S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

S550 Vs S600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17 RR Wraith 16 Bentley CGT v8 16 MB S550 (daily) 16 Silverado 13 suburban 07 corvette
S550 Vs S600

Im new here so I apologize if this question has been asked ad nauseum. But Im in the hunt for a 1 to 2 year old CPO S class mercedes. I normally buy new but seeing the huge depreciation these things take im going to let someone else take the fall for that. The vehicles im looking at both have full warranties and have less than 10k miles on them. I also am not a fan of the LED lights, I think they look kinda gaudy (I have my escalade when I want to look gaudy lol) But I was origionally looking at an s550 then I came across and S600. Not knowing it existed, it seems to be a much more powerful version of the s550, and I do love power. How ever Im looking for an ultra luxury, full of bells and whistles, nice road trip car here. When I want to go fast I have other options () but Its always nice to have lots of power, and fuel economy is not an issue to me, im used to single diget MPG. My worry is Im new to modern European cars, I stick mainly to american or japanese cars and am not sure what kind of maintenance is required, or the reliability of said cars. Even with warranties It still a PITA to drop off a car for service all the time.

To save some time lets get back to my main question before I ramble off anymore. My info comes from unverified sources on the web so I may be wrong on some info here. But from what I have gathered these are my pros and Cons. I would greatly appreciate anybody sharing any info I dont know, or any mis informed facts being corrected. Thanks!

Pros of the s550
AWD, Great for bad weather. MB 4matic system seems amazing at car control. How ever I own 3 other 4wd Vehicles (however they have nowhere near as advanced traction or Diff control system) so Its not a need, just a want, but if I do get a 550 Its a deal breaker not to have it.

Cheaper- to buy, insure, repair, taxes (etc) Usaa only wants 112 for this per month.

Smoother suspension

More reliable.

7 speed gearbox

Cons.

Less options standard,
less power.

Pros of the s600.

More power.
Tons of features.
Rarer.
Amazing start up sound (always loved the way a v-12 starts up for some reason, sounds so "elegant"

Cons
Expensive, insure, repair, etc Usaa Wants 200 a month for this car.
Maintenance nightmare
Rare=harder to find, have to travel to purchase one
only a 5 speed.
No AWD
not sure on a v-12 reliability.

Oddly enough they dont seem to be to far separated in price when CPO. Looking at a 2010 s550 with 5k on the clock and a 2009 S600 with 9k on the OD and its just a 3K difference. Which IMO is not alot when you get an extra 130 hp and everything standard.

So please advise me as I greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Last edited by rollin thunder; 12-27-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I assume that you won't want to hear this but if you can wait a while I'd say go with a slightly used S350 (diesel).You want power? Try 455 ft lbs of torque! And you can get 35mpg on the highway to boot and have a cruising range of 750 miles.Of course a diesel sounds a bit different than a V-12 but even its growl grows on ya!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:29 PM

17 RR Wraith 16 Bentley CGT v8 16 MB S550 (daily) 16 Silverado 13 suburban 07 corvette
Originally Posted by listerone
I assume that you won't want to hear this but if you can wait a while I'd say go with a slightly used S350 (diesel).You want power? Try 455 ft lbs of torque! And you can get 35mpg on the highway to boot and have a cruising range of 750 miles.Of course a diesel sounds a bit different than a V-12 but even its growl grows on ya!

Defiantly dont want that. Im quite happy with my 400 hp 800 ft lb torque Duramax V8 in my truck, as I say Im really not concerned with fuel economy.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 AM

BMW 7 series
s600
Old 12-28-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Welcome to MBWorld! Some observations from an S600 owner...

First, how well optioned is the S550? The S600 comes with every option as standard, so to some degree there are more things to go wrong but I have not experienced any problems except two engine issues I describe below. Also, to add to your list, the S600 interior is all leather and alcantara. The leather is higher quality as well and the car feels more plush. There is very little exposed plastic.

If you want performance, the S600 is in a different league to the S550 and yet the car is so well insulated you often don't realize how fast you are accelerating. You can't argue with 500+ hp and 612 pound/feet torque and the engine has vast reserves of power. The 5-speed is really not an issue as the V12 has so much torque you could probably get by on a 2-speed! :-) The S600 is definitely a "heavy" car, but there is so much power on tap that it feels quite nimble when you open the engine up and it quickly shrinks around you. I personally rarely if ever experience single digit gas mileage. My usual is around 14-16 mpg mixed, and have managed to get up to 21 mpg on extended freeway driving. The S600 is no Prius but fuel economy is not *that* bad.

The classic item that may give problems as the car ages is the ABC which is standard in the S600 but optional in the S550. However the w221 is not yet old enough to compare with the w220 which is where most of the "maintenance nightmare" reputation has arisen. In general the w221 S-Class is much more reliable and appears to incorporate a lot of lessons learnt, even Consumer Reports recommends it!

