S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

ipods, windows phone and pcmcia...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s320
ipods, windows phone and pcmcia...

Hey guys,

first off - hello! I recently drove home an 09 s320 cdi, and it's a lovely motor, but I could use some assistance on the entertainment front. I have the aux port (audio l/r & video) in the glove box, and the phone prewiring kit (central storage compartment has that small connector in it)

The problem with the Aux port is it means leaving mt ipod in the glove box playing away with no control over it, and it won't charge. My local dealership has informed me that Mercedes have discontinued the ipod integration kit for my model, but surely I can get hold of one somewhere? They did say that if I could find one, they'd fit it...

my other question related to this is the pcmcia slot. If the ipod is a no-go, I could get a pcmcia card and memory card - what would people recommend? I've read some posts about people having trouble with it so I'd like some pointers here, preferably as much capacity as possible. Also, does the 255 folder/4000 file limit still apply here as it does on cds/dvds?

last but not least, I use a Windows Phone(Lumia 920) but unfortunately it doesn't support Sim Access Profile, so although I can pair it with the car it immediately disconnects. With the prewiring kit, I understand I can get various cradles or other devices (I'm kinda unknowledagble about this sort of thing) that act as an interface between my phone and the car - will any of these allow me to pair & use my WP8 device through the COMAND system & wheel buttons?

thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 03-14-2014, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Welcome!

No Aux in solution will preserve the COMAND and steering wheel integration. You'd need the MB IPod kit and an IPod/IPhone for that. But I'm a big fan of the Aux In, and I use it exclusively even though my 2010 has full IPod integration built in. (I use an outboard equalizer and an outboard DAC for better audio quality. Post is here: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...und-100-a.html

I'd tackle your car as follows. This will give you charging to and audio from your Nokia, and I'd use the Nokia both as a phone and as a media player.

-Purchase a vehicle-specific toolless mount, and a device specific cradle from Proclips. This will allow you to cleanly mount the mobile device in the cabin so it can be controlled. Proclips makes two mounts for the 09 221, one for the console and one up on the dash. Personally I'd prefer the console mount. The Proclip mounts literally snap in to install...no tools or drilling and they leave nothing behind when uninstalled.

Mount:

http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...854-13013.cmsv

Cradle:

http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hold...462-19096.cmsv

For the Lumia, I recommend the mount with the built in charging port (link above) so you're not having to disconnect and reconnect cables.

-Get a 12v receptacle, a 3' stereo mini plug (headphone jack) to male RCA cable, and a cig lighter USB charger from Radio Shack.

-Pick up 12v power (red wire) from the fuse panel on the passenger side of the dash board. On the side of the dash is a panel. Pry that panel open, pull a fuse and wrap a power wire around a blade then reinstall the fuse.

Attach the ground wire (black) under the bolt where indicated.

Run your wires along the panel crease between the fuseblock and the glovebox and place the 12v receptacle either in the glove box or run enough wire to get you into the center console where the rest of your connections will be. You'll find places to hide the wires as you go.

Run the aux audio and power wires from the console to your phone mount and you're good to go. If you want to eliminate the audio cable from the Lumia to the aux-in center console ports, add a BT Audio receiver to the set up:

http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Mini-jack-RX-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B0038MA11U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394819357&sr=8-3&keywords=miccus+blue+tooth+adapter http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Mini-jack-RX-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B0038MA11U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394819357&sr=8-3&keywords=miccus+blue+tooth+adapter

It'll need it's own power so get a double USB cig charger.

As for the BT phone function, post a pic of the existing phone adapter in the console and I'll get you headed in the right direction.

Last edited by Mike5215; 03-14-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 S550
I recently did a lil bit of research. I found that there are 2 different wires for the media interface. I was at the dealer the other day and told the salesman who sold me my car. He told me I had the wrong wire and bought me a different (toothbrush head) and after I hooked it up my music and all controls worked. Just a suggestion.