S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Car not recognizing key until started

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Car not recognizing key until started

07 W221

Can anyone help me on this. Sometimes the car and my key wont like eachother! Sometimes Ill try and open the trunk from the keypad but I doesn't work but it will lock and unlock, when the trunk is open, the button to close it sometime will not be lit and I cant use the button to close so I have to manually do it. Ill come out the next day and the key and car wil be fine like nothing happened and trunk will be normal.

Now today I don't understand this thing. I cant get into the car period, I have to use the key to manually open the door. I get inside and everything is DEAD as a doorknob, or the interior lights would pop on (almost like they were sleep and forgot to wake up when the door open) 2 seconds later. The thing is now is that after all that there's still no power in the car. I press the start button and a loud popping noise pops and the screens shoot on in a distorted way almost like they are bout to have a power surge. Car starts, everything working. I shut the car off and now im able to use the key, lock door unlock also but no truck response. Soon as the "don't forget key" message goes off the power is lost again!

Does anyone think they might know what it could be. Dealership visit soon!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:33 PM

s class 500
i'm not that professional but try to take off the butter for seconds then have it back ..
but let's see what others may add..
hope things go well with your pretty one .
Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
This car has 2! batteries :one starter battery under the bonnet and one in the trunk behind the largest vertical panel .
Sounds to me like you have a failing accessoiry battery in the trunk, either some consumer drawing current from that one..
Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 PM

S550
Thanx a lot will check today. I recently (6-8 months ago) had that battery replaced. Hope that's the trick!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I6 and V6 Diesels
Had the same problem when I left my headlights on (it was foggy so I was not usng the Automatic settings). Used my manual key, heard a split second alarm and everything died. Strange thing though, after 10 minutes (while I was waiting for a jump) I got in and the systems seem to reset themselves, and the car started up just fine...everything went back to normal. I don't know how the starter battery recovered so quickly, but I have not had a problem since. 69000 miles and 81 months and it is still running strong, though I am in a warmer climate of northern california.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 PM

S550
Thanx a lot guys! The funny thing is that I just replaced the rear battery! Gave her a jump from the rear and everything was back to normal. Rear battery has been replaced! Thanx again