S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Muffled knocking noises when driving slowly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Muffled knocking noises when driving slowly

Hi all,

I am living in France and i own a 2006 S500 w/55K miles, which is equivalent to te S550 US car.

When i drive slowly on uneven road surfaces (< 20mph) i get a continuous muffled knocking noise coming from the front axle.

i have already changed on the front axle:
- torsion bar
- spring control arm
- strut

I have also seen the bulletin just below (thank a lot konigstiger),

P-B-46.20/52 Muffled knocking noises when driving slowly on uneven road surfaces. When driving between 3 – 13 mph these noises may be caused by excessively high breakaway torque of the outer tie rod or the inner tie rod joints due to unfavorable tolerance or friction conditions. In isolated cases, a reduction in the preload of the mounting bolts of the steering gear can also occur as the cause. The mounting bolts of the steering gear, outer tie rods, and/or inner tie rods will be replaced and front axle toe will be adjusted.

But, after verifications, the knocking does not seem to come from this place.

Any ideas would be very appreciated ..
Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 PM

'07 S550 Sil/Gry with 2012 S65 Facelight
you might also want to check your bushings and mounts.... on an average - ive heard they go out at about 60k miles.... good luck with figuring out the problem...
Old 03-06-2022, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by didfra
Hi all,

I am living in France and i own a 2006 S500 w/55K miles, which is equivalent to te S550 US car.

When i drive slowly on uneven road surfaces (< 20mph) i get a continuous muffled knocking noise coming from the front axle.

i have already changed on the front axle:
- torsion bar
- spring control arm
- strut

I have also seen the bulletin just below (thank a lot konigstiger),

P-B-46.20/52 Muffled knocking noises when driving slowly on uneven road surfaces. When driving between 3 – 13 mph these noises may be caused by excessively high breakaway torque of the outer tie rod or the inner tie rod joints due to unfavorable tolerance or friction conditions. In isolated cases, a reduction in the preload of the mounting bolts of the steering gear can also occur as the cause. The mounting bolts of the steering gear, outer tie rods, and/or inner tie rods will be replaced and front axle toe will be adjusted.

But, after verifications, the knocking does not seem to come from this place.

Any ideas would be very appreciated ..
did you ever figure out what caused this knocking sound?