S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

20's or 22's??? - Drop or No Drop??? HELLLLLP!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
How much difference is the ride on the 22's compared to the 20's?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toyota sienna, S550, Subaru Outback
ramos, all,

I dropped my car with ghostlinks...if you get 20's, you need a drop...after getting it done today, it come to realize that in stock height...it does NOT look good.

The good thing is that my ride quality has not been sacrificed at all! It rides like stock! My wife can drive it. IT does not scrap!

So I put another vote to 20's with a drop. I would have done 22's but wife's driving, otherwise I would do 22's as well (don't want her stranded on the road).

I'll post up photos when it's nice out.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
s550 4matic Key To The Cure Edition, Can-Am Spyder RSS
Glad to hear you got it working. Can't wait to see the difference... Try to take the same angles of your last pics. I still can't decide on wheels, so hopefully seeing your shots will seal the deal for me.

Last edited by ramos226; 08-07-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:25 AM

Hey guys,

Still no good pics due to heavy rain in the city.

But anyhow I managed to take this pic on our date night with the wife and of course after I dropped the front more and eliminated the gap that everyone noticed and suggested so thanks much!

When the weather is better, i'll take more photos..

sorry for the bad shot. Btw, the ride is the same! No harshess at all!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Wow.. VERY nice jade.. Well.... After all the hoopla, & thanks to all the feedback on this thread, (Thank you all), I've FINALLY come to a decision.. I've sealed the deal on a set of 21" Brabus Monoblock E's.. (see attachment)

I figured, 20's a little too small, 22's a little too big, so badabing... 21's it is.. 9x21 (255/35/21) Front, & 10.5x21 (285/30/21) Rear, So I'll have a little over 3" of sidewall. We'll see how it looks, but I'll most likely lower it. I just have to decide ELU or Links.

Wheel Repair Shop, HERE I COME!!!!
Attached Thumbnails 20's or 22's???   -   Drop or No Drop???   HELLLLLP!!!-brabus_monoblock1.jpg  
Old 08-15-2011, 11:35 AM

good choice...i heard 21's are a odd size so that it's difficult to get tires and pricier.

If you don't mind sharing what it will cost to do some setup like this?

thanks.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Tire prices fall right in-between 20's & 22's. The real issue is supply & demand. People automatically think 22's, if 20's are too small for them. When's the last time you heard "Sup Playa, I Jus copt some new shoes for my ride.. yup, yup, Double 1's... ..." Yeah.... No ring to it.. Not much of a selection in the size, even though I think it's a perfect size for the w221 body. In my humble opinion, I think 22's are like CoCo in a thong... Just a tad too much, & way too dangerous if you hit dat hole...
Old 08-17-2011, 01:34 PM

Jade, You've probably already seen these, but I found some shots of your wheels in 22's, wrapped in rubberbands, & dropped. I'm posting since this thread might help people decide on size.
Attached Thumbnails 20's or 22's???   -   Drop or No Drop???   HELLLLLP!!!-5615743163_1bf6506fbc_o.jpg   20's or 22's???   -   Drop or No Drop???   HELLLLLP!!!-5616324086_df810228eb_o.jpg   20's or 22's???   -   Drop or No Drop???   HELLLLLP!!!-5615743013_043512fcab_o.jpg  

Last edited by ramos226; 08-17-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:09 AM

2008 Black CLS 550
Hey are those Roderick RW2 wheels?
Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
22" even look small on our cars, stock 19's? forget it.
um, what.

A 22" wheel does not look SMALL on a 221...not even close.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by ODoyleRulz
Hey are those Roderick RW2 wheels?
Nope.. The pics I posted are the 22" EUROSPORT EURO 26. The Roderick RW2's are similar but if you look closely, you'll notice a lot of differences.. Roderick's are a bit more detailed in my opinion.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Oliverk
um, what.

A 22" wheel does not look SMALL on a 221...not even close.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:43 AM

Thanks ramos..yes I saw them before this post

of course I googled "s550 euro 26" and got that.

