S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Wheel Bolts - W221

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wheel Bolts - W221

Did Mercedes switch to convex wheel bolts on the W221's and Maybach as an anti-theft measure? I suspect they must have because I don't see any technical advantages of the change from hex to convex.

A lot of the dealers are still using 17mm hex sockets to remove these bolts and rounding the corners of the bolts. I've also been told that the lug wrench that comes with the cars does not fit the convex bolts. If you a MB tech or a car owner, I'd pick up the proper Facom socket (this socket came with the Maybach tool kits to each dealer). I keep 20-30pc in stock (see http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/p...oducts_id=1425 ) or you can buy them through your favorite online tool dealer.

I was prompted to post this because of an email I received this morning......

So finally after a week I put new brakes on the S550. That tool is really the only thing that will take off the lug studs properly. On my customers car, Prestige did some type of wheel work not that long ago and on one of the front wheels every lug stud was rounded off. I did have to hammer on the tool over every stud to get them off. The rest of them were slightly better. I did enquire my phone and fax to Prestige and Benzel Bush about this problem. They have no idea that there is a special tool to take off the studs. They never responded to my fax either. I even tried again to use the lug wrench from the car to get the studs off and it does not fit. So I wonder what the illustrious MB mechanics in NJ use to get the wheels off these fine cars. Manhattan Mercedes knew what was going on with his car, you sold them the proper tool. Please do try to get yourself to these dealerships and show them how it's done. I have a friend at MB headquarters he is going to check with their techs on what they do with this on road calls. Thanks again, SEAN

Steve D

Last edited by ultgar; 10-06-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: updated comments
The following users liked this post:
Parkl (12-12-2018)