S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Vibration when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550
Vibration when coming to a stop

My car (07 S550) @ about 40k started to develop a noticable vibration when coming to a stop. I've never felt anything like that on any car. The downshifts themselves are smooth.

I was confident it was my rotors or engine mounts, but I just had both done along with ATF change and its still doing it.

The car has been doing this for about 17k now. It hasn't increased or decreased in severity. Nothing weird about the shifting or power delivery.

I think its time to run by Fletcher and get this sorted ... but I thought I'd run it by the forum first in case they offer me a new transmission lol
Old 05-10-2011, 05:22 AM

2007 S550
So my particular issue is resolved.

In short the vibration is not from the transmission.

The actual fault was apparent as soon as my mechanic lifted the car after a test drive. The insides of both the front and rear tires were badly cupping. Further things were checked out just to be sure such as the bushings, ball joints and wheel bearings; none of which were off.

Basically this is my fault as I didn't get an alignment after I bent (and repaired) my front right rim.

I went to a reputable alignment shop and indeed my alignment was pretty far off. Technically the front right suspension is a tad bent but not beyond the acceptable specs.

In addition to the alignment I also swapped all four tires side to side and balanced them.

Post all this (cost = $160) the tire noise has gone down about 1/3 and the vibration is pretty much gone.

Also I'll take this time to advise against buying the Falken FK452. While at first they seem better than the stock Continentals they quickly because noisy (even before my rim incident). They are indeed the worst tires I've ever had on any car.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 AM

Depends on the day...
Originally Posted by eugene22n
Also I'll take this time to advise against buying the Falken FK452. While at first they seem better than the stock Continentals they quickly because noisy (even before my rim incident). They are indeed the worst tires I've ever had on any car.
It's always good when the fix is an enexpenisive one. I've never used Falken tires, but some of my race buddy's do and they haven't had any issues. But that being said, these are track tires and only last for an event or two anyway. Glad you got the problem fixed!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:08 AM

2007 S550
Yep I'm glad it wasn't anything serious.

I' won't be neglecting alignments and side rotations anymore.