S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Brakes are soft and lights are on!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes-Benz S-500
Question Brakes are soft and lights are on!

I just bought a 2000 s500 and I'm having an issue with my brakes, the previous owner said he pad slapped it and that he didn't bleed the brakes after he compressed the calipers. And so the brakes are soft but they will build pressure if I pump them a little but then loose pressure again. Could this be bad O-rings in the master cylnder or do I just need to bleed the brakes?? And the abs light, brake assist and esp light come on after I drive a while. The esp works when I first start the car but after I drive a few hundred feet they all shut off and the lights come on. Is this because of my brake problem? I know if I were to bleed my brakes that I should use a power bleeder but do I need to bleed my brakes or do I need new O-rings orrrr???
Old 12-27-2015, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Try bleeding the brakes first. That should get rid of the spongy pedal since you likely have air bubbles in the line. Then you can see if that resolves the other issues too.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes-Benz S-500
I was told that the ABS, ESP and BAS light can come on if I have a brake light switch out? A list of all the problems I have the following warning light on in my car right now:
Brake lining wear visit shop
ESP visit workshop
ABS visit workshop
BAS visit workshop
Airmatic visit workshop

I just bought this car and the things I know about it include:
Brakes were recently changed but they were not bled (not sure if that did anything).
The front right Airmatic shock was replaced.

Side note:
I did just get new brake wear sensors but haven't installed them, should I also get a new brake light switch, or should I have the car diagnosed by a shop first then fix the problem?

Last edited by Aaron Morris; 12-28-2015 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Incomplete post