S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Rear suspension link HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 e63s, 2020 Range Rover, 2019 a6 prestige
Exclamation Rear suspension link HELP!!

I had some lowering links re-installed the other week and my buddy who installed them said the previous mechanic who installed the links had zip tied the OEM rear link to secure it from pivoting on the shaft. My buddy was telling me that this didn't seem right. And it seems as if there should be a set screw or some type of mount to secure the link from moving. Can i get some help with this issue possibly a part number of some sort in which i can order to secure the rear link from moving. The rear link is installed it just pivots ("swivels") on the shaft in which its connected. Thus possibly causing my car to bottom out if it loosens. Any help will be much appreciated. As of now the link is still being secured with a zip tie.

thanks fellow lifers.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Some links should have a tiny locking-spring which holds the socket of the rod against the 'ball' of the other side on the torsionbar.
If you check the rod closely you will see a very small drill hole into which one side of the locking-spring sits then when installing you slide the pin of the spring in the rod to secure ball in hole then rotate the spring and click in place over the rod to secure everything.

Btw this goes for some type of lowering links.

Originally the ball and socket joints are made of a sort of flexible nylon/ rubber which flexes just enough to uninstall and/or install the links.

http://mb.ilcats.ru/part/class/1/cco...p/35/subgr/080

Last edited by marthyh; 06-01-2013 at 02:26 PM.