S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

After 7 months of ownership ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:08 AM

Location: Long Island, NY / Mississauga, Ontario / Changhua, Taiwan
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
11 S550V4
Originally Posted by rominl
bottom line, luxury cars are all about the extra, not the "necessity". that's what make these cars special. otherwise might as well just drive an accord coz' it gets you from point a to b just fine
Old 11-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 S550 4Matic, '06 BMW M5
Sorry to hear about your experiences. My 2010 does not have the Driver Assist Package, for which I am thankful especially after having read your difficulties with these systems. I cannot say my car shares any of the woes yours does, however, I have had a spot of trouble.

About 3 months ago, the car started to idle roughly when stopped. Then, when accelerating from a standstill, it was very rough / not smooth. I tried many things including switching to a more "clean" / higher quality fuel - nothing worked. Finally, it threw a check engine light warning (whereas previously it had not done that) and the dealer diagnosed a bad ignition coil in Cylinder #7. It was replaced the same day it went in, and it has been problem free since then.

I'm really very happy and I do like the car very much! A good value for my money, I say. Especially when it doesn't intervene in my driving, as I prefer (I've had the Driver Assist hardware on other cars and was not very pleased).
Old 11-07-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by skrontz
Sure, people can drive. Should we get rid of power steering, automatic transmission, climate control, DVD player, and all of the other nice features that make the driving process more pleasant?

Lane Keeping Assist is a good feature (not as valuable to me as Blind Spot Assist, but still), and it works just fine on my car (knock on wood).

I couldn't agree more! Why would we buy S-Classes if we didn't want all of the bells and whistles? My current S550 has nearly every option available and if they made more I would probably buy it. Afterall, don't we really want to deserve those glaring stares we get from Prius owners?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Sure, people can drive. Should we get rid of power steering, automatic transmission, climate control, DVD player, and all of the other nice features that make the driving process more pleasant?

Lane Keeping Assist is a good feature (not as valuable to me as Blind Spot Assist, but still), and it works just fine on my car (knock on wood).

No we shouldn't get rid of those things, they're standard features that have been around for years and they do add to the experience.

LKA is not. Its for people who can't be bothered to actively drive their cars IMO. Its a lazy man feature. Blind spot is too, again IMO. People can't turn their head for a sec or use their mirrors anymore? People can't drive as it is, these features make it worse.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 11-07-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Its for people who can't be bothered to actively drive their cars IMO. Its a lazy man feature. Blind spot is too, again IMO. People can't turn their head for a sec or use their mirrors anymore? People can't drive as it is, these features make it worse.
You'll be whistling a different tune when,having been distracted for a few seconds by a bee,spilled coffee or your favorite song on the radio,you rear-end a van full of kids,killing several of them and you find that their parents are about to bankrupt you in court.Then you'll be riding a $200 bike rather than a $60K Mercedes.And who knows...you might even do some time in prison as well!

It must be nice to be a *perfect* driver.
The following users liked this post:
riv-stage 1 (03-31-2021)
Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by listerone
You'll be whistling a different tune when,having been distracted for a few seconds by a bee,spilled coffee or your favorite song on the radio,you rear-end a van full of kids,killing several of them and you find that their parents are about to bankrupt you in court.Then you'll be riding a $200 bike rather than a $60K Mercedes.And who knows...you might even do some time in prison as well!

It must be nice to be a *perfect* driver.

Ridiculous gaggle of excuses IMO. Do you have all these things going on at once? If your favorite song causes you to not be able to keep the car in the lane or check your blind spot then you're just the type of driver that typifies the problem on America's roads today. That is ridiculous.

I'm not a perfect driver, but I have no doubt I take it more seriously than you do. Because I drive a Mercedes I take just that much more effort to make sure I don't hit anything and I try to make sure no one hits me. Unless you're like 70+ there really isn't excuse to have to rely on these nanny systems IMO. Basic driving and the mentality behind it should trump most of that nonsense.

