S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Deciding on a Car...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 911
Deciding on a Car...

Hello all! I hope I'm posting this in the right area (if not please advise)! I bought a Porsche 911 in '07 and now am looking for another car I've been looking at the S600, CL600, and S65 AMG. I would love to buy one of the newer ones but can't justify spending that much on a car (okay, I can but the wife said no ). Locally, there is a S600 and a CL600 for sale. Both have around 90K in miles. As I understand, the CL is pretty much like the coupe version of the S class. They're both fully decked out (keyless go, night view, massage seats, etc...). Every option except the "Designo Package" was taken. There is also a '08 S65 AMG not to far from me which I also really like (wasn't '08 where they really stepped it up?). All three are within my price range. But, how much is it to maintain these cars per year? My wife is the one who is supposed to be receiving the new car (a '14 E550 Cabriolet) but I found these and I like them. I need a bigger car anyways (I have a work truck but am looking for something more luxurious). Anyways, what are the good/bad/& ugly points to these cars? I don't plan on carrying more than two people a whole lot which is the only reason the CL600 is in the picture (I also heard they have a sportier feel which I kinda like). Okay, enough of my rambling. I plan on adding a kit that makes the car look newer (adding the headlights, mirror covers, DRL's, and a AMG body kit). I have a shop out back where I work on cars in my spare time (currently restoring a '69 Camaro) and can do most modifications there. Thanks in advance for the answers!!! Also, is there any type of remote start system for these cars? It gets cold here and this car wouldn't have a climate controlled garage to go to. All the space I have left is a carport, it'll be protect from all the elements except for the temperature.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
buying an AMG out of warranty you should expect some high upkeep costs......all the cars you mentioned are V12 right? MONEY
and why does the wife say NO? you can do what you want to right? not trying to be disrespectful but it burns me up when guys say "my wife said no"
Old 10-21-2013, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
+1, unless of course she is letting me hang out at home and get in touch with my lazy bum side. In any event, your wife sounds more expensive than the car. You could always trade her in for a more agreeable and newer model?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
In all seriousness, I personally would not consider one of these vehicles without a lot less mileage and a CPO warranty. The cost of repairs can cause shock to a system, especially with AMG models with Ceramic rotors (do I hear $15K+ plus for a brake job?). If I were you I would strongly consider a V8, diesel, or hybrid S over such high mileage S600s and AMGs. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:44 AM

s550
Maybe you should consider an Maserati GranTurismo. I recently bought a S550, and now am considering switching to a Gran Turismo
Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
S65 GL320CDI GLS63 80 Series Landcruiser
Timmy, I have an '08 S65 and I had a '00 S500. I drive a lot and there is nothing more enjoyable for me than hitting the highway in an S Class. My S500 was an easy car with tires that would go 30-40K miles and an easy engine to work around with relatively cheap parts. Not much management, drive it every day and if it needed something a trip to the Indy took care of it. I drove it 220K miles and didn't have many worries. The AMG is a little different, you need to either have enough money and patience that dropping the car at the dealer is not an issue. Or, if this is not you, you need to be a car guy who can manage the car yourself. The car needs good management. By this I mean, when 60K miles comes around can you do your own plugs? When a coil pack goes out are you able to diagnose it and replace it yourself? When the front rotors go can you source the parts and replace them yourself? Of course a good Indy may work with you on parts prices and do the work for you. Do you know a good Indy and have you created a strong relationship with him? When the car seems a little noisier than it used to be can you figure out its the motor mounts and get the job done for only $1,300? Can you figure out which items need maintenance (and when) versus the dealer upselling everything to you when you pull in? Do you know competent people that will spend time with you until your alignment is perfect? Can you figure out which rear tires to put on the car so you don't need to replace them every 6K miles? If you can manage the car then yes, the car is great. If not, you'll hate it. Everything is expensive with these cars because Mercedes premium prices everything related to it. BTW, you can get the front rotors and pads done for slightly less than $2K despite what you may hear (assuming you can turn a wrench)!
Old 10-24-2013, 04:44 PM

'07 Porsche 911
Originally Posted by UNderdog
Timmy, I have an '08 S65 and I had a '00 S500. I drive a lot and there is nothing more enjoyable for me than hitting the highway in an S Class. My S500 was an easy car with tires that would go 30-40K miles and an easy engine to work around with relatively cheap parts. Not much management, drive it every day and if it needed something a trip to the Indy took care of it. I drove it 220K miles and didn't have many worries. The AMG is a little different, you need to either have enough money and patience that dropping the car at the dealer is not an issue. Or, if this is not you, you need to be a car guy who can manage the car yourself. The car needs good management. By this I mean, when 60K miles comes around can you do your own plugs? When a coil pack goes out are you able to diagnose it and replace it yourself? When the front rotors go can you source the parts and replace them yourself? Of course a good Indy may work with you on parts prices and do the work for you. Do you know a good Indy and have you created a strong relationship with him? When the car seems a little noisier than it used to be can you figure out its the motor mounts and get the job done for only $1,300? Can you figure out which items need maintenance (and when) versus the dealer upselling everything to you when you pull in? Do you know competent people that will spend time with you until your alignment is perfect? Can you figure out which rear tires to put on the car so you don't need to replace them every 6K miles? If you can manage the car then yes, the car is great. If not, you'll hate it. Everything is expensive with these cars because Mercedes premium prices everything related to it. BTW, you can get the front rotors and pads done for slightly less than $2K despite what you may hear (assuming you can turn a wrench)!

I'm a car guy myself. I've been build cars (Factory Five Racing Cars specifically) and I have some tools that help me along the way. I have a 4-post lift and have the capability to diagnose any problem that the ECU detects with some handy-dandy computer tech, have the capability to align the wheels. I can weld too. I was an electrical engineer for an oil company in Saudi Arabia before I retired so I have the electrical stuff covered as well. With the amount of tools in my garage, I have no doubt that I could build a Mercedes from the ground up (as long as I had the parts). If I don't feel like doing something, or I don't know if I'm doing it right, my closest friend (grew up with him) owns a Mercedes dealership about 4 miles away from where I live. I have full confidence in him.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Get the S65 and Star(MBsoftware) and a bucket of spare money and enjoy the ride!!