S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

07 S550 - two month wait, or longer, for Front Air Strut?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 S550 - two month wait, or longer, for Front Air Strut?

My '07 S550 had an issue with the front air strut a couple of years ago and I had it replaced at a dealer. The strut acted up again and the dealer says they'll have to replace it again (under the repair warranty).

The problem is that the part has been on back-order for two months now and I can't drive the car in this condition. I've never heard of a huge multi-billion dollar company to not be able to produce a part for this long.

Worse yet, they gave me a '14 GLK as a loaner. I didn't care about it at first thinking it's only going to be 2-3 weeks max, but I've been driving this GLK for two months now while letting my S550 depreciate at the dealership.

How can this air strut be on back-order for so long? What are my options here with the dealer? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by nanotech; 12-16-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
I'm in the same boat, although last I heard the replacement strut was a couple of weeks out of Germany. Meanwhile, I'm having a blast with the little C300 loaner and keeping the miles off my S. You should see if you can swap into a nicer loaner. If it's really dragging on, trade the S where it sits and get something else.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:58 AM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
I'd tell them that you want a comparable car to yours, if you're going to be driving a loaner while making payments on an S class. They should give you a loaner S550

Don't let them make the excuse that they don't have a loaner S. Every car on the lot can be easily turned into a loaner if they want to.

Remind them that Arnott Air can get you a rebuilt strut on your doorstep by tomorrow AM for 1/4 the price of what MB sells them for. And remind them that their "non-rebuildable" strut is apparently rebuildable because Arnott bases their entire business on rebuilding these struts.. and provides a lifetime warranty.

A little embarrassment goes a long way when you are making payments on an S and stuck driving a C

Give it a shot.. worth the 2 mins long conversation at least.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mike5215
I'm in the same boat, although last I heard the replacement strut was a couple of weeks out of Germany. Meanwhile, I'm having a blast with the little C300 loaner and keeping the miles off my S. You should see if you can swap into a nicer loaner. If it's really dragging on, trade the S where it sits and get something else.
Hi Mike, so you are you saying that you also had to wait for a very long time and now they're telling you it's only a couple of weeks out? So you think you'll have your car back for Christmas?

I'm sorry you're in this as well, but now at least I know I'm not the only one. Which region of the US are you in? I'm in the Southeast.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by bha
I'd tell them that you want a comparable car to yours, if you're going to be driving a loaner while making payments on an S class. They should give you a loaner S550

Don't let them make the excuse that they don't have a loaner S. Every car on the lot can be easily turned into a loaner if they want to.

Remind them that Arnott Air can get you a rebuilt strut on your doorstep by tomorrow AM for 1/4 the price of what MB sells them for. And remind them that their "non-rebuildable" strut is apparently rebuildable because Arnott bases their entire business on rebuilding these struts.. and provides a lifetime warranty.

A little embarrassment goes a long way when you are making payments on an S and stuck driving a C

Give it a shot.. worth the 2 mins long conversation at least.
I already called corporate about it. First I complained about the two month wait and then I told them that I shouldn't have to drive a GLK when they have my S! I've been going to all holiday parties, evening events in this, ever since mid-October!

My brother had issues with his '10 E coupe and after he called corporate they got the dealer (a different one in a different state) to him a brand new C-class as a loaner. It was so new the price tag was on it and they had to "unwrap" the car...he really liked it too.

I'll keep you guys updated on this. Maybe I should've gone with the Arnott Strut after all. I even found a video on Youtube showing how to install it. Should've had my local trusted mechanic do this.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by nanotech
Hi Mike, so you are you saying that you also had to wait for a very long time and now they're telling you it's only a couple of weeks out? So you think you'll have your car back for Christmas?

I'm sorry you're in this as well, but now at least I know I'm not the only one. Which region of the US are you in? I'm in the Southeast.
Southeast as well, although I think it's national. Last week 12/10 my service guy said it was scheduled to leave Germany in 7-10 days.

Last edited by Mike5215; 12-17-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:21 PM

At least they're communicating well with you. Mine won't ever even call me, I have to call them.

And new C-Class > than '14 GLK.

That being said, I just got a call saying that the strut is in and I can pick up my car this weekend! So I think it's basically in-line with what your dealer is telling you, 7-10 days from 12/10 is today.

But still, this has been a great effort and I didn't expect this from MB. I've had much better service at both Lexus and BMW, and I even had cheaper cars with them! They should realize that an '07 S550 owner is likely to be ready to buy another S-class soon so they should try to make sure they're the dealer I buy from.

Oh well, I appreciate your input! Hope you get your S back soon too!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
We'll see. I'm guessing they're filling the longest back orders first. He'll text me when it's in.