Now legal problems or a death in the family or something like that, and you have to get behind the wheel of a car sometimes can't be helped, I with you there. Something like that will cause you to zone out for sure, can't be helped, but the other mess (a bee?, hell I drive a convertible and keep it together better than that), is ridiculous...lol.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 11-08-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
If your favorite song causes you to not be able to keep the car in the lane or check your blind spot then you're just the type of driver that typifies the problem on America's roads today. That is ridiculous.
I'm not a perfect driver, but I have no doubt I take it more seriously than you do.
In the last 37 years I've driven about 500K miles and have been involved in two accidents.One was a very minor one in London that was caused by the fact that I had never driven on the left before and I got confused.I'll never drive on the left again ! The other one was a few years ago when I was rear-ended at a stop light by a distracted driver.Obviously not my fault.So apart from London,perhaps,how seriously do you think I take my driving?

Now legal problems or a death in the family or something like that, and you have to get behind the wheel of a car sometimes can't be helped, I with you there. Something like that will cause you to zone out for sure, can't be helped...
So you admit that there are,perhaps,*some* things that can distract a driver.Good.So instead of a bee or your favorite song imagine that you've just lost your job or your mother's in a coma.The kids in that van would be just as dead in those situations than they'd be in the "bee" situation.I worked for 20 years in a major hospital's ER (hint,it's in New Haven,CT) that's near the intersection of two major Interstates.In those 20 years I've seen more death than you can probably imagine.Deaths that were the result of heart attacks...strokes....cancer...gunshot wounds...and motor vehicle accidents.So we both agree that there are at least one or two things that can distract a driver to an important degree.And we both admit that we're imperfect drivers.As an imperfect driver who every day is surrounded by imperfect drivers I want lane assist,automatic braking and other aides.You clearly have no use for them.But be warned...if you rear-end my daughter,killing her,while being distracted by just having lost your job I promise you that when the dust has settled your Mercedes...your house..your retirement funds...and your stamp collection will be gone!

Last edited by listerone; 11-08-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:00 AM

I think it would be respectful to get back to the topic posted by the OP. I don't think the point of his thread was to have an argument raging about the quality of drivers or the necessity of certain features.
That's why there is a car out there for each one of us guys...
My S550 doesn't have the Driver Assistance Package, and I like that. I don't miss not having it, having also had it in previous cars. Then again, when I found my car, it had the rear seat package, which I thought was unnecessary. Turns out, however, that 100% of the time we're travelling as a family in the S-Class, my wife rides in back, and she enjoys the rear seat package - it's not for ME!!! But, for my next S-Class, I won't do without said package!
Back to the topic, sorry to hear about your troubles dude. I can't say I've had the same bad luck!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by IDriveAnM5
I think it would be respectful to get back to the topic posted by the OP. I don't think the point of his thread was to have an argument raging about the quality of drivers or the necessity of certain features.
A discussion about the necessity of Driver Assist isn't *entirely* off topic given that the OP is lamenting the fact that his isn't working properly.But it could be a bit of a tangent.I can understand his disappointment regarding his car's less than perfect record so far...particularly with a car that expensive.Hopefully *all* his concerns regarding his S will be quickly remedied by the dealer.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
You should get what you pay however, u pay S class but not getting the luxury of it.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
No we shouldn't get rid of those things, they're standard features that have been around for years and they do add to the experience.
At some point, these features were brand new as well; every feature starts this way. A safety guard such as Blind Spot Assist is infinitely more useful than a DVD player and more useful than climate control. Actually, these radar-based alert systems are already becoming a standard.

LKA is not. Its for people who can't be bothered to actively drive their cars IMO. Its a lazy man feature. Blind spot is too, again IMO. People can't turn their head for a sec or use their mirrors anymore? People can't drive as it is, these features make it worse.
LKA and BSA are designed to alert a driver who is making an obvious mistake; how exactly are they making driving worse? Turning your head and looking at the mirror is still there, but the situation on the road changes every fraction of a second, and everyone makes mistakes. Aircrafts are equipped with all kinds of proximity warning systems not because the pilots are that inexperienced, it's just basic safety. Using your argument, we should not need Power Steering either since it only makes the driver more relaxed at the wheel as opposed to holding on to it properly. While we're at it, why can't you lose the audio system and just whistle?

To give a concrete example, I was driving at night in a really heavy rain and quite a bit of traffic a few days ago. With visibility that poor, Distronic Plus and Blind Spot Assist were absolute saviors that kept me and my family safe. Could I do without them? Sure. Would I think twice before ordering these options again? Nope.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

At some point, these features were brand new as well; every feature starts this way. A safety guard such as Blind Spot Assist is infinitely more useful than a DVD player and more useful than climate control. Actually, these radar-based alert systems are already becoming a standard.

