S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Torque Converter Issues!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63 AMG
Torque Converter Issues!!

Hello Everyone, this is my first post as a new member of your group. I recently bought a 2012 S550 with 42,000 and some issues, thank god she is CPO'd. I have only owned her for less than a year and already have MY second torque converter put in (this will be the third in the life of the car!) Is there something wrong with this transmission or the TC?? I know that year they switched motors which added another 100lbs of torque BUT I'm not burning rubber or hot rodding, I'm in an S-Class so it's slow and steady until I get on the expressway. I have warranty until November of 2016 BUT I think I'm gonna trade her in early, does anyone else agree with my future trade?? Thank you for your time everyone.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by Sclass4Life
Hello Everyone, this is my first post as a new member of your group. I recently bought a 2012 S550 with 42,000 and some issues, thank god she is CPO'd. I have only owned her for less than a year and already have MY second torque converter put in (this will be the third in the life of the car!) Is there something wrong with this transmission or the TC?? I know that year they switched motors which added another 100lbs of torque BUT I'm not burning rubber or hot rodding, I'm in an S-Class so it's slow and steady until I get on the expressway. I have warranty until November of 2016 BUT I think I'm gonna trade her in early, does anyone else agree with my future trade?? Thank you for your time everyone.
Welcome. What are the symptoms or issues that result in these TC replacements? What is the dealer's explanation as to the need for re-replacement(s)?

Definitely good that it is CPO'd. If you haven't, you also can buy two more years of warranty directly from Benz. There is a dealer source found on this Forum that sells the warranty at a significantly reduced price. This is in case you rather keep than trade.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63 AMG
Symptoms

While at cruising speed on the highway, 70-85 mph, when you slightly depress the accelerator to make a lane change for instance the car bucks. Or maybe surges/pulses those could be better words to describe the action. So in order to stop the pulsing you have to STOMP on the gas and off she goes! The dealer said they need to change the impeller shaft and TC, problem is they already did this 6 months ago (replaced the same two parts.) however on this second time around when I would brake she downshifted pretty damn hard but this didn't happen all the time. Hope that explanation helps, thank you for your two cents.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:56 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
check engine and tranny mounts

check rubber cakes in driveshaft

check rear suspension bushings
Old 03-23-2015, 10:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Attached may be something related to your issue. Credit goes to konigstiger.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LI27.10-P-057361_Ver_1.pdf (35.6 KB, 691 views)