S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Command Screen/Instrument Cluster Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2012 | 05:20 PM

2007 S550V4 2001 S430 (Sold) 1976 450 SL
Command Screen/Instrument Cluster Lights

2007 Designo Launch 4matic. The back lighting on Command screen and instrument cluster adjusts to the available ambient light. The intensity can be manually set through Command for Daytime, Nighttime or Automatic.

I have mine set on "auto". When starting and particularly in cold weather, both screens stay dark. Then the Command screen brightens Then, many minutes later, the instrument panel brightens. The instrument panel goes full bright. I know there are two "bright to dim" adjustment knobs between the two screens. Turning the cluster screen knob up or down doesn't change the brightness. I have also tried, via Command, to leave the light on "Daytime" and/or "Nighttime". That doesn't impact or change anything.

What controls these? Where's the sensor? Why after warming up (literal temperature) do they brighten?. The SA said for $200 they'd do a diagnosis. Being out of warr., that didn't sit well.

Any advice or ideas what could be the cause? Software vs. sensor? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks.