S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Repairing single coil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes benz
Repairing single coil

Hello everyone,
Here is the deal. My 2007 S600 W221 has been surprising me in a bad way lately. Few months ago I had misfires on the right coil pack specific cylinders, fortunately I got my hands on a new coil pack and replaced it myself. Now after some time, the other side has been acting up, and now it says that there is misfire on cylinder 3.

Since I'm done throwing money at this hell of a lovely car, and I was wondering, is it possible to repair this coil pack by myself? I have the tools and parts and knowledge. I know that some have tried to repair, and the solution is only for a short period, but I am feeling confident, and I am sure I could to the job properly.
My question is:
1) How to determine which is the cylinder 3? Is there a scheme or explanation how to determine that?
2) Is it possible to just remove and replace those single coils on the coil pack and they would work?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
S65 GL320CDI GLS63 80 Series Landcruiser
Each bank of cylinders has a coilpack so two coilpacks per engine. You can replace each coilpack separately but not each coil within the coilpack. I have not heard of anybody repairing them but maybe someone out this can do it. I have one that I've replaced and saved just in case somebody was rebuilding them some day. I think cylinders 1-6 are the passenger side (assuming you drive in the US!). Plugs should be done every 60,000 miles and there are 2 per cylinder (24 total). If you can do it yourself shop around on line to get best prices. Many MB dealers offer 25% off for phone orders when they're shipping out of their market area. New red insulators come with new coilpacks from the dealer.