S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Wheel Brightener - Safe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Wheel Brightener - Safe?

Thinking of getting some Meg's Wheel Brightener to remove stubborn brake dust. Will the hydrofluoric acid ruin the 19" AMG Sport Package wheels that came with the car? I don't know whether or not the wheels are uncoated or if the wheels have polished aluminum.

Please help!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car
Originally Posted by amaycg
Thinking of getting some Meg's Wheel Brightener to remove stubborn brake dust. Will the hydrofluoric acid ruin the 19" AMG Sport Package wheels that came with the car? I don't know whether or not the wheels are uncoated or if the wheels have polished aluminum.

Please help!
From what I know all S550 wheels are painted alloy wheels. However, as a current user of Meguiar's Wheel Brightener, I must warn you of a few things:

1. If your wheels has been damaged in any way (such as curbing), the use of acidic wheel cleaners (like this) may over time peel the paint away.

2. Since this is acid, it is recommended that you, at the minimum, wear gloves for protection. If it gets on your skin, get it off with water.

3. The smell, if it is hot outside, can cause people to feel sick for a minute. The worse that happened to me is that I coughed due to the scent.

4. DO NOT LET IT DRY ON THE WHEELS. Acid if left to dry can stain the finish.

What I suggest is spending the extra money on Sonax or P21S Gel Wheel cleaner. (I've also heard that Brown Royal wheel cleaner is really good, especially at its cheaper price, but have no idea where to get it) Not only are they much safer and appealing, but they can be left on for an hour then rinse off at your liking. Most say that their performance is equal or better than Wheel Brightener.

BTW if you think your brake dust on your Mercedes is bad, try the same year 750Li. You will start to see brake dust after 3 miles.

Last edited by CarboyS; 08-10-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:36 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by CarboyS
From what I know all S550 wheels are painted alloy wheels. However, as a current user of Meguiar's Wheel Brightener, I must warn you of a few things:

1. If your wheels has been damaged in any way (such as curbing), the use of acidic wheel cleaners (like this) may over time peel the paint away.

2. Since this is acid, it is recommended that you, at the minimum, wear gloves for protection. If it gets on your skin, get it off with water.

3. The smell, if it is hot outside, can cause people to feel sick for a minute. The worse that happened to me is that I coughed due to the scent.

OMG I will stay away !!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Originally Posted by CarboyS

What I suggest is spending the extra money on Sonax or P21S Gel Wheel cleaner. (I've also heard that Brown Royal wheel cleaner is really good, especially at its cheaper price, but have no idea where to get it) Not only are they much safer and appealing, but they can be left on for an hour then rinse off at your liking. Most say that their performance is equal or better than Wheel Brightener.

BTW if you think your brake dust on your Mercedes is bad, try the same year 750Li. You will start to see brake dust after 3 miles.
Thanks for the info
Sonax just isn't getting all the dirt out!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:30 AM

mbw
nice sharing...

Last edited by Davis83; 08-11-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:18 AM

S550 AMG
I use Sonax too. Works good. Here they have a review
http://tinyurl.com/c85klrc

"SONAX Wheel Cleaner's acid-free, non-corrosive formula is safe on all types of painted, alloy, anodized, clear coated, chrome, aluminum and stainless steel wheels. Clean with confidence!"