S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Reed Valve and Water Intrusion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 S550
Reed Valve and Water Intrusion

Hi,
I just had my 2012 S550 in for service due to water leaking from under the dash on the passenger side onto the carpet.

Under warranty, my MB dealer replaced a reed valve, a water filled blower motor, water soaked cabin filter and dried everything out.

They stated that a clogged reed valve was the problem which allowed exterior rain water to get into the inside of the vehicle.

I have never had a vehicle that was susceptible to water intrusion into the vehicle cabin.

The recent repair work resulting from the clogged reed valve has me concerned. Based on what just happened, this is obviously a serious and costly issue, that could potentially result in electrical issues in the future.

I did a google search that revealed a class action lawsuit regarding MB and this exact issue on cars up to 2006.

It seems the issue hasn’t been resolved on the W221’s.

I asked the dealer to send me a copy of any technical material from service bulletins, shop manual or whatever MB has, so that I can monitor this and I can clean this area if necessary, so this never happens again. They said they would get back to me.

So my question is, are there other S550 owners that have experienced this?
What do you do to monitor this so it isn't a problem in the future?
Even with a clean reed valve, are these cars susceptible to water intrusion in heavy, constant downpours.

I'm concerned.

Other than that, we love the vehicle.

I would appreciate all comments.
Thank you.

Please let me know.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:35 PM

'01 S500 AMG Sport, ABC,Distronic,Rear Side Shades // '10 E350 P2, Pano, BLK/ALM,4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by powerplay13
Hi,
I just had my 2012 S550 in for service due to water leaking from under the dash on the passenger side onto the carpet.

Under warranty, my MB dealer replaced a reed valve, a water filled blower motor, water soaked cabin filter and dried everything out.

They stated that a clogged reed valve was the problem which allowed exterior rain water to get into the inside of the vehicle.

I have never had a vehicle that was susceptible to water intrusion into the vehicle cabin.

The recent repair work resulting from the clogged reed valve has me concerned. Based on what just happened, this is obviously a serious and costly issue, that could potentially result in electrical issues in the future.

I did a google search that revealed a class action lawsuit regarding MB and this exact issue on cars up to 2006.

It seems the issue hasn’t been resolved on the W221’s.

I asked the dealer to send me a copy of any technical material from service bulletins, shop manual or whatever MB has, so that I can monitor this and I can clean this area if necessary, so this never happens again. They said they would get back to me.

So my question is, are there other S550 owners that have experienced this?
What do you do to monitor this so it isn't a problem in the future?
Even with a clean reed valve, are these cars susceptible to water intrusion in heavy, constant downpours.

I'm concerned.

Other than that, we love the vehicle.

I would appreciate all comments.
Thank you.

Please let me know.

This has always been a known issue not just on S-Class... The reed valves are like rubber grommets that are located on certain areas on the Cowl (where the wiper arms are) and usually gets clogged by dirt and leaves.. So water usually enters through the climate control air duct on the right side of the vehicle said you were to remove that duct you'll see you blower assembly.. The reed valves mainly controls drainage of water that's comes down the cowl.. You could simple remove them and just have a free flow of water draining from the cowl...
Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 AM

2012 S550
Thank you.

What is the purpose of the reservoir, and when it overflows, how does the water enter the cabin interior.

In addition to the reed valve on the passenger side by the wiper, where else are they located.

To clean the valve, does the grille in the engine compartment snap on and off, or are there screws.

Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:08 PM

'01 S500 AMG Sport, ABC,Distronic,Rear Side Shades // '10 E350 P2, Pano, BLK/ALM,4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by powerplay13
Thank you.

What is the purpose of the reservoir, and when it overflows, how does the water enter the cabin interior.

In addition to the reed valve on the passenger side by the wiper, where else are they located.

To clean the valve, does the grille in the engine compartment snap on and off, or are there screws.

Thanks again.
There's one under the battery tray on the right side.. I can't remember exactly how the grill comes off but you could use a long flat-end screw driver to pop the grommet off and let it fall below... The water collector is there to control water flow but also has a reed valve at the bottom that gets clogged.. The water enters through the one under the battery, the blower motor/ duct system is located next to the battery.... You should see the climate control multifunction sensor there...
Old 04-11-2015, 12:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S430
I have an '06 C55 AMG in the shop because of intermittent starter problems. I used a trusted Benz repair shop who couldn't figure out the problem. They had to take it to the Mercedes dealership for them to figure it out. They did and said it was water intrusion, Repair cost estimate: $5,800. The shop I use, Hanz Wittler Automotive, told them no way and they would try to source the parts needed for the repair for me. What exactly are or where are "reed valves mentioned again on a C55 AMG?
Old 04-11-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Originally Posted by compressor
I have an '06 C55 AMG in the shop because of intermittent starter problems. I used a trusted Benz repair shop who couldn't figure out the problem. They had to take it to the Mercedes dealership for them to figure it out. They did and said it was water intrusion, Repair cost estimate: $5,800. etcetc
Hey mr Compressor perhaps more luck in the W203 forum?

Anyone familiar with this particular issue ?Sound like a good preventive maintenance item !
Sorry to un hi-jack this W221 thread ..

and good luck to you mr Compressor hope you can get it fixed much cheaper,it sounds like a ridiculous price.. perhaps its just a starter- or and grounding-issue ?