S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Battery drained - cannot unlock door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery drained - cannot unlock door

Hi all,

I left my parking lights on before going away for the week (doh!) and when I came back the battery was completely drained.

I am able to open the boot with the little emergency key, but NOT the driver side door! I've followed the instructions in the manual; inserting the key, turning it 90 degrees anti-clockwise, then pulling the handle, but to no avail. I've also tried pulling the handle WHILE turning the key - also of no use.

It's a 2006 S500 (the W221 shape), GCC spec model.

Can anyone please give me any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 07-07-2012, 04:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Have had that too.. Keep wiggling the key in the lock from side to side with some feeling and patience , at some point the door will unlock,I did not touch the handle btw..
Old 07-08-2012, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by marthyh
...at some point the door will unlock,I did not touch the handle btw..
Sounds like your door locks need service, should not open if you do not touch the handle.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221...lock-door.html
Old 07-08-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Yeah, will put some WD40 in the lock, so it opens a bit smoother next time ..
Hopefully Sam is able to use his exclusive limo now ....ergo that he has managed to finally get into the car!!

Btw my engine started right up when this happened, only accesoiries like trunk unlock and interiour lighting was minimal until the accessory battery in the rear was charged again.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marthyh
Yeah, will put some WD40 in the lock, so it opens a bit smoother next time ..
Hopefully Sam is able to use his exclusive limo now ....ergo that he has managed to finally get into the car!!

Btw my engine started right up when this happened, only accesoiries like trunk unlock and interiour lighting was minimal until the accessory battery in the rear was charged again.
Marthyh, I did indeed manage to get into my car! I ended up getting a Mercedes mechanic to come and open it for me.

There's a trick to this. You're apparently have to pull the handle three times exactly; Two pulls three quarters of the way, and one pull ALL the way out.

The mechanic tried to explain how the lock cylinder is constructed, but sounded like Swahili to me.

Anywho, thanks for your help!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 s600
These cars are power hungry. They keep using batt even when are parked.

If your car is going to sit for a while, get a solar battery tender. I have a 5 watt solar panel plugged into the rear cigarette lighter and never have a problem with the acc battery.
Simple solution if you never want that battery drained again.
My thing is, if MB knew that the S Series drains the battery even when parked, why didn't they install a small solar panel on the rear deck to prevent this from happening in the first place.
Somebody didn't do their homework....
Old 07-23-2012, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by greekviking
These cars are power hungry. They keep using batt even when are parked.

If your car is going to sit for a while, get a solar battery tender. I have a 5 watt solar panel plugged into the rear cigarette lighter and never have a problem with the acc battery.
Simple solution if you never want that battery drained again.
My thing is, if MB knew that the S Series drains the battery even when parked, why didn't they install a small solar panel on the rear deck to prevent this from happening in the first place.
Somebody didn't do their homework....
The S-class does not drain the battery much more than an E-class, assuming the car has no faults. The pre-facelift car has a separate starter battery that is not drained at all when the car is parked (other than internal battery leaks) and the car can be started even if the consumer battery went flat.

The solar charger unfortunately does not work well for most S-class cars when those are parked.