S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

08 S550 4matic radio not working, no sound but NAV works

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes Benz S550
Originally Posted by alexander nunez
Hello my name is Alexander I work with this units, what exactly is the problem you have?
Hello Alexander,

My issue is, someone stole my amplifier in the truck while the vehicle was getting painted.

I bought another on $800 buck.

I hooked up , doesn't work, I tested the voltage, I noticed I only got constant and ground, no ignition. I believe ignition supposed to trigger the amplifier.

I checked all fuses I could find through internet.

Pls do you have the wiring diagram for the amplifier for s550 08. I will appreciate. I only want to know the ignition wire that goes to the amplifier.

Thank you.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by azontodance
Hello Alexander,

My issue is, someone stole my amplifier in the truck while the vehicle was getting painted.

I bought another on $800 buck.

I hooked up , doesn't work, I tested the voltage, I noticed I only got constant and ground, no ignition. I believe ignition supposed to trigger the amplifier.

I checked all fuses I could find through internet.

Pls do you have the wiring diagram for the amplifier for s550 08. I will appreciate. I only want to know the ignition wire that goes to the amplifier.

Thank you.
Hello azontodance,
I can get it but do you have 12 volt coming in? If you got the voltage this amp should be working if the amp is good. When you power up the radio what can you see? No station? No volume? Blank display? If you unplug the connector from the radio,is the optic cable blinking?
Old 05-15-2019, 06:31 AM

S550
Originally Posted by Levi Roldan
hello mike my name is Levi i have 07 S550 w221 with most /audio problems is base model so i have only sat radio and tuner(amp) in the trunk. i have xentry/das scan tool with code for most gateway report open loop unknown position d100 i also have a by pass loop tried in all possible modules with no success no sound nav works cd changer loads and reads cds but no radio station numbers are display and obviously no sound, is it possible for the comand to go bad even tho still it appears to be fully functional i could see light on the fiber optics only when i reset the ring with scanner. any help would be much appreciated.
Hello my name is Alexander I do some work in amp and head units. Did you fix the problem?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:08 AM

S550
Old 05-16-2019, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
Check

Originally Posted by azontodance
Hello Then043, how are you? please did you ever get this issue resolved? I'm having the same issue. My amp won't even have ignition trigger power..
I had the same problem it was the amp but I would take it 2 the dealer just to make sure because it could be a lot of different things The radio runs on a close circuit so if one of the chains doesn’t work nothing works You can get the amp fixed for $300 on eBay but you need to send it to Florida
Old 05-16-2019, 10:15 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Benzton
I had the same problem it was the amp but I would take it 2 the dealer just to make sure because it could be a lot of different things The radio runs on a close circuit so if one of the chains doesn’t work nothing works You can get the amp fixed for $300 on eBay but you need to send it to Florida
Hello I can do the repair I being working in this type of units for years. If something I can help let me know.
The following users liked this post:
LanceA (01-12-2020)
Old 05-21-2019, 11:40 AM

S550
Thanks

Thanks for answering the post but I all ready fix the problem
Old 05-21-2019, 12:16 PM

S550
Ok no problem.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 s550 4 matic
What was the problem with your radio cutting on and off.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:07 AM

S550 4matic
I need help

Hello you have problem with the amp, most of this amp go bad some transistors but most the commons problem are the PCB controller,is the one that control all the analog and digital signals.

I am having the same issue as well. I also thought it was a batt, a ground, or possible thermo overload sw as well. I took it to the dealer as well and they told me the audio gateway is no good. I get the correct amp for the car thru eBay. Remove the old and install the new. The new amp worked for two weeks before it did the same thing which was cut off. Took the new amp out and put in the old amp back in and it worked for almost 3 weeks before it cut back out again. Any advice on what I should do now
Old 07-10-2019, 09:16 AM

S550 4matic
I need help

Is there anyway we can report this to MBUSA to fix this glitch as a recall because I find it disturbing to be driving a 60+k$ car with no radio and here comes a Datsun with a system louder than mine
Old 07-10-2019, 10:51 AM

S550
Originally Posted by henrydarryl52
Is there anyway we can report this to MBUSA to fix this glitch as a recall because I find it disturbing to be driving a 60+k$ car with no radio and here comes a Datsun with a system louder than mine
Hello Henry,
Before the amp goes out,did that happen when you was listening the music or just when you turn the car on? I know most of the amps in eBay they have problems. If the amp when out when you was listening to music is possible you may have one of the speakers bad if not the amp when bad due the short in the regulator IC when the car turn on. Just let me know. If you what I can check your amp and if can be fix I'll let you know.
Regards.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:49 PM

