S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2013 W221 or 2014+ W212

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
E350
Thanks Wil. I'm waiting on a few reports to come back on 4 non-CPO cars. I got some clarification on the CPO warranty today as I was previously misinformed. The CPO warranty only covers you for 12 months after the factory warranty ends, I was told that it was 2 years, which is incorrect. Even though the CPO has unlimited mileage, the ELW can only be added to vehicles that are still under factory warranty. Here's the kicker, some 2012 models could have been sold in between 2011-2013 which changes the in service date and warranty period. Same for 2013's, I was looking at the actual year in the beginning of my search. Now I have to research each vehicle to identify which vehicles are still under factory warranty and are eligible for ELW.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 482 Likes on 368 Posts
2015 S550
You can purchase an extra 2 years in CPO coverage with unlimited miles for around $4k IIRC.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.
Promatic, it's great that you're doing your homework. That information you received is very true. Just that yes the ELW can only be added during the factory warranty period but for cpo vehicles this includes that 5th year.

Last edited by wilassasin; 08-10-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:03 AM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
2013 S550, 2009 E320, 2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by DaveW68
You can purchase an extra 2 years in CPO coverage with unlimited miles for around $4k IIRC.
You can get it less than $4,000 from some forum members. Talk to Jason Mayes, he's quick to respond and a great price!!
Old 08-11-2015, 03:04 PM

E350
Dpayne, I'm familiar with Mr. Mayes, I purchased m current ELW through him and yes he is GREAT! I think that some of the confusion comes into play when people mention CPO warranty and ELW. To my limited knowledge and understanding, you can not but a CPO warranty but you can add ELW to a CPO and non CPO vehicle provided that it meets the requirements. You can however find a dealer that may perform a CPO inspection and certify the vehicle (for a fee of course) but the CPO warranty is ONLY for 12 months. I am not aware of a 24 month CPO, perhaps if you were lucky enough to inherit a ELW on a CPO purchase. I highly doubt that as warranties need to be transferred at the time of ownership transfer. Feel free to correct or enlighten me if the information that I have provided is inaccurate.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by PROmatic
Dpayne, I'm familiar with Mr. Mayes, I purchased m current ELW through him and yes he is GREAT! I think that some of the confusion comes into play when people mention CPO warranty and ELW. To my limited knowledge and understanding, you can not but a CPO warranty but you can add ELW to a CPO and non CPO vehicle provided that it meets the requirements. You can however find a dealer that may perform a CPO inspection and certify the vehicle (for a fee of course) but the CPO warranty is ONLY for 12 months. I am not aware of a 24 month CPO, perhaps if you were lucky enough to inherit a ELW on a CPO purchase. I highly doubt that as warranties need to be transferred at the time of ownership transfer. Feel free to correct or enlighten me if the information that I have provided is inaccurate.
I'm really confused now. What is the difference between a CPO warranty Vs ELW....... I thought they were the exact same.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:21 PM

Clarification:

CPO "Certified Pre-Owned" adds 12months additional limited warranty or "ELW" extended limited warranty (same thing) once the original warranty expires. What Dave is saying is that you can purchase two more additional years of extended limited warranty "ELW" onto your CPO car prior to the 5th year of warranty expiring, which would equal a total of 7 years warranty. MB only offers 7 years warranty. This warranty includes unlimited mileage.

NON-CPO cars the warranty or rather "ELW" is a bit cheaper because you don't get unlimited miles you can select warranty packages. With non-CPO cars you can add up to 3yrs warranty but this must be done prior to reaching 4yrs or 50k miles. So this 3 additional plus the 4 original still equals 7 years of warranty. Also as Promatic stated All non-CPO cars under 4yrs or 50k miles don't exactly qualify for a MB ELW because MB is very strict with their warranty programs. Maybe this includes cars purchased from auctions or used car lots, idk but because of this I would recommend purchasing from a dealer to avoid this issue.

Last edited by wilassasin; 08-11-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by wilassasin
Clarification:

CPO "Certified Pre-Owned" adds 12months additional limited warranty or "ELW" extended limited warranty (same thing) once the original warranty expires. What Dave is saying is that you can purchase two more additional years of extended limited warranty "ELW" onto your CPO car prior to the 5th year of warranty expiring, which would equal a total of 7 years warranty. MB only offers 7 years warranty. This warranty includes unlimited mileage.

NON-CPO cars the warranty or rather "ELW" is a bit cheaper because you don't get unlimited miles you can select warranty packages. With non-CPO cars you can add up to 3yrs warranty but this must be done prior to reaching 4yrs or 50k miles. So this 3 additional plus the 4 original still equals 7 years of warranty. Also as Promatic stated All non-CPO cars under 4yrs or 50k miles don't exactly qualify for a MB ELW because MB is very strict with their warranty programs. Maybe this includes cars purchased from auctions or used car lots, idk but because of this I would recommend purchasing from a dealer to avoid this issue.
Understood. Thanks for explaining!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Right. Assuming a car that is being offered as CPO with little or no original factory warranty remaining, the CPO warranty adds 12 months of coverage from the purchase date. It's not quite as comprehensive as the original bumper to bumper in that stuff like loose trim, discolored wood, etc aren't covered.

