
Hi John,

I can answer the light q from the perspective of a 2010 driver. When in reverse, my led cornering lamp on the opposite side from the direction the wheels are turned lights brighter to help maneuver. At speeds below 19 mph going forward, my led cornering lamp lights up corresponding to the turn signal and the direction of the turn.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:21 PM

S550 4matic, ML350
This is correct... My 07 has these side illumination cornering lights that go on when the wheel is turned as well...

For the check engine light, I think it is likely a gas tank/cap/fill problem... But- go get it checked out asap in case its the beginning of a bigger prob...

Let us know...
Old 12-05-2010, 10:59 PM

2014 Mercedes S550 - 2016 Mercedes G63
I have had the same issue with the engine outline light turning on and off on my 07'.. Took it to the dealer, but the light had already turned off.. I needed the car back for a trip this past weekend, but am taking it back Monday morning to have them finish diagnosing a squeak coming from the front left wheel suspension area.. Will report on what they find on the engine light issue..