S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

So I just had a nice long talk with Brabus USA.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 S550, 10 S550, 08 GL550, 05 SL65, 97 SL600, 09 E63
So I just had a nice long talk with Brabus USA.

I really needed to understand what was available for the 221 platform and how it would affect a New Car Warranty. So here's the skinny:

1. There are 2 performance upgrades that actually matter (At least of any significant consequence):

a. 490 HP Upgrade Vmax ECU unit (about 1 hour install time): $8000.00
b. 520 HP Upgrade Vmax ECU + New Intercooler (they estimate a day's work, I'll estimate 3 for the sake of being conservative): $9000.00

The installation labor is not included in this pricing. Figure another $3000.00 to install (roughly).

Both upgrades come with the Brabus emblems. (I'd probably change the door sills to the illuminated Brabus emblems just to make sure things looked clean all the way around). The door sills would be an extra cost, but at the point where you're dumping that kind of cash into a car it doesn't really matter anymore... What's a bit extra?

2. How does it affect the Engine / Drivetrain Warranty and do I need to upgrade stock components?:

Brabus stated that it invalidates the MB warranty, but they'll pick it up and warranty the ENTIRE drivetrain for (4/50,000 Miles) if it's a new car (as in you're the first owner) or 2 Years/ ??? if you're not the first owner. Apparently, mileage on the existing engine / drivetrain matters, but it's of little consequence to anyone thinking about spending this kind of cash anyway.

They pay the (Brabus) dealer for any warranty work directly. (No money out of your pocket). Also a big plus in my eyes. The only issue I would have to deal with is getting a loaner car.

There is no need to upgrade drivetrain components due to the fact that they've stated the stock drivetrain can handle the extra power.

3. What's the Vmax on the car after the upgrade?

They have various profiles available (from leaving it stock) to 300 Kmh (186.4 Mph).

Setting a higher Vmax requires a reprogramming of the Speedo.. Another 2K in cost + a week or so in time to do it (if you overnight the parts back and forth I'm assuming).. After all, I'm not going to be the only client in the queue.

Conclusion:

Based on what I've seen, I don't see why I wouldn't go with a Brabus upgrade on the car if I were to do anything with it. I just needed concrete facts on how things were handled and what it would mean "all-in" for the performance upgrades (as well as how repairs and warranty was handled).

While 11-12K (USD) is a sizable chunk of scratch for a performance upgrade, it's reliable performance that the tuner stands behind. 35 years in business says a lot for a tuner. A 50K Mile warranty on the drivetrain (not just the engine) speaks volumes about reliability and drivability. While it's significantly more than other tuners charge, this one actually comes with a real warranty. One misstep in a tuned upgrade could cost well more than the 5-6K extra one would put out on a repair at a dealership.

So ultimately, I'm really leaning towards doing it. Just need to decide whether or not I'm prepared to keep the car more than 3 years.

The conversation with them (Brabus) put my mind at ease and answered all the questions I needed answered.. Now it's just a question of whether or not I want it enough to justify the cost. I hope this research helps others in making a decision when it comes to tuning their rides. No reason to duplicate all the work when one person can do the research and share the facts with everyone else. (All this came straight from Brabus).

I couldn't see myself going with any other brand of enhancement for any reason.. It just makes fiscal sense.. (as if there were such a thing in the world of Benz tuning.. lol).

Oh.. almost forgot.. Fuel Economy stays "roughly" the same.. (I asked that question too).

They also have an exhaust setup that allows you to be throatier with the flick of a switch when you just wanna make a point.. haha.. gotta love those guys. (exactly what my friend was suggesting I do with wastegate dumps on a relay).. **chuckle**
Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Get an AMG next time and don't be a wanna be. Easy.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM

I considered getting an AMG this time around. (It not as if I haven't owned them in the past). While I love them, I'd prefer something a touch different. It would seem every other benz down here in my area is an AMG. Now Brabus.. I don't think I've seen one of these down here.. (and I'm not talking about a badged one, but something with the performance behind it).

It's like a watch to me.. I wouldn't own a rolex, because there are too many of them. I'd prefer something a bit different.. like Baume et Mercier.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Why not the Renntech module? 530hp and 606lb ft with a MSRP $2,800 chip. They've also been in the business forever and don't charge you an arm and a heart transplant to get anything from them- they only charge you one arm. =]

$8,000 for a chip is simply ludicrous, if you're serious about dropping that type of coin you really should've went with the 600.

BTW were you speaking with Anthony over at Brabus?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 PM

The Brabus module isn't actually a chip. It's a separate module that goes in with the existing ECU. Brabus also offers the drivetrain warranty. The two factors that I like about Brabus are the warranty (a huge plus for any new car owner) and the fact that firmware upgrades to the existing ECU don't wipe your fuel-maps.

Again, I'm still on the fence. Just like to know my options. If Renntech offered a warranty that included my drivetrain, I'd definitely consider them a contender. Just trying to cover all the bases and figure out options that make sense for my particular situation.

The other thing I need to consider is whether I'm really willing to keep a car more than 3 years. I like switching out to something new every 3 years.