S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Considering getting a high mileage 2007 S550...have ?'s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Audi S4 Avant 6spd.
Considering getting a high mileage 2007 S550...have ?'s

So, here's the skinny, I've been offered a straight up trade for a car that I'm selling. *

I had never considered an S550, but have owned A8L, many Audi's over the years, and don't have the time to really do my due diligence, so I'm hoping you guys can help me with some info. *

The car is super clean, but has ~130,000 miles. *Here's what I know; panorama roof, Harmon Kardon audio, new tie rod ends, beautiful inside and out.*
- rear view camera doesn't appear to work
- oil change coming due

Here's what I need to know:
1). Major things to look for?
2). Is the rear view camera a common problem, or easy fix?
3). It has updated led tail lights that while fully functional, are throwing errors on the display. *Is this just a matter of adding capacitors, or is this an electrical gremlin?

Thanks for helping me with my ability to make snap, impulsive and possibly horrible decisions. ;-)
Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 PM

2006 Audi S4 Avant 6spd.
So, what have I done wrong here to have 73 views, but not one response?

Introduce myself first?
Search the archives and try to compile the aggregate knowledge of this forum?
Troll the forum?

I'm just looking for a few insights to help me make a decision here guys...it's not like I'm crashing a private party, or trying to hit on your wives.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:56 PM

07' 911 Turbo, 09 ML63
first of all, im not expert but ask eric to run VIN to make sure you dont have bad idler gear issue. The miles is kinda of high for me. I have mine cpo and there have been over 11k warrnty work done so far..
I have 58k miles on mine. A few thigns went in for power winder driver side, front suspenion strut, head rest wont go down, seat lumbar pump, washer pump
Old 08-16-2012, 02:06 PM

2006 Audi S4 Avant 6spd.
Originally Posted by carboxy
first of all, im not expert but ask eric to run VIN to make sure you dont have bad idler gear issue. The miles is kinda of high for me. I have mine cpo and there have been over 11k warrnty work done so far..
I have 58k miles on mine. A few thigns went in for power winder driver side, front suspenion strut, head rest wont go down, seat lumbar pump, washer pump
Thank you for replying!

I'm new here, and in my experience from Audi forums, noobs are totally ignored...but hey, at some point all great forum contributors started off as noobs.

I don't know who Eric is, but if you can direct me to him, here's the vin: WDDNG71X37A029914

I don't know the seller of this car, so I'm trying to do my due diligence here, and make sure I'm not getting into a bad deal.

Thanks again, Carboxy.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
These cars are very sensitive if you asked me. I don't think I would trade up for such a high milage car, especially an S class. There repairs could cost a lot if the car was not well kept, maintance wise? The car is probably due for a transmission flush also with the oil change. If the tail lights are oem. It will throw error messages and I wouldnt recommend you to add resistors. Them things get hot and can do some serious damage.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:27 PM

2006 Audi S4 Avant 6spd.
Originally Posted by phatisfy
These cars are very sensitive if you asked me. I don't think I would trade up for such a high milage car, especially an S class. There repairs could cost a lot if the car was not well kept, maintance wise? The car is probably due for a transmission flush also with the oil change. If the tail lights are oem. It will throw error messages and I wouldnt recommend you to add resistors. Them things get hot and can do some serious damage.
Thanks, Phatisfy...this is what I'm figuring as well.

I'm waiting on a friend to reply with the Carfax, but this is looking like it could be the greatest money pit ever seen since that Tom Hanks and Shelly Long movie. ;-)

I'm definitely going to pass on this as the Audi that he wants to trade me for is probably the most fun dog hauler I've owned.

The mileage is really high, the story is too good to be true, and while what I see is beautiful, it's what I don't see that will be expensive.

On a side note...in reading through threads here, you must be happy to have your mirror issue fixed/close to resolution!

