S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

HELP! Multiple issues after Command / telematics update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 S560; 2019 Range Rover Supercharged; 1985 European model 280SL, Navigator Black Label, Lexus LX
HELP! Multiple issues after Command / telematics update

I had the dealer update my system yesterday from 07 to current and they also updated the maps which was great. I noticed an issue before I left in that my park assist was off - as I had the bulletin I simply showed it to them and they took it back and within a short while all appeared to be good. Birds Eye, Video, traffic, etc. Fast forward to today-
I start the car and the command screen is blank - nothing. I push the on button and it starts but I happen to notice that the Car settings - light dimming, mirror closing, rear shade, etc were not where they were. I try adjusting and nothing saves - the choice I make is there for a couple of seconds and then reverts back to 0 or off.
The read shade option wont let me adjust - when I try that option it says the car must be started to adjust - but the car is running!
On top of this when I turn off the car and lock it, walk away, etc. The system stays on.

I am SO hopeful someone can help me troubleshoot this. The dealer cannot do anything for me today but they can get me in on Monday which is not the end of the world but I am concerned as I question what they may have done.

Please share your thoughts!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
Your best bet is to bring it back and have them take a look at it since they touched it last?
Old 03-03-2012, 03:05 PM

2019 S560; 2019 Range Rover Supercharged; 1985 European model 280SL, Navigator Black Label, Lexus LX
additional info

You are right - it is going back on Monday but it's so odd and I thought someone might say - sound slike the XYZ fuse for instance.

Additional info - The IPOD connection is dead. The IPOD does not recognise as being connected (No MB symbol on the IPOD) and the stereo does not pick up anything via IPOD either.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:42 PM

Just went for a drive and it appears that the command system is not communicating with the car at all. It thinks the engine is off even when driving. After a while it actually put up a warning screen saying that unless the engine was started Command would shut down in 3 minutes.
Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:33 AM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
16 GL550
my guess is they didn't do the update right
Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S550V4 2001 S430 (Sold) 1976 450 SL
I ran into an Air Conditioning problem after telelmatcsupdate on my 2007 AWD. Summer came and no ac. I bought a new ac unit and dryer, thinking the thing went kaput. Fair amount of money spent on replacing. Still no ac. Out of warr. Indie did the replacement. Still no ac.

Relented and went to dlr. $200 later was told they just needed to program it so the Command "talked" to the ac. Couldn't believe a telematics update screwed that up. But, after programming, ac was/is fine.

The original probably was fine. I spent money needlessly. Anyone need a compressor and dryer......kinda J. The net, tons of things are interconnected and can be screwed up. Just an fyi. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:47 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Originally Posted by Em Bee Lover
I ran into an Air Conditioning problem after telelmatcsupdate on my 2007 AWD. Summer came and no ac. I bought a new ac unit and dryer, thinking the thing went kaput. Fair amount of money spent on replacing. Still no ac. Out of warr. Indie did the replacement. Still no ac.

Relented and went to dlr. $200 later was told they just needed to program it so the Command "talked" to the ac. Couldn't believe a telematics update screwed that up. But, after programming, ac was/is fine.

The original probably was fine. I spent money needlessly. Anyone need a compressor and dryer......kinda J. The net, tons of things are interconnected and can be screwed up. Just an fyi. Good luck.
Lesson here---
Do NOT try to coerce a dealer into doing the update if they are unfamiliar with it. Ask if any members in your area have had it done and then go to one of these dealers.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 PM

Update-
My car was at Mercedes all day and it is spending the night as well. Maybe I'll get it back tomorrow but they still haven't fixed it. According to my SA they re-installed the software today and let it sit for a little while and it repeated the above issues. Late afternoon the tech was now going item by item to see if he could pinpoint the culprit. It seems odd to me that something would just coincidentally go bad at the same time they did an update but I'll let you know what they come back with. I suppose they could have fried something or perhaps the settings are still wrong but we shall see. I am hopeful for good news tomorrow.

Regarding the comment above - while a good idea to see if someone has a dealer recommendation it should be easy enough for any dealer to read and follow the clear directions for this rather simple procedure. Sure it can take time but just dead time waiting on the system to do its thing - this update should not require a rocket surgeon or brain scientist.
My car was having the phone and phone book issues among other things so the update was needed - not to mention the newer operating system has significantly improvements.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 PM

Ok - here is the end result for those that may have a similar experience. The dealer upgraded my telematics and Command to the newest version (whatever that is) and they also updated the Nav disc (not sure which version of that either). In the process it hit a glitch and shut everything down as noted above. They thought it had traced back to a hardware issue with the Ipod cable interface of all thinigs so they ordered one and replaced it the next day. Unfortunately it did the same thing again. So they began checking all of the wiring. After running every trap known to man, the Mercedes engineers had them do all sorts of tests and they came back to the Ipod cable. Apparently the original version I had, as well as the replacement version, are not compatible with the updated telematics. There is a new version of the Ipod cable - it looks the same to me - and once that was in we are all set. I would supply model numbers but am not sure what they are. I can double check on my paperwork to see if it is there should anyone need more detail but hopefully this is documented now within the MB system should it happen to someone else. It took a week but the new system was worth it. I have traffic, video, better more reliable phone connection, etc. Thank goodness for loaner cars or this would have been a really long week.