S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Additional Wood Trim on S65 for S550?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 08:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 S550 4MATIC (W222), 2012 GLK350 (X204), 2008 CLK350 cabriolet (A209), 2011 E350 (W212)
Additional Wood Trim on S65 for S550?

Anyone ever had success ordering and installing the OEM wood trim found on S65 on an S550? I'm referring to the extended wood on the door armrest panel areas and the telephone keypad cover... Just curious and how difficult it would be. I imagine finding and buying the trim pieces will be easy online from a parts diagram but unsure of the installation complexity. Really isn't a necessity but happened to notice it on some pictures of an S65 and thought it would look nice on the door trim panels.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Mercedes S600
There's a place that makes the keypad cover in wood aftermarket and my understanding is it's not too hard to swap. The door trim panels might be a bit more difficult, the part that hinges up wouldn't be bad but the part in front of it (where the window switch mounts) might be part of the panel itself.

I'd personally go with the keypad cover to class up the inside a bit, I almost think the wood on the door panel is a bit much, but it's personal preference of course.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Don't waste your time and hard earned money on the additional door trim. It also comes on the S600, but honestly it's so subtle that I rarely ever notice it's even there. Perhaps it's because I have black interior, but there really isn't that much more wood.

If the trim cannot be sourced separately and comes as part of the door panel, you'll really want to scrap the idea. The door panels are all full leather and wouldn't match the dash and other areas of the car. Also, the rear door panels come with the rear seat controls and larger gaps for the rears sunscreens. If the door wood trim is a deal breaker for you, you'd end up saving money by selling your car and buying an S600 that comes with every factor option as standard equipment, plus many things that you cannot get on an S550, including the V12 bi-turbo motor.

This vendor sells the faux wood cover that just snaps over your existing cover.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...pad-cover.html
Old 06-19-2016, 02:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Mercedes S600
Originally Posted by DaveW68
Don't waste your time and hard earned money on the additional door trim. It also comes on the S600, but honestly it's so subtle that I rarely ever notice it's even there. Perhaps it's because I have black interior, but there really isn't that much more wood.

If the trim cannot be sourced separately and comes as part of the door panel, you'll really want to scrap the idea. The door panels are all full leather and wouldn't match the dash and other areas of the car. Also, the rear door panels come with the rear seat controls and larger gaps for the rears sunscreens. If the door wood trim is a deal breaker for you, you'd end up saving money by selling your car and buying an S600 that comes with every factor option as standard equipment, plus many things that you cannot get on an S550, including the V12 bi-turbo motor.

This vendor sells the faux wood cover that just snaps over your existing cover.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...pad-cover.html
The fact that I could not find a 550 with the options I wanted was the majority of the reason I went with the 600. Any of the a la carte options like distronic are so hard to find on used 550s. I'd prefer the 550's fuel econ, but a TT V12 definitely doesn't suck.

Also thanks for the link thats the one I was talking about.