The S550 V8 should give you no surprises. The S600's V12 is one of the most powerful engines on the road but is more complex. I have had one turbocharger oil leak and last month a turbocharger pressure sensor failure in my 4+ years of ownership. It did not worry me at all, I have a full 7-year extended warranty and given the complexity of the vehicle things can and do happen. I think it helps if you have a mental attitude that at this level of performance and complexity sometimes unexpected things can happen, and to not stress out when they do. Think positive - repairs are installations of brand new components and preventive maintenance!

In general if you are covered by CPO/warranty, and unless you need AWD for weather reasons, insurance is an issue, or you don't have the right attitude and mentality that ownership of a car of this complexity requires, then the S600 is a fine choice. There are few other vehicles comparable in terms of being a luxury ride.

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 12-28-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts
From another owner's perspective, I would not trade in my used S600 for a brand spanking new, optioned out S550.

1. The level of refinement and luxury in the S600 is above and beyond 99.9% of all vehicles on the road, short of the Rolls/Bentley lines. There are far more gadgets in the 600 then there is in any other vehicle too - including night vision, massage, heated and ventilated and active seats, etc. etc.

2. The power....Its addicting to have a huge, luxury sedan that weighs as a much as a small moon embarrass so-called "sports cars." I have seen it time and time again - and its very satisfying - you will love it.

3. I have had some minor problems, including a radiator hose crack, hydraulic fluid leak and minor electronic gremlins - but these are expected in a car with this level of complexity. If you think about the fact that the front seat alone is more complicated and has more functions that your typical Kia, its not surprising that small stuff will come up.

Go for the S600 - you will never regret it.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Guess its time to look for an S600 more seriously then. The s550 im looking at I found does have those LED lights up front. Nice on the escalade, but IM not so sure I like it on a mercedes, Thats a big reason I dont like the new audis. I took a new 7 series out which I can get for the same prices as an 09 s600, but It just doesnt seem to have the class or feel of the S class. My father who is in his late 60's thinks the S class is an "old mans car" and to go for a 7 series, but I dont agree lol. One big plus to the S class is there are not many around, I see tons of 750 or 760 LI bmws around, I kinda like the exclusive feel to them. Also Just always been an MB fan.

But both cars im looking at are loaded, So its pretty much a toss up option wise. 550 has the night vision, rear seat package, coffee break warning system (not sure what its really called), lane change, and premium leather seats, im not sure if thats the same leather that is standard on an s600 however. Thanks again for the opinions guys. Right now im more so leaning to an s600. But the 2010 changes and awd kinda have me on a toss up. Even if I never need it, its just kinda nice to know its there. AS VA beach may not get much snow, but I travel to new york, and chicago in the winter months for 3-4 weeks each trip so im bound to get a snow storm, and even if the big citys dont get much snow, I know from my trip last year to chicago, the mountain roads were not fun, even in my big heavy yukon xl, and in a car with this much comfort and refinement, I would take that on trips for sure. Good thing is im not in a huge rush to buy one, if the perfect one comes tomorrow, great get the checkbook out, if its not for 3 months, im ok with that too.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by rollin thunder
Guess its time to look for an S600 more seriously then. The s550 im looking at I found does have those LED lights up front. Nice on the escalade, but IM not so sure I like it on a mercedes, Thats a big reason I dont like the new audis. I took a new 7 series out which I can get for the same prices as an 09 s600, but It just doesnt seem to have the class or feel of the S class. My father who is in his late 60's thinks the S class is an "old mans car" and to go for a 7 series, but I dont agree lol. One big plus to the S class is there are not many around, I see tons of 750 or 760 LI bmws around, I kinda like the exclusive feel to them. Also Just always been an MB fan.

But both cars im looking at are loaded, So its pretty much a toss up option wise. 550 has the night vision, rear seat package, coffee break warning system (not sure what its really called), lane change, and premium leather seats, im not sure if thats the same leather that is standard on an s600 however. Thanks again for the opinions guys. Right now im more so leaning to an s600. But the 2010 changes and awd kinda have me on a toss up. Even if I never need it, its just kinda nice to know its there. AS VA beach may not get much snow, but I travel to new york, and chicago in the winter months for 3-4 weeks each trip so im bound to get a snow storm, and even if the big citys dont get much snow, I know from my trip last year to chicago, the mountain roads were not fun, even in my big heavy yukon xl, and in a car with this much comfort and refinement, I would take that on trips for sure. Good thing is im not in a huge rush to buy one, if the perfect one comes tomorrow, great get the checkbook out, if its not for 3 months, im ok with that too.
The exclusive leather in the S600/S65 is of a higher quality than in the S550. It wears well and in my S600 after 4 years still looks pretty new. The seats in this leather are also the most comfortable I have ever sat in. The Alcantara headliner is just as plush.

The "old mans car" comment is ridiculous. The S-Class is a "wise mans car" though. It is very much a classic rock solid MB. Good luck with your choice.