Yes they look good but I'm happy with my 20's.

I have been getting alot of compliments after the drop from random people. I'd rather have more tire underneath my wheel for these NY streets.
I'm happy with my 20's for what it is..

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by jadeethan
Thanks ramos..yes I saw them before this post

of course I googled "s550 euro 26" and got that.

Yes they look good but I'm happy with my 20's.

I have been getting alot of compliments after the drop from random people. I'd rather have more tire underneath my wheel for these NY streets.
I'm happy with my 20's for what it is..

Thanks.
Yeah... It's crazy how such a small adjustment to ride height, really does make a huge difference in overall appearance.

So many Pro's/Con's to ELU vs. Links tho.. I'd really like the convenience of making adjustments on the fly, vs. laying on the ground each time. Like another poster mentioned. It'll never be a "set it & forget it".. Price for ELU is reDONKulous! Not to mention, I don't like the idea of wiring anything into my cars brains... I might be calling you for Link help soon
Old 08-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Various
22s look great on the W221....Vossen VVS-CV1 - Matte Silver - F: 22x9 / R: 22x10.5 Click the pic for the full gallery

Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 PM

AAR Links arrived today , but mother nature will not be allowing me to install them . In case anyone's interested in seeing the difference in link quality of the Adjustable Air Ride vs. Ghost Motorsports links, here you go.. I've never seen/felt the GL links in person, but I can tell you the AR links shown look/feel A++. Seems like GL just plagiarized the HECK outta AAR's hard work. GL emailed me install instructions, & all the images depicted on it, are of the AAR links.. Now that's just messed up...

Anyway... Here ya go...

Ghost Motorsports Links

Adjustable Air Ride Links

Last edited by ramos226; 08-25-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
Put a lot of grease on the links where the threads are. Because it will get rusty and it'll be hard to make adjustment later on. I found that the hard way when I made some adjusting not too long ago.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by phatisfy
Put a lot of grease on the links where the threads are. Because it will get rusty and it'll be hard to make adjustment later on. I found that the hard way when I made some adjusting not too long ago.
VERY good idea phat.. Tx for the tip. Back to the damn auto parts store I go.... I picked up this tool while I was there about an hour ago... Looks like it might make the job a little easier. Being that the AAR links require that one side of the link be removed from the ball joint to make adjustments, (And I'd most likely be making adjustments all the damn time), I wanted to get a tool that could possibly do it with ease. $4.99 at Advance Auto Parts..

Looks like it has MB Link Removal, written all over it. We'll see if it helps at all...

Last edited by ramos226; 08-25-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
I forgot to mention. Spray some wd40 on the ends of the stock links. It will make it easier to pop off. And put a little grease on the new links when installing it. It'll be easier to pop on also. GL with the install!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 PM

s550
Originally Posted by ramos226
VERY good idea phat.. Tx for the tip. Back to the damn auto parts store I go.... I picked up this tool while I was there about an hour ago... Looks like it might make the job a little easier. Being that the AAR links require that one side of the link be removed from the ball joint to make adjustments, (And I'd most likely be making adjustments all the damn time), I wanted to get a tool that could possibly do it with ease. $4.99 at Advance Auto Parts..

Looks like it has MB Link Removal, written all over it. We'll see if it helps at all...
Hey...can't wait to see the final product!! oh and a needle nose pliers and fingers would have been sufficient. The second time you do the adjustments, you just need fingers, pop off, twist turn, pop on, once you get the hang of it.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:50 PM

