S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Seat travel programming threshold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S550V4 2001 S430 (Sold) 1976 450 SL
Seat travel programming threshold

An option allows the steering wheel to tilt up and the driver's seat to move back upon engine shut down and door opening. Conversely, the seat and wheel return to presets upon seating and engine start-up.

Anyone who has this option knows the seat must come forward enough to pass an "activation threshold" before the option activates. I am 6'4" and 290 pounds. To activate the option, I have to have the seat forward so far my right knee is literally pushed into the under dash bolster by the console. It is quite uncomfortable and confining. I have shut off the option. But, the automatic seat retraction makes car entry and exit much easier, I wish I could use it.

My question....can the threshold where the option activates be changed or reprogrammed? In other words, can the "activation threshold" be programmed to "kick in" earlier in forward seat travel or "kick in" farther back from the bolster/underdash? Dlr. SA says it cannot.

I am sure I am not the only above average size owner who has this quandary. All help appreciated. Thanks.