S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

power steering question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
s550
power steering question

09 s550 4matic
Right after I start the car and turn the wheel it kinda "chatters". Now it is doingit a little more. MB checked it out and nothing. Of coarse was told could not recreate the symptom.
Anyone else have/had this

Thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 MB S550 Sport & 2010 GL 450
Originally Posted by lungs414
09 s550 4matic
Right after I start the car and turn the wheel it kinda "chatters". Now it is doingit a little more. MB checked it out and nothing. Of coarse was told could not recreate the symptom.
Anyone else have/had this

Thanks
my 07 does the same thing on a none 4 matic.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S550V4 2001 S430 (Sold) 1976 450 SL
You are not alone.

Here's my post of 11.08.10--"I have a 2007 Designo 4Matic, with 59500 miles. In service just less than four years. No warranty.

After starting and putting in gear, if needing to turn left or right substantially or to where the steering wheel will no longer turn vs. simply going forward, there is a "chattering" in the front wheels as the steering wheel gets close to the end of its travel.

That is, the wheels/tires literally skip/hop/chatter. The skipping can be seen in the tire/wheel and felt in the steering wheel. This is on blacktop and cement. Haven't tried on dirt, grass or other surface.

This happens inconsistently. It happens as the steering wheel is getting to the end of its range of motion. Turn the wheel the full opposite and it again happens near the end of its travel. There is no skip/hop in the middle of the turn, just toward the end of its limit.It happens whether in park, neutral or gear. I cannot sense it happenning when vehicle is actually in motion or at speed. Plus, move the car but a few feet and turn the steering wheel from stop to stop and it often won't do it.

There is no "play" or sloppieness in the steering and the road feel is solid. Factory original 18" Continental "Conti" tires on stock wheels. Not new, but not near wear bars.

Ex. MB dlr. head mech and now an indie has never seen and is lost for an answer. Haven't contacted stealership yet. Stealership actually says they have never seen this; at a loss for cause/fix."

I got a reply or two, but it died off w/ no answers/suggestions from readers.

It's still an issue with me. Please share, if a reader has any insight. It appears there's a bunch of us experiencing this.

Anyone ever experience this or know what it could be? If experienced it, what fixed it? It's kinda scary; all help appreciated.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
s550
Power steering chattering

My car really only does it after initial startup. When it first started happening it was once in a while now it definitely happens a lot more. It almost feels like I have to give the power steering pump time to work before turning the wheel. Really strange because I have had 2 clk's and 2 E-class cars before this and never experienced this. My car is going in for "A" service next week and will get it checked out. I will post any results.