S550 4matic
Hello Henry,
Before the amp goes out,did that happen when you was listening the music or just when you turn the car on? I know most of the amps in eBay they have problems. If the amp when out when you was listening to music is possible you may have one of the speakers bad if not the amp when bad due the short in the regulator IC when the car turn on. Just let me know. If you what I can check your amp and if can be fix I'll let you know.
Regards.
It happens while I’m listening to it. So now what I do is I take the amp out of the car for a few days and put it back in and it works for a few days then you hear a pop and it goes out for a min and then comes back and then a pop sound and it goes out for a while and come back and then a final pop sound and it’s done

Last edited by henrydarryl52; 07-10-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:58 PM

S550 4matic
It happens while I’m listening to it. So now what I do is I take the amp out of the car for a few days and put it back in and it works for a few days then you hear a pop and it goes out for a min and then comes back and then a pop sound and it goes out for a while and come back and then a final pop sound and it’s done
At one point i did think it may be a speaker because I do turn the volume up. But I did try with the volume low and it still cut off
Old 07-10-2019, 06:12 PM

S550
At one point i did think it may be a speaker because I do turn the volume up. But I did try with the volume low and it still cut off
Have you ever update it both units? I know some unit not being updated can cause issue too. But I suggest that check the speakers even when the vol down if you got one defective can affect that too.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:29 PM

S550 4matic
Have you ever update it both units? I know some unit not being updated can cause issue too. But I suggest that check the speakers even when the vol down if you got one defective can affect that too.
yes. When I took it to the dealership for them to look at it, they did do their latest system update on it and it still cuts out
Old 07-10-2019, 06:55 PM

S550
yes. When I took it to the dealership for them to look at it, they did do their latest system update on it and it still cuts out
When you said the sound cut off,you mean the amp won't turn on or the sound is cutting in/out? Because if is that the amp turn off and need to wait a couple of hours or days the PCB controller may have problem with the main board and when get hot cause the problem.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:37 AM

S550 4matic
When you said the sound cut off,you mean the amp won't turn on or the sound is cutting in/out? Because if is that the amp turn off and need to wait a couple of hours or days the PCB controller may have problem with the main board and when get hot cause the problem.
Cut out meaning the amp won’t turn on. Do you repair these amps. If so can I get your contact info. Because that makes more sense to me. PCB meaning Power Control Board
Old 07-11-2019, 10:15 AM

S550
Cut out meaning the amp won’t turn on. Do you repair these amps. If so can I get your contact info. Because that makes more sense to me. PCB meaning Power Control Board
Yes

Last edited by alexander nunez; 03-20-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:13 PM

2009 CL550
Cut out and back day later

Have a 2009 CL550 4Matic: sound drop but nav works. Screen displays "device unavail" for radio/ CD and all other Audio device. There was no pop or loud noise before dropped audio. Day later came back like no prob when started car. Today dropped out and then screen displayed that it was recognizing my phone (BT puck in console) and then failed again. Any input is appreciated. I don't think it is a fuse (#77) as if came back and then out again. Have bought fiber optic loop to test components in trunk (waiting for arrival). Might be amp getting ready to go. Will have to take for diagnostic (clear codes ?)
Old 11-16-2019, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 762 Likes on 645 Posts
S500
I think many of you need to see the world differently
it goes wrong because is was very careful designed to do so - it suits the business model they can get away with in the sick world we've all contributed to....
Old 01-01-2020, 05:02 PM

2007 s550
Help

Originally Posted by Then043
I have a question. My radio stopped working a few days ago. No sound from CD changer, no stations showing on screen, no voice command on steering wheel, or navigation but the navigation maps is working fine.. just no sound. I was told that the CD changer (w221) is bad and needs to be replaced because it's the controller of everything. Wouldn't my Nav not work if this is the case? Also, the changer is lit up and when I push any button on the changer, I can hear it going thru the commands as if it's trying to play, so I'm questioning if this the the problem. I'd like to know before I spend $1500 to replace something that isn't the problem. Thanks
so did you even get it to work again & what did you do
Old 01-01-2020, 06:14 PM

S550
S550 radio not working

I have a 2013 s550 with similar problem it was the amp check all the fuses first theirs like 7-10 fuses in the fiber optic system Hold the eject button for 10 seconds to reset the head unit try that $300 for amp rebuild it works better than before
Old 01-01-2020, 06:31 PM

S550
Becker Autosound is you place better.

Last edited by alexander nunez; 03-20-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2011 S550 4Matic
My car exhibits the same exact symptoms (no audio, devices unavailable, can't see any radio stations, etc.) however it usually starts working again after a few days. It definitely seems to be moisture related, however I've taken the amp apart and there is no sign of moisture damage anywhere. I've inspected the interior compartment that the amp sits in and couldn't find any sign of moisture anywhere. I believe it's moisture related because it fails after there's been rain or snow sitting on the car.

Does anyone have a list or diagram of the MOST ring on a W221 (2011 S550) that would help me troubleshoot other modules on the loop? I have a MOST bypass adapter that I would like to try.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 08 S550 4matic radio not working, no sound but NAV works