S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Key issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221 S550L, W212 E250CDI Wagon
Key issues

Did any of you experience any issues with your keys??

Got home around 9pm last night locked the car with keyless as I always do

Then wake up this morning, go grab the door handle nothing happens?? Press the key to open nothing happens?? Go inside grab my spare key, still same issue, pull out the metal key and try to open it like the good old days NONE of the keys work?? And ive tried that before and I know they work, after 10min pressing the open button on the key all of the sudden poof it opens

I go in try and start the car on the button nothing happens just says key not recognized with both keys, I remove the start button and start the car with turning the key, I drive my kids to daycare, when i come out then the startbutton works??

Now the problem is I cant lock or unlock the car with keyless, when I grab the handle the key just flashes in the LED, but I can start the car with pushing the button

I have to lock and unlock the car by pressing the key now but I have to be really close to the car, tried replacing the batteries but same ****???
Old 09-15-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
11 S550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by CTDK
Did any of you experience any issues with your keys??

Got home around 9pm last night locked the car with keyless as I always do

Then wake up this morning, go grab the door handle nothing happens?? Press the key to open nothing happens?? Go inside grab my spare key, still same issue, pull out the metal key and try to open it like the good old days NONE of the keys work?? And ive tried that before and I know they work, after 10min pressing the open button on the key all of the sudden poof it opens

I go in try and start the car on the button nothing happens just says key not recognized with both keys, I remove the start button and start the car with turning the key, I drive my kids to daycare, when i come out then the startbutton works??

Now the problem is I cant lock or unlock the car with keyless, when I grab the handle the key just flashes in the LED, but I can start the car with pushing the button

I have to lock and unlock the car by pressing the key now but I have to be really close to the car, tried replacing the batteries but same ****???
Same thing happened to me when I forgot the lights on overnight. I assume the battery was drained. I opened the door with the manual key and started the car with no problem. I guess the battery charged just fine and I never had any more problems.
Only thing affected was the window auto close. Whenever I tried to auto close the windows it would go all the way up and then go down a little bit. After I reset the window (I believe by pushing the button and keeping it pressed for a while) I was able to remedy the problem.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:33 PM

2007 MB S550 Sport & 2010 GL 450
How come ours cars don’t tell us when our batteries are low? I had the same issue BTW and it was the battery

Originally Posted by fbracer
Same thing happened to me when I forgot the lights on overnight. I assume the battery was drained. I opened the door with the manual key and started the car with no problem. I guess the battery charged just fine and I never had any more problems.
Only thing affected was the window auto close. Whenever I tried to auto close the windows it would go all the way up and then go down a little bit. After I reset the window (I believe by pushing the button and keeping it pressed for a while) I was able to remedy the problem.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:34 PM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
Originally Posted by emin.mak
How come ours cars don’t tell us when our batteries are low? I had the same issue BTW and it was the battery
Funny you mention it. I have had an icon that looks like the key fob with a warning that the "key battery is low replace at dealer" or something close to that. Happens with both keys now. Have had it for a month and I'm too lazy to stop by dealer. So I guess it does tell us. Problem is I wish I could get rid of warning because it's always there at start up.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:56 PM

2007 MB S550 Sport & 2010 GL 450
for the key batteries it does tell me as well. you can just hit the back button on your streaming wheel and it will go away. what i was referring to is that there is no warning when car battery is low. At least I did not see on my 07 S550

Originally Posted by jprescott
Funny you mention it. I have had an icon that looks like the key fob with a warning that the "key battery is low replace at dealer" or something close to that. Happens with both keys now. Have had it for a month and I'm too lazy to stop by dealer. So I guess it does tell us. Problem is I wish I could get rid of warning because it's always there at start up.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:17 PM

W221 S550L, W212 E250CDI Wagon
after a few hours the same day, the prob went away and everything has been working fine since then very strange what got into the car that day

regarding the batteries in the key, its very easy to change them..

the key uses 2x CR2025

take out the REAL key from the key, its designed to be used as a tool to pull out the batteries of the key also, exchange them and your good to go after battery exchange the warning exchange battery will dissapeer