(If you can calm yourself down enough while you're buying the car to look past how beautiful it is and really give it a close inspection in and out, the dealer will likely fix whatever you find, but once it rolls off the lot, it's your problem. My 2010 CPO was on a lift for 4 hours after the test drive and before I took delivery for little stuff I caught.)

You can then add either 12 more months or 24 more months of CPO coverage, for around $2500 or $4500 respectively. That can be added anytime in those first 12 months of the original CPO, or all at once. If you're taking advantage of CPO 1.9 % or low APR financing just fold the whole thing into the purchase and be done with it.

Bear in mind you'll pay at least $2k more for a CPO car (the cost MB charges the dealer for the certification) and often more if the dealer had to put money into it...tires, brakes etc).

It is nice though owning the car for three years and never sweating a major repair. Personally I always plan to unload the car when the CPO expires.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mike5215
Right. Assuming a car that is being offered as CPO with little or no original factory warranty remaining, the CPO warranty adds 12 months of coverage from the purchase date. It's not quite as comprehensive as the original bumper to bumper in that stuff like loose trim, discolored wood, etc aren't covered.

(If you can calm yourself down enough while you're buying the car to look past how beautiful it is and really give it a close inspection in and out, the dealer will likely fix whatever you find, but once it rolls off the lot, it's your problem. My 2010 CPO was on a lift for 4 hours after the test drive and before I took delivery for little stuff I caught.)

You can then add either 12 more months or 24 more months of CPO coverage, for around $2500 or $4500 respectively. That can be added anytime in those first 12 months of the original CPO, or all at once. If you're taking advantage of CPO 1.9 % or low APR financing just fold the whole thing into the purchase and be done with it.

Bear in mind you'll pay at least $2k more for a CPO car (the cost MB charges the dealer for the certification) and often more if the dealer had to put money into it...tires, brakes etc).

It is nice though owning the car for three years and never sweating a major repair. Personally I always plan to unload the car when the CPO expires.
I bought mine 3 weeks ago and it's a CPO. It's back at dealership now getting door repainted after I found 3 really bad keys scratches on door. They tried to buff them out and use touch up paint but it looked like ****. It's diamond white. I didn't notice until I got car back home but i have a good relationship with dealer so they are doing the right thing.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by dpayne7571
I bought mine 3 weeks ago and it's a CPO. It's back at dealership now getting door repainted after I found 3 really bad keys scratches on door. They tried to buff them out and use touch up paint but it looked like ****. It's diamond white. I didn't notice until I got car back home but i have a good relationship with dealer so they are doing the right thing.
Hard to spot-paint a three stage finish. I'm guessing they reshot and re cleared the door.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:42 AM

E350
Hopefully they blended the panels and door next to the door that they paint...My wife had a diamond white (pearl or whatever you would like to call it ) Lexus IS a few years ago and 1 dent about the size of quarter led to entire repaint. I find that if pearl isn't sprayed all at once, the difference in pearl saturation in noticeably different. I'm trying to stay away from anything metallic at this point. Factory tri-coat paint is TOUGH to match as far as consistency and saturation unless you're getting a show quality aftermarket finish.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:54 AM

I HIGHLY recommend Paintless dent removal for small to mid size dents / dimples in your doors, etc before repainting whole doors for quarter sized dents/dings.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by PROmatic
Hopefully they blended the panels and door next to the door that they paint...My wife had a diamond white (pearl or whatever you would like to call it ) Lexus IS a few years ago and 1 dent about the size of quarter led to entire repaint. I find that if pearl isn't sprayed all at once, the difference in pearl saturation in noticeably different. I'm trying to stay away from anything metallic at this point. Factory tri-coat paint is TOUGH to match as far as consistency and saturation unless you're getting a show quality aftermarket finish.
A good shop will blend panels. If they are trying to save money, or when you are going through insurance, they don't blend usually.

Originally Posted by wilassasin
I HIGHLY recommend Paintless dent removal for small to mid size dents / dimples in your doors, etc before repainting whole doors for quarter sized dents/dings.
I've always thought about buying a kit and learning how to do that myself for fun. I'm good with my hands.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
It's the flop (color shift in the pearl coat depending on viewing angle) that's a ***** to get right. A Mercedes certified independent shop or the dealership's body shop should be able to handle it.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mike5215
It's the flop (color shift in the pearl coat depending on viewing angle) that's a ***** to get right. A Mercedes certified independent shop or the dealership's body shop should be able to handle it.
Car came back looking like new!! Panels matched too. Very impressed as I was nervous if they could pull it off.