S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

S550 repair and airmatic issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry S550 repair and airmatic issue

Hey guys
Anyone has some idea of the repair bill? I'm thinking whether to buy an independent extended warrenty or not, cost a lot though, about 4000. 07 S550, 21k miles. I will keep it at least for another 3 years, no major problem now. Can anyone give me some extimate of how much money I might have to put on this vehichle for another 3 years? And for the airmatic thing, the noise, someone told me it is normal, but I still don't think so. It sounds like a bad quantity refrigerator working when the vehichle is lowering or rising. When start the car in the morning (not cold wether) the noise lasts for about 30 second and then goes away, everyday. Is is really normal? Dealer said it was normal, but I don't think they checked it properly, because they didn't test drive it at all,, what they heard might just be the noise that made by the "air coming out of the pump".
Any ideas? Very appreciate...
Old 06-23-2011, 01:08 AM

2007 S550 Sport
Airmatic is a nightmare to fix. I just had the engine and transmission mounts replaced and that bill was just a touch over 2500. That extended warranty will pay for itself. My father had airmatic issues on his older S500 and that ran into the thousands.

Lots of noises from the airmatic under normal conditions and if I listen to mine closely, it does sounds like a refrigerator compressor, but only in my garage with the garage door closed and windows down. can barely hear it over the engine, but I can make it out. Can't hear it at all outside. Lots of "pssssht" sounds and air sounds when you press the key fob, start the car, shut it off, etc.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 AM

'10 S550 4Matic, '06 BMW M5
My wife says my current 2010 S550 farts a lot.

I had a major airmatic issue on my 2004 S500. Basically, after sitting in the garage for about 4-5 days, it would lose all pressure in the front so that it would basically be sitting against the lowest stops. It looked like it was sitting on the floor, it was so low. Wheel arches totally covered up the tires. Upon startup, would give message: "Warning, Airmatic Malfunction" or something to that effect, like "Vehicle is too low." It would pump itself back up after about 2 minutes though, and be at the correct ride height.
Took it to the dealer twice for this problem. The first time, they obviously failed. The second time, it was right. But, between the two fixes, it would have cost over $6,000 if I didn't have the CPO warranty covering the issue (dealer showed me the CPO Warranty Claim paperwork). Yikes. This is why I will NEVER drive or operate an S-Class outside of warranty, on my own dime. Too risky IMHO.