This job kicked my ***... Fronts went on with no prob, Back keep effin with me... Thought I had it perfect, Drove around the block, Hit raise/lower button a few times, Looked perfect after a few tweaks... Went driving on a small highway, & every bounce had rub. When I got off the highway & looked, the damn thing was damn near slammed in the rear. It had lowered about 1/2" more than it was when i left the driveway. I came back, knocked the tabs off with the dremel, adjusted the rear link a single turn, but it still looks a little too low.. I'm now waiting for the exhaust to cool off to give that rear link another turn.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:53 PM

s550
This job kicked my ***... Fronts went on with no prob, Back keep effin with me... Thought I had it perfect, Drove around the block, Hit raise/lower button a few times, Looked perfect after a few tweaks... Went driving on a small highway, & every bounce had rub. When I got off the highway & looked, the damn thing was damn near slammed in the rear. It had lowered about 1/2" more than it was when i left the driveway. I came back, knocked the tabs off with the dremel, adjusted the rear link a single turn, but it still looks a little too low.. I'm now waiting for the exhaust to cool off to give that rear link another turn.
Same thing happened to me. I pullled out of the drive way, it was way too low and cut the side of the tires, the got rid of the tab. readjusted tow or three times to get it right. Should have cut the tab in the first place. You may want to roll the rears...I did just to be sure. Pics bro!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:33 PM

Thanks to EVERYbody who gave me pointers.. First of all; That tool I posted kicked a$$ on removing the OEM links. WELL worth the $5.

The AAR links are incredible. VERY easy to pop off with your fingers, to adjust, but still feels very secure to the ball joint when mounted. I HIGHLY recommend them.. (Props to silkz for recommending AAR links..)

Took everyone’s individual advice. Rear was STILL a Sunavabish… I used ramps to drive up onto, vs. jack for the rear, (thanx Jade; Really helped to get my big a$$ up under there), Used that tool to pop links off without even removing the rear sensor mount, Jacked the fronts just high enough to get to the links, (tires never left the ground) took minutes for those. Had to adjust countless times to get it where I wanted. With each adjustment, I drove around the block. After I thought I had it all set, I drove on a small highway & heard that scary *** rubbing noise when I hit any bounce. (damn near pooped my pants) I pulled of to the shoulder & the rear had dropped another ˝ inch. Hit the raise button, Came back home, Dremel’d those damn tabs off & made more adjustments. (Thank god no damage to tires at all…) After all is said & done.. I Effin LOVE IT!!. Here’s some Before & after pics.

Before Drop

After Drop

Old 08-27-2011, 12:06 AM

s550
Thanks to EVERYbody who gave me pointers.. First of all; That tool I posted kicked a$$ on removing the OEM links. WELL worth the $5.

The AAR links are incredible. VERY easy to pop off with your fingers, to adjust, but still feels very secure to the ball joint when mounted. I HIGHLY recommend them.. (Props to silkz for recommending AAR links..)

Took everyone’s individual advice. Rear was STILL a Sunavabish… I used ramps to drive up onto, vs. jack for the rear, (thanx Jade; Really helped to get my big a$$ up under there), Used that tool to pop links off without even removing the rear sensor mount, Jacked the fronts just high enough to get to the links, (tires never left the ground) took minutes for those. Had to adjust countless times to get it where I wanted. With each adjustment, I drove around the block. After I thought I had it all set, I drove on a small highway & heard that scary *** rubbing noise when I hit any bounce. (damn near pooped my pants) I pulled of to the shoulder & the rear had dropped another ˝ inch. Hit the raise button, Came back home, Dremel’d those damn tabs off & made more adjustments. (Thank god no damage to tires at all…) After all is said & done.. I Effin LOVE IT!!. Here’s some Before & after pics.

Before Drop

After Drop

Siiiiiiiiiicccccck!!! man it looks good. Wheels, drop, car everything sick. loving it bro....you did good. Are those 20s, with the drop they look really good. Everything is on point. Worth the wait!! looking at your car without the spoilers....I think Ima take off the rear spoiler now, just to get the sleek sexy look again...damit, thanks alot.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by phatisfy
phat, The Adjustable Air Ride links are stainless steel, so they shouldn't rust. Not sure what the Ghostlinks are made of..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 20's or 22's??? - Drop or No Drop??? HELLLLLP!!!