S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

A Sad Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Peridot Brown/Tan S550 4MATIC
A Sad Day

Young kid rear ended me.

Check out the pictures in my album.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
The five pics in your album are from July. And I must say that your car looks terrific!
Old 12-22-2015, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Sorry to hear about that. Couldn't see the pictures though from my phone.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:54 PM

why can't I upload the pictures into the post.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:54 PM

They are all going to my gallery.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 624 Likes on 471 Posts
W212 FL
Sorry to hear that ,you're OK which is more important
Old 12-22-2015, 01:10 PM

I know, but I know you feel my pain... I'm also concerned now about the value of the car. This is the first accident it has been in and it only has 33K, as a 2011.. who would want this car with front and rear damage...

Also I must be doing something wrong, I can't insert in pictures in this trend.... all the accident photos go to my album.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 624 Likes on 471 Posts
W212 FL
Here's a video tutorial as to how to upload the images

Old 12-22-2015, 04:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Mercedes-Benz 2007 S550, 2012 S550 4-Matic, 2015 GL450
Sorry to hear about that. It sucks because you spend time and money to keep it looking pristine and some douche bag comes along to ruin it for you.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
I just saw your pics. I don't think it's as bad as you think as it appears that there wasn't any unibody frame damage. A good shop should be able to get that looking and driving as good as new.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:33 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
I see $20k damages there... Just off the top of my head.

Problem is that getting diminished value claim is like getting water out of a stone. And unfortunately you are looking at 1/3 reduction of value.

Crashing sucks
Old 12-22-2015, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 128 Posts
Depends on the weather
That sucks man...at least your're ok...but yeah, I'd be pissed too and not want the car any more. Too bad there was no front frame damage or they would have likely totaled it.

Right at the welcome to Manassas...I was just there over the weekend.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Well there is no frame, it's a unibody car, and damaged structural pieces can be pulled on a rack or the damaged components can be cut out and new ones sectioned in. Totaling is just a question of repair vs replace.

Theoretically a car can be repaired if the damages are 100% of the value. Most carriers don't do that, but there is no "80%" rule in most states.

The formula for repair vs replace is:

Initial estimate.
Add 10% for likely supplements.

Determine based on labor hours how many shop days the car needs, based on a 4 hour shop day,

Multiply shop days by per day rental car expense.

Total everything up.

Determine Nada dealer retail for the car in clean condition. Deduct for pre existing damage or excessive reconditioning.

Deduct the value of the salvage. If you have a flat rate deal with a national salvage company, apply that percentage and reduce the value of the car to total it accordingly. (This does not affect what you pay the owner for the car, it's just an offset in the claim expense.)

Compare the cost to repair against the cost to total. If the total loss net expense is within 20% of the projected repair cost, the car is considered a constructive total loss.

Sometimes the owner is upside down in the financing, so totaling the car leaves him without as much in funds to replace it, and their preference is a repair. As long as the repair cost does not exceed the cost to total, you can do a contract repair for the initial estimate ( no supplement contingency and a flat amount of rental or loss of use compensation). Both the owner and the shop have to contractually agree to the repair amount, and if they go over its not the carriers problem.

For the OP, the 3rd party diminution of value claim depends on the state in which he lives. Some don't allow for it.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:45 AM

Thanks everyone, I know that being ok from the crash is the most important thing, but I feel the loss of my ride as well. I have an attorney who will be looking into the diminished value claim after ever thing is done. @WHPH28 that's kind of how I feel about the car, what if is just doesn't feel and ride the same....

The one great thing that I did have when I purchased the car was value. I purchased for under the value price and felt I was ahead of the game. I also planned to keep the car for at least 5 plus years. It only has 33K for 2011....
Old 12-23-2015, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by WHPH28
That sucks man...at least your're ok...but yeah, I'd be pissed too and not want the car any more. Too bad there was no front frame damage or they would have likely totaled it.

Right at the welcome to Manassas...I was just there over the weekend.
It has front and rear end damage.... check out my pics in jt adams album gallery....
Old 12-23-2015, 06:04 PM

2009 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Jt Adams
Thanks everyone, I know that being ok from the crash is the most important thing, but I feel the loss of my ride as well. I have an attorney who will be looking into the diminished value claim after ever thing is done. @WHPH28 that's kind of how I feel about the car, what if is just doesn't feel and ride the same....

The one great thing that I did have when I purchased the car was value. I purchased for under the value price and felt I was ahead of the game. I also planned to keep the car for at least 5 plus years. It only has 33K for 2011....
I feel your pain....literally. I got rear ended on October 23 by a woman who was texting while driving. Only had mine 6 weeks and was still in "searching for distant parking spot phase" to avoid door dings.

My car is still in the shop for some mechanical work and this makes a total of 60 days without it. Bill is at about $20k to date on mine and at fault woman's insurance is paying. Body work looks good so far, but have some remaining mechanical issues, even though dealer gave OK after supposedly doing "complete scan and check over". Back it went and I am still waiting.