Chris
Old 12-28-2011, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I'd got for the S600 if 4MATIC was not important for you. Having said that I really wish MB would adapt their 4MATIC system for the S600 and across their AMG line -- at least as a special order option so those who want it can get it. Lack of 4MATIC is the only reason I'd opt for a well optioned 550 over a 600.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I'd got for the S600 if 4MATIC was not important for you. Having said that I really wish MB would adapt their 4MATIC system for the S600 and across their AMG line -- at least as a special order option so those who want it can get it. Lack of 4MATIC is the only reason I'd opt for a well optioned 550 over a 600.
will never happen
Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Oliverk
will never happen
Never say never.

I happen to know of others who would have gone the AMG route over the 550 if 4MATIC was available. Mercedes used to mostly see RWD cars in the US and look what happened? They figured out there is demand for AWD and their AWD models are doing very well. Not just on snow but I love the surefooted acceleration and launch ability even on dry pavement with AWD. If you look at what happened with the CLS and other European manufacturers, there is definitely a trend towards AWD. I for one welcome it as I consider it a safety feature.

We can just agree to disagree on the merits of 4MATIC and high HP engines. My point being it would be nice to have the option for those of us who want that combination to pay extra to have that. All others can still have RWD
Old 01-02-2012, 02:00 PM

2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
Originally Posted by rollin thunder
Im new here so I apologize if this question has been asked ad nauseum. But Im in the hunt for a 1 to 2 year old CPO S class mercedes. I normally buy new but seeing the huge depreciation these things take im going to let someone else take the fall for that. The vehicles im looking at both have full warranties and have less than 10k miles on them. I also am not a fan of the LED lights, I think they look kinda gaudy (I have my escalade when I want to look gaudy lol) But I was origionally looking at an s550 then I came across and S600. Not knowing it existed, it seems to be a much more powerful version of the s550, and I do love power. How ever Im looking for an ultra luxury, full of bells and whistles, nice road trip car here. When I want to go fast I have other options () but Its always nice to have lots of power, and fuel economy is not an issue to me, im used to single diget MPG. My worry is Im new to modern European cars, I stick mainly to american or japanese cars and am not sure what kind of maintenance is required, or the reliability of said cars. Even with warranties It still a PITA to drop off a car for service all the time.

To save some time lets get back to my main question before I ramble off anymore. My info comes from unverified sources on the web so I may be wrong on some info here. But from what I have gathered these are my pros and Cons. I would greatly appreciate anybody sharing any info I dont know, or any mis informed facts being corrected. Thanks!

Pros of the s550
AWD, Great for bad weather. MB 4matic system seems amazing at car control. How ever I own 3 other 4wd Vehicles (however they have nowhere near as advanced traction or Diff control system) so Its not a need, just a want, but if I do get a 550 Its a deal breaker not to have it.

Cheaper- to buy, insure, repair, taxes (etc) Usaa only wants 112 for this per month.

Smoother suspension

More reliable.

7 speed gearbox

Cons.

Less options standard,
less power.

Pros of the s600.

More power.
Tons of features.
Rarer.
Amazing start up sound (always loved the way a v-12 starts up for some reason, sounds so "elegant"

Cons
Expensive, insure, repair, etc Usaa Wants 200 a month for this car.
Maintenance nightmare
Rare=harder to find, have to travel to purchase one
only a 5 speed.
No AWD
not sure on a v-12 reliability.

Oddly enough they dont seem to be to far separated in price when CPO. Looking at a 2010 s550 with 5k on the clock and a 2009 S600 with 9k on the OD and its just a 3K difference. Which IMO is not alot when you get an extra 130 hp and everything standard.

So please advise me as I greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Also drive the 2011/12 W221 S550 4.6TT, interesting to see what you think of it
Old 01-02-2012, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Never say never.

I happen to know of others who would have gone the AMG route over the 550 if 4MATIC was available. Mercedes used to mostly see RWD cars in the US and look what happened? They figured out there is demand for AWD and their AWD models are doing very well. Not just on snow but I love the surefooted acceleration and launch ability even on dry pavement with AWD. If you look at what happened with the CLS and other European manufacturers, there is definitely a trend towards AWD. I for one welcome it as I consider it a safety feature.

We can just agree to disagree on the merits of 4MATIC and high HP engines. My point being it would be nice to have the option for those of us who want that combination to pay extra to have that. All others can still have RWD
I have a 4matic and trust me I would love a v12 4matic, but it won't happen.

they would need to revamp the differentials, half shafts, transfer case, etc for the additional power and I don't think that makes sense. I feel like most people who are buying new S600s have the money for a GLK winter beater if they need it.

While we, as power-hungry owners would definitely like it, I'm guessing the true "new" demand is fairly low.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:34 PM

Well none of it mattered lol. Ended up deciding to trade my 07 yukon xl For a 2012 GL550 4matic. S class was a beautiful car, But I would miss the suv feel to much.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
Nonetheless, it was good to hear the positive comments on the S 600 and especially to have cjf Moraga chime in with his wisdom and experience with his '07 S 600.
I too have the same vintage and wouldn't trade if for a brand new S550.
That's how spoiled and addicted we can get to such a great car.
I just don't want to even go into a new version when them come out as I fear I'd like it too much as I'm truly tired of the huge depreciation hits over the years, especially when you buy new.
Let's hope they last and last...