Cheers!
Scott
Old 08-16-2012, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
Yup. When something sounds too good to be true, it's usually not. And yes, my mirror issue is finally been fixed.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Well I think its not that noobs are ignored or something like that,but that experiences here on the W221 forum differ quite a lot.
You have the W221 drivers that have bought new and experience vibration issues on the engine,amongst other serious complaints luckily and obviously still under full warranty .
I am sure there is a bunch out there that have bought second-hand and besides regular maintenance ,have money left to spend to pimp their ride and very Happy ( I mean exstatic)and there are plenty out there that have spent serious money on repair and still have issues, so its difficult to say.
Known major issues: timing chain/sprocket of the earlier engineM273, tranny and suspension issues and a handfull of nagging things like parktronic sensors that disable themelves sometimes ,asr sensors beeping sometimes and more electronic quircks.
High mileage does not nessecarily have to be an issue depending wether its highway or city-miles.
I would get a W221 with warranty and known maintenance history only.
Go and have a test drive in a W221 surely you will be sold ..Understanding you are going to pass on this deal might be wise ..but I'd go and get a fresh one and never look back .
Good luck !!

Last edited by marthyh; 08-16-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
Originally Posted by marthyh
Well I think its not that noobs are ignored or something like that,but that experiences here on the W221 forum differ quite a lot.
You have the W221 drivers that have bought new and experience vibration issues on the engine,amongst other serious complaints luckily and obviously still under full warranty .
I am sure there is a bunch out there that have bought second-hand and besides regular maintenance ,have money left to spend to pimp their ride and very Happy ( I mean exstatic)and there are plenty out there that have spent serious money on repair and still have issues, so its difficult to say.
Known major issues: timing chain/sprocket of the earlier engineM273, tranny and suspension issues and a handfull of nagging things like parktronic sensors that disable themelves sometimes ,asr sensors beeping sometimes and more electronic quircks.
High mileage does not nessecarily have to be an issue depending wether its highway or city-miles.
I would get a W221 with warranty and known maintenance history only.
Go and have a test drive in a W221 surely you will be sold ..Understanding you are going to pass on this deal might be wise ..but I'd go and get a fresh one and never look back .
Good luck !!
+ 1

I would not buy a benz if it had more than one owner and w/o all documented maintenance records. i would always get warranty specially if its S class. Too many expensive toys. At 130K miles even if the car was babied some suspension parts will need replacing if they have not been already.
I would be scared to think what's inside the tranny if there are no maintenance records of transmission flushes.
However, that does not say that one with 40k will not give you issues. As mentioned above some have problems since day one.
But overall i would think that most agree that W221 is fairly successful in quality compare to W220.

Edit:
Make sure you drive multiple S classes with different mileage to get a perspective. The first time i drove one it had 40K on it and I said it would be a waste of money for me. As it drove like my W220 with 90K miles which was still in exceptional shape. Except for toys it drove just like my 04 S500.
Then drove 2 more just for the heck of it ad different times while looking for cars for Wife and sister in law. Was unimpressed until i final drove a well kept car with 50K on the clock and ended up buying S550 two weeks later.
That last one with 50K was so smooth and powerful and handled better. And i finally understood that i was test driving rundown junk before that.

Last edited by malahhaor; 08-16-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM

2006 Audi S4 Avant 6spd.
Thanks Marthyh,

I've driven this specific W221, and the ride is exactly what I'd expected...seller "has all maintenance records", but they're "not on hand at the moment".

Fortunately, I've been on both sides of purchases as well...brand new with issues, preowned without issues, and everything in between.

I'm going to see what the Carfax says and I'll follow up here to see what it uncovers!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Ads for comparable high mileage 2007s are running thousands higher than 2006 S4s. In a heads up, you are coming out ahead if the S has the service records and it should have all its early problems sorted out. I would expect things to break on either car but the Benz will have higher repair costs. If what you need works, it drives ok and shows no major damage, go for it.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:45 PM

Euro 300SL,SL320,,S550,Porsche 911 Carrera
Go with the VIN to a dealer and ask him to pull the service records ,in today's time there are no books needed.
If the car has no records run Forest run.
I just sold my 95 S420 with 253K miles in perfect condition so high Miles are not a problem if the car is serviced right
Old 08-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(1960) 300d, S550 AMG S500 S600 560SEL
definitely high mileage are not a major issue, bring the car to a dealership and have them plug a star computer to diagnose, then ask them for an estimate, from there you can asses the selling price and if it is up to your liking. This Cars W221 are actually great cars with lots of fun amenities and a fantastic power and great riding comfort. Get someone who is actually knowlegeable to check out the car before you plunge into it.