Got a trade in quote from dealer while I was there and they said due to accident, it is now worth only about 65% of normal NADA dealer trade in.

I purchased 2 additional CPO years on this car, so I would be taking about a $16K hit for 6 weeks of ownership if I dumped it now. I started a Inherent Diminished Value claim with her insurance company yesterday. I cannot afford to not fight for reasonable DV compensation.

I was in outside sales for years and have decided to treat the DV recovery process like trying to secure a new $16k contract from a difficult account. I will fight till the end and hope for the best. I have been stressed to illness over this and taking that approach makes me feel a bit better about moving on from my loss regardless what happens.

I wish you luck in the rebuild and feel free to contact me if you would like any details on my repair. I got hit in right rear and had bumper, quarter panel, muffler replaced. They had to take out rear glass to replace quarter panel. Muffler was on back order from MB and I had to call MB corporate because dealer said no available mufflers in the world and they were months out on backorder. WTF! I called MB and one showed up at shop next day. Some shops I initially contacted for the body work were not set up to work with the aluminum beneath rear bumper.

As I stated, body now looks good. Remaining issues are loss of radio reception, I think when glass was removed, trunk would not work (now fixed) and rear headrests are stuck in up position and will not retract. My keyless entry seems messed up too, as it is not as sensitive as before. Not sure if that may tie into antenna reception problems as well.

Hope it goes well!

Last edited by Dog Lover; 12-23-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
You'd get the majority of that CPO money back if you terminated the warranty now.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dog Lover
I feel your pain....literally. I got rear ended on October 23 by a woman who was texting while driving. Only had mine 6 weeks and was still in "searching for distant parking spot phase" to avoid door dings.

My car is still in the shop for some mechanical work and this makes a total of 60 days without it. Bill is at about $20k to date on mine and at fault woman's insurance is paying. Body work looks good so far, but have some remaining mechanical issues, even though dealer gave OK after supposedly doing "complete scan and check over". Back it went and I am still waiting.

Got a trade in quote from dealer while I was there and they said due to accident, it is now worth only about 65% of normal NADA dealer trade in.

I purchased 2 additional CPO years on this car, so I would be taking about a $16K hit for 6 weeks of ownership if I dumped it now. I started a Inherent Diminished Value claim with her insurance company yesterday. I cannot afford to not fight for reasonable DV compensation.

I was in outside sales for years and have decided to treat the DV recovery process like trying to secure a new $16k contract from a difficult account. I will fight till the end and hope for the best. I have been stressed to illness over this and taking that approach makes me feel a bit better about moving on from my loss regardless what happens.

I wish you luck in the rebuild and feel free to contact me if you would like any details on my repair. I got hit in right rear and had bumper, quarter panel, muffler replaced. They had to take out rear glass to replace quarter panel. Muffler was on back order from MB and I had to call MB corporate because dealer said no available mufflers in the world and they were months out on backorder. WTF! I called MB and one showed up at shop next day. Some shops I initially contacted for the body work were not set up to work with the aluminum beneath rear bumper.

As I stated, body now looks good. Remaining issues are loss of radio reception, I think when glass was removed, trunk would not work (now fixed) and rear headrests are stuck in up position and will not retract. My keyless entry seems messed up too, as it is not as sensitive as before. Not sure if that may tie into antenna reception problems as well.

Hope it goes well!
Thanks so much for the information. This is one I truly like about this site, the sharing of information..
Old 12-24-2015, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mike5215
Well there is no frame, it's a unibody car, and damaged structural pieces can be pulled on a rack or the damaged components can be cut out and new ones sectioned in. Totaling is just a question of repair vs replace.

Theoretically a car can be repaired if the damages are 100% of the value. Most carriers don't do that, but there is no "80%" rule in most states.

The formula for repair vs replace is:

Initial estimate.
Add 10% for likely supplements.

Determine based on labor hours how many shop days the car needs, based on a 4 hour shop day,

Multiply shop days by per day rental car expense.

Total everything up.

Determine Nada dealer retail for the car in clean condition. Deduct for pre existing damage or excessive reconditioning.

Deduct the value of the salvage. If you have a flat rate deal with a national salvage company, apply that percentage and reduce the value of the car to total it accordingly. (This does not affect what you pay the owner for the car, it's just an offset in the claim expense.)

Compare the cost to repair against the cost to total. If the total loss net expense is within 20% of the projected repair cost, the car is considered a constructive total loss.

Sometimes the owner is upside down in the financing, so totaling the car leaves him without as much in funds to replace it, and their preference is a repair. As long as the repair cost does not exceed the cost to total, you can do a contract repair for the initial estimate ( no supplement contingency and a flat amount of rental or loss of use compensation). Both the owner and the shop have to contractually agree to the repair amount, and if they go over its not the carriers problem.

For the OP, the 3rd party diminution of value claim depends on the state in which he lives. Some don't allow for it.

I have a question, it there a way to make a claim against the person who hit my car for the inconvenience of me being out the car and I'm still making payments?