S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

brake pipe corrosion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w221
brake pipe corrosion

I recently took my 2007 w221 s320 cdi for MOT (road worthiness test). It passed ok, but the dealer gave me an advisory that the brake pipes are starting to corrode and might need replacing at next MOT. They gave me a whopping £1200 for this.Is there any way around it?
Thanks in anticipation.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Search for POR 15

I don't know the extent of your corrosion but I use POR 15 and their series of products when I do my annual post winter inspection of the underside. Given the car, one has to remove the cladding or shields to get at all the lines which is one of the reasons their price maybe exorbitant. However it is easy to do if you use common power tools and have access to a lift. One should do a thorough gentle pressure cleaning of the detritus clinging to the car. The use of liquified salts in winter for road deicing has only made the problem worse. I spoke to an ordinary repair shop Chevys Fords Subarus and he said the vast majority of his repair business is replacing these lines.

I do not know if there are better say stainless lines available for MB. If I were fitting new stock lines, I would certainly coat them with POR 15 or a similar product before installation.

I also take no responsibility for your particular situation since I don't know the extent of the corrosion but you might give it a go.