S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dealer damaged car while in service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 476 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by survey1
So I acted like I wanted to trade it at a few dealers and didn't tell them about the paint work, they all found it. Every single dealer had notes "painted whole side" or similar.

Any yes, its been fixed a MB cert repair shop to a high standard.

So again to disprove everyone here who said there is no value loss.....you clearly have no idea what you are talking about but then again this isn't a legal board as I said in my opening post so I'm not surprised at the comments.
I'm sure you don't care, but I'm not buying any of this story.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Yeah, I feel like we're missing something. Could you post the appraisals (if they're PDF)?

Last edited by Mike5215; 07-24-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C207
Just another day in the W221 forum
Old 07-24-2016, 07:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'72 Fleedwoot
I've seen appalling work from many, many dealers over the years, particularly on partial paint resprays and touch-ups. I'm not sure where people get the idea that because work is done at a dealer it is to a particularly high standard or somehow very close to factory work. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the words "that will buff right out" were first spoken at dealer following a shocking paint job. These days many dealers send their more difficult paint work, where flaws might be obvious (think mid-panel touchup on faded paint), to third party experts.

No reason you should accept poor work! The fact that they mangled your car in the first place suggests such a low level of competence that botched paint work should be of little surprise. Call them on it. Play tough. You can eventually get just about anything you want from a large dealer, but you really have to work on them sometimes.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
I totally agree with the Op, if your car was for sale by owner and I spotted the whole side was painted Id likely walk or definately cut the price. Same if you trade theres no way a dealer isnt taking $ off the price unless the car is close to worthless. Ive been into cars for years and dont need a paint meter to spot paint work and theres plenty others in the same boat. Hopefully you got something decent.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550

I believe that the OP has made up the majority of the story. Almost all of it is a figment of his imagination. I don't believe any of the part of the repairs being done to a high standard, then him taking the car to 3 dealers to "test them" on appraising his car for trade-in value and all of them knocking money off for noticeable paint work. His entire story is full of holes and makes no sense. The people that buy into his story are the same type of people that think Hillary Clinton is an honest person. The only thing he's doing is trying to scam the dealership out of some money due to a very minor incident that was easily fixable. If the dealership does pay him anything for "diminished value", I hope they tag his car so that CarFax and the other online record retailers can pick it up for when he tries to trade it in or sell it in the future.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

why is the story Bs? Seems pretty straightforward. They f'ed up his trim, tried to fix it prob not great, now the car has 2nd rate paint work. Its 100% worth less than it was.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
If this story doesn't look like it was completely made up, then you don't pay very close attention.

Originally Posted by 1bad540
why is the story Bs? Seems pretty straightforward. They f'ed up his trim, tried to fix it prob not great, now the car has 2nd rate paint work. Its 100% worth less than it was.
This was on 7-21. He said they did touch-up work on the passenger side that he couldn't see....and that no paint-work had been done to the driver's side yet.

They offered to repaint the doors, which meant blending in the entire drivers side from front to rear. They were able to touch-up the passenger side but not me be able to see where the repair had been done.
This was on the same day. How did he get the driver's side painted and appraised by 3 dealers on the same day?

After a lot of calling, I managed to get a hold of the dealership's parent ownership group and they agreed to let a 3rd party diminished value appraiser look at the car and then they (the owner) will cut me a check for that loss amount which I think it fair for both sides. This was after I let 3 dealers look at it and they all came back with 5-10% deductions and notes indicating paint and possible accident damage.....just as I suspected. This just re-affirmed my concern.
This was a couple of days later. Again, with the miracle paint job that happened in a couple of hours that was done to a "high standard", yet very noticeable to everyone else.

I'm sorry to say that I now have 3 diminished value appraisals from professionals that would fully disagree with your statement.
So I acted like I wanted to trade it at a few dealers and didn't tell them about the paint work, they all found it. Every single dealer had notes "painted whole side" or similar.

Any yes, its been fixed a MB cert repair shop to a high standard.

So again to disprove everyone here who said there is no value loss.....you clearly have no idea what you are talking about but then again this isn't a legal board as I said in my opening post so I'm not surprised at the comments.
The whole story is bullsh*t.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmm I wasnt dissecting the story bro.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by 1bad540
Hmm I wasnt dissecting the story bro.
I have pretty severe ADD and I was able to detect that his story was total bullsh*t by his 2nd post in the thread. His narrative is ridiculous as he changes the story on the same day.

I understand that the OP is **** retentive and upset that the dealer did some minor damage to his car when a somewhat easy fix was being done to his door trim. He could have just let the dealer have it fixed professionally. If he wasn't happy with the work, he could then point it out to the dealer and make sure that they had it repaired to a "high standard". But instead he went into some bullsh*t story about "diminished value" and taking it to multiple dealerships to test their vehicle appraisers while pretending to be interested in trading in his car.

At this point, he has zero credibility. If you still believe him, I have a bridge to sell you.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C207
Originally Posted by DaveW68
I have pretty severe ADD and I was able to detect that his story was total bullsh*t by his 2nd post in the thread. His narrative is ridiculous as he changes the story on the same day.

I understand that the OP is **** retentive and upset that the dealer did some minor damage to his car when a somewhat easy fix was being done to his door trim. He could have just let the dealer have it fixed professionally. If he wasn't happy with the work, he could then point it out to the dealer and make sure that they had it repaired to a "high standard". But instead he went into some bullsh*t story about "diminished value" and taking it to multiple dealerships to test their vehicle appraisers while pretending to be interested in trading in his car.

At this point, he has zero credibility. If you still believe him, I have a bridge to sell you.

You accept a salvaged titled S550?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by $100 GUY
You accept a salvaged titled S550?
I think that's where his story was heading next.