S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

High mileage early S550?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Mike5215
I wasn't saying Mercedes succeeded in replicating an S Class driving experience in the new C, but it does seem that's what they were going for. Or at least to give prospective buyers the impression that's what they were going for.

Most of MB US sales are at the C Class level, and those buyers don't cross shop the S and the C, or the S and the E. It helps C Class sales to suggest that the car has the S DNA in a smaller, more economical package.

The prior gen C couldn't be mistaken for an S at any distance, but the new C is clearly an S Mini-Me in form if not function. It's a way to let an entry level buyer feel good despite being at (or near I guess with the A) the bottom rung. I guarantee sales guys at MB dealers everywhere are using the phrase "Mercedes calls it "The Baby S Class"!"

But yeah, to those of us who've driven an S, obviously it's still a C.
Oh, Ok, I now understand what you were saying, yeah I would have to agree that MB seems to be going down the path of BMW-ing their sedan product lines, and making them look too similar. I liked the distinctions between the W204, W212, and W221. And hey I have had all of them! Performed some retrofits on the W204 (Factory NAV, folding rear seats) and the W212 (folding rear seats). All were fun to drive, but the S is the best by far as because of its size, it makes me think way ahead when I am driving.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Yeah and the C class seems so small now, after being in an E and an S