S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Suspension issue or Something else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
s550
Suspension issue or Something else?

At speeds over 40mph, rear end would scarily "wobble"/fishtail/jerk to the side if i wasn't hitting a bump with both rear wheels at same time. Found a oil leak at the bottom of the driver rear side suspension. It never threw a light on the dash or slammed all the way to the ground like when other suspension suddenly blow. Anyways, got a replacement from Arnott, and all seemed fine.

A week later, I found that the wobble/jerking had come back but not as bad as before. I then noticed the passenger rear side was always visibly lower by an inch in the mornings after the has sat overnight. once car is started , all sides raise to even height but wobble/jerk still occurs at speeds above 40mph.
No clunks etc and upon inspection all other suspension parts are firm and tight. Also, no obvious oil leaks from this one as seen in driver rear side that as replaced.

Does the unevenness indicate a leak in the passenger rear side suspension?
Or is it normal for the suspension of the car to be somewhat uneven from wheel to wheel?
Is it normal for two suspensions to go out at relatively same time?
Could it be a recalibration issue? Air pump?
Old 09-28-2014, 07:59 PM

s550
somebody has to know a little something about something guys...help a brother with some insight.
worst case i just by a replacement suspension from Arnott for the other side but some knowledge sharing will be appreciated.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:35 AM

s550
still looking for some insight...if anyone has any.
funny thing is i raised the suspension to highest and turned car off. been sitting that way for the last 3 days without being started or moved and the suspension on every side has not gone down at all.
this is confusing cause i though the one inch discrepancy in the passenger side rear when on normal height indicated a leak.

am confused..

any hope is appreciated guys..
Old 10-02-2014, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
It's not normal for a corner to be lower. My best guess would be a very slow leak in the air chamber of the dropped corner. The air pump will run while the car is in operation and feed air to whichever strut(s) need it to keep the car level, so it will compensate for a slow leak although eventually it will burn itself out trying to keep up and you don't want that.

When the car is turned off, obviously the air pump is not running so the slow leak in that strut allows the residual air in the chamber to bleed out over time. The other struts still have their air chamber integrity so they stay put when the car is off.

I'd hurry and replace that strut before it cooks the pump.