LKA and BSA are designed to alert a driver who is making an obvious mistake; how exactly are they making driving worse? Turning your head and looking at the mirror is still there, but the situation on the road changes every fraction of a second, and everyone makes mistakes. Aircrafts are equipped with all kinds of proximity warning systems not because the pilots are that inexperienced, it's just basic safety. Using your argument, we should not need Power Steering either since it only makes the driver more relaxed at the wheel as opposed to holding on to it properly. While we're at it, why can't you lose the audio system and just whistle?

To give a concrete example, I was driving at night in a really heavy rain and quite a bit of traffic a few days ago. With visibility that poor, Distronic Plus and Blind Spot Assist were absolute saviors that kept me and my family safe. Could I do without them? Sure. Would I think twice before ordering these options again? Nope.

Nah, can't go with that. There are some people who can't drive without power steering, something that has been on a car for years and years. My point is that drivers are becoming too dependent on these features and they're becoming worse drivers for it, when they aren't driving a car with all this corrective crap on it. What are you gonna do if you have to drive a regular car without all this junk on it? These things are NOT the same as power steering. Power steering is a basic thing that is every new car sold in America. LKA and BSA are not, nor are they required ~ to say imply that they should replace basic fundamental driving skill is ridiculous and this part of the the problem. Most people can't drive and all this being distracted is borderline BS. People simply don't take driving seriously + they don't know how either way and then car companies turn our bigger cars with more hp and electronic corrective aids so people can zone/tune out on how to drive, that is all I'm saying. When LKA and BSA become "needed" like power steering we have reached a crisis point. They road will be full of clueless, hapless, skill-less drivers. What happens when these system don't work properly or you have to drive a car that doesn't have these features? Clearly they aren't necessary like Power Steering is.

I'm glad you and your family are safe because of these systems, that means Mercedes-Benz is doing their job and living up to one of their core values ~ safety. I just disagree that these things are needed on the same level of power steering or brakes.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 11-10-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by listerone
In the last 37 years I've driven about 500K miles and have been involved in two accidents.One was a very minor one in London that was caused by the fact that I had never driven on the left before and I got confused.I'll never drive on the left again ! The other one was a few years ago when I was rear-ended at a stop light by a distracted driver.Obviously not my fault.So apart from London,perhaps,how seriously do you think I take my driving?
That is a nearly faultless driving record. I didn't think you were a "bad" driver per say, just one that is caught up in these nanny features thinking they fundamental to driving, which they aren't IMO. Good basic skills are, which you have if you have had only 1 real accident in 37 years! That is as long as I've been alive.

So you admit that there are,perhaps,*some* things that can distract a driver.Good.So instead of a bee or your favorite song imagine that you've just lost your job or your mother's in a coma.The kids in that van would be just as dead in those situations than they'd be in the "bee" situation.I worked for 20 years in a major hospital's ER (hint,it's in New Haven,CT) that's near the intersection of two major Interstates.In those 20 years I've seen more death than you can probably imagine.Deaths that were the result of heart attacks...strokes....cancer...gunshot wounds...and motor vehicle accidents.So we both agree that there are at least one or two things that can distract a driver to an important degree.And we both admit that we're imperfect drivers.As an imperfect driver who every day is surrounded by imperfect drivers I want lane assist,automatic braking and other aides.You clearly have no use for them.But be warned...if you rear-end my daughter,killing her,while being distracted by just having lost your job I promise you that when the dust has settled your Mercedes...your house..your retirement funds...and your stamp collection will be gone![/QUOTE]

There are things that can distract, but a person with all that going on, again shouldn't be driving, at least on that day. Thats too much. Some things can't be helped though, yes I know that.

Nah I don't need these systems, I always turn them off when I have to drive a car with them present.

We will have to agree to disagree here because these nanny systems aren't needed if the skill is there. Its just extra electronics to fail if you keep a S550 for say 10 years.

M
Old 11-13-2011, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by IDriveAnM5
My S550 doesn't have the Driver Assistance Package, and I like that. I don't miss not having it, having also had it in previous cars. Then again, when I found my car, it had the rear seat package, which I thought was unnecessary. Turns out, however, that 100% of the time we're travelling as a family in the S-Class, my wife rides in back, and she enjoys the rear seat package - it's not for ME!!! But, for my next S-Class, I won't do without said package!
Back to the topic, sorry to hear about your troubles dude. I can't say I've had the same bad luck!!!
Wow and I thought split-view was bad so that your wife can ignore you for the duration of the drive while watching TV or a movie or something but she actually rides in the back seat? I can understand you not wanting this "feature" in your next car Did she also get you a chauffeur uniform for long trips?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Wow and I thought split-view was bad so that your wife can ignore you for the duration of the drive while watching TV or a movie or something but she actually rides in the back seat? I can understand you not wanting this "feature" in your next car Did she also get you a chauffeur uniform for long trips?
You cracked me up this morning dude. I guess that one is easy to joke about unless you know the full story. She sits in the back because we have a 19 month old girl. LOL! Good one man! Hahaha!
Old 11-17-2011, 03:38 PM

2008 E350 2013 Tahoe 2007 Mustang GT Conv.
Originally Posted by paomien
After 7 months, and 8600 miles, of ownership, I'd have to say I am a bit disappointed in the little problems I've been having with my 11 S550V4 ... I would just like to share some of the problems I've had; perhaps some of you have the same issues, or can share how you would take care of it?

1- Distronic inoperative .. have had this happen 4 or 5 times over the past few months, sometimes it would just come back, and other times you would have to restart the vehicle.

2- lane keeping assist inactive ... This only started happening when the weather started getting cold here in NY. I don't receive any warnings or messages, however the icon for the lane keep assist doesn't light up. When you scroll to the "assistance" menu, you see it activated, but no matter how many times you turn it on or off, it remains off, until the weather warms up.

3- transmission jerk ... bad when engine is cold from 2nd to 3rd gear, worse when weather is cold ... only seems to go away when the car warms up. Strange ... my 09 doesn't have this problem?

4- poor fit of doors ... the front doors do not line up to the rear doors (no, I haven't been in a collision)

5- the rear speaker deck seems to rattle a bit now, along with the passenger side rear entertainment screen. Quite annoying.

6- keyless go doesn't always recognize when I walk up to the door and touch the handle. Most of the time I have to pull at the handle multiple times before the doors decide to unlock

does anybody else on here experience these same problems?

One thing, though, the B&O sound system is excellent! Perhaps not as good as the Nakamichi in the 91 LS400 I had, but overall it's worth the upgrade, IMHO
Have you addressed any of these concerns with the dealer?? You did not state whether you have or have not.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:46 PM

2011 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by paomien
After 7 months, and 8600 miles, of ownership, I'd have to say I am a bit disappointed in the little problems I've been having with my 11 S550V4 ... I would just like to share some of the problems I've had; perhaps some of you have the same issues, or can share how you would take care of it?

1- Distronic inoperative .. have had this happen 4 or 5 times over the past few months, sometimes it would just come back, and other times you would have to restart the vehicle.

2- lane keeping assist inactive ... This only started happening when the weather started getting cold here in NY. I don't receive any warnings or messages, however the icon for the lane keep assist doesn't light up. When you scroll to the "assistance" menu, you see it activated, but no matter how many times you turn it on or off, it remains off, until the weather warms up.

3- transmission jerk ... bad when engine is cold from 2nd to 3rd gear, worse when weather is cold ... only seems to go away when the car warms up. Strange ... my 09 doesn't have this problem?

4- poor fit of doors ... the front doors do not line up to the rear doors (no, I haven't been in a collision)

5- the rear speaker deck seems to rattle a bit now, along with the passenger side rear entertainment screen. Quite annoying.

6- keyless go doesn't always recognize when I walk up to the door and touch the handle. Most of the time I have to pull at the handle multiple times before the doors decide to unlock

does anybody else on here experience these same problems?

One thing, though, the B&O sound system is excellent! Perhaps not as good as the Nakamichi in the 91 LS400 I had, but overall it's worth the upgrade, IMHO
I have same issue with #3 & #5... I gotten used to the transmission but that rattling noise coming from rear speaker deck drives me insane! My guess is bass is making rear window shade rattle but I could be wrong.

I took it to the dealer about that and they just recommended me to listen with lower bass setting... really? I only have it set to +5 bass, I don't think that's too high. $6k sound system I can't even utilize it's full potential... what a joke!

I'm going back there to test other S550 sound system with B&O hopefully it won't make that rattling noise like mine... if not then I'm stuck with rattling B&O

Last edited by zen0s; 04-17-2014 at 10:05 PM.