S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Potential big problem with mercedes benz repair / warranty / etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
What ever happened?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by justinwrock
What ever happened?
JUST got the car back today - they are still working out my bill but the seat is completely covered by mercedes.

I wrote a very detailed letter - and I am glad it worked out.

This was my letter in case anyone else has a problem.

Hi ,

Hope your Sunday was good - and that you were able to unwind from work. I was at the factory yesterday as well as Saturday - soon I will be able to take it easy somewhat, although the tasks never seem to finish because of the revolving cycle of fashion. Fun nevertheless!

I spoke with my parents and a couple of MB Drivers and long time customers of the Mercedes Brand. While I feel bad you are in the middle - this is the type of situation that will have to be referred to MBUSA.

In my 9 years with MB Manhattan (Since 2001) - I've never argued or disputed a single charge - and never left the dealership hanging with an invoice. I don't question any charge I ever had, and even on this invoice - I don't question any other charge there is, except for the disputed warranty claim on my seat track.

To be honest, it bothers me the dealership will not look at the logic behind it. When I say "dealership", I mean the higher ups that are granted authority to actually re-write invoices. I don't direct this email to you personally, as we discussed last week. I know you went to bat for me, and you made every effort possible to explain the situation to those higher up.

On 1/19/2011, you mentioned to me that the Seat track problem was verified, and that a call was placed to my Extended Warranty company to find out if these items were covered or not.

On 1/20/2011, you said a rep from the Warranty company would be coming out on Friday of that week to inspect the problem with the seat track.

On 1/21/2011, you said the inspector came out and that they would inform you whether the work would be covered under warranty.

On 1/26/2011, you called me and when I called back, you informed me the repair would not be covered under warranty and the cost would be $4000+. At that time, I did not authorize a repair and said I would have to let you know. You suggested I call the warranty company and argue. I did so, with no success because they are not contractually obligated to cover any SRS component. Mercedes took it upon themselves in management to change how they repair seat tracks and that effected my coverage. Still, I did not authorize any repair on my seat track till the issue was solved. I wrote you an email on this date asking you to relay my concern with management.

On 1/27/2011, you mentioned you were still waiting to hear from management.

On 1/28/2011, you left a voicemail saying the only assistance would be that Mercedes would offer me the repair for employee pricing, at $2500+.

On 1/31/2011, I wrote you an email saying I appreciated your help on this matter, but that I would rather take the car back from Mercedes and have it welded at my dad's auto repair company. I still had no idea the work was already completed on my car, without my authorization, and that of the warranty company.

On 1/31/2011, you replied that you'd keep trying with your manager.

On 2/2/2011, you let me know you were still attempting to work with my warranty company to authorize the repair. I still did not know the work was already completed.

On 2/4/2011, I wrote you an email stating my concern that the work was completed without my permission. When you speak to your manager or the highest up as possible - mention to him please that when I was told the repair was covered by warranty company- I approved of the work done. Only after the work was completed - I was told I was no longer covered and that I had that $2500 - $4000 bill. In all honesty, and fairness to me, I shouldn't pay a penny because I wouldn't have approved the service in the first place if I had known it was a $2500 repair...

On 2/4/2011, you said you understood and that you would keep trying which I appreciated.

On 2/5/2011, you were still waiting to hear back from management.

On 2/6/2011, I was informed that the bottom line was that Mercedes would go no lower than $2500, and that was the employee pricing and we left the conversation that I would go home and discuss with my parents my next step regarding this seat track problem.

Until you told me the warranty company would not authorize the repair to my seat track - I was without worry. Once I was told they refused to cover it, because Mercedes corporate decided to change the way they repair seat tracks, I was obviously upset because this had nothing to do with me. I asked that talks proceed between the dealership and the warranty company, and I have no doubt that talks went on. What I did not know was that the work was already done. In several conversations and emails, one dated, 1/26/11, I said I'd sooner take my car to my dad's auto repair client to fix the damaged seat track. At that time, I was not told the repair was already completed.

When I found out - after all talks were completed, the warranty company would not cover, and Mercedes would not go lower than $2500, I decided I would not repair my seat track at MB Manhattan. On 2/4/11 - I was notified the work had already been completed. I would never had authorized such a repair and asked you to go back to management with this information. MB Manhattan's higher ups are still insisting I pay for this repair, even though I was never given the choice to pass on the repair. I certainly would have exercised other options if given the opportunity. I was very surprised to hear the repair went ahead. I assume the repair went ahead when it was thought the Warranty Company would cover the cost, and when they sent the memo the parts were no longer covered due to the inclusion of the SRS system - it came at a surprise to everyone. Nevertheless, that is still between MB and Warranty Company.

With that said, I can only hope Mercedes Manhattan will understand that a repair was done on my car, whether it when it was understood they would be compensated under the Extended Warranty or not, but the work was already completed before I was informed of the reversal in the warranty company's decision to pay. That should not have anything to do with me, and everything to do between how the dealership / Mercedes repair certain parts and the warranty company's willingness to pay. The repair should not have been done until Mercedes had 100% confirmation in writing from the warranty company that it would be covered.

If they can't see this, I have no choice but to contact MBUSA in New Jersey and ask for their intervention.

Sincerely,

Bradley