S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aux cable installation questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S320 W221
Aux cable installation questions

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a 2007 W221, but like many others I do not have an Aux input option.

I'd like one to stream music from my iPhone, but want to avoid any aftermarket Bluetooth kits so that my Bluetooth is left solely for hands-free phone calls.

After a bit of research I purchased the following from amazon, which is an NTG3 harness with a headphone jack and iPhone charger.

https://i.imgur.com/DqMY4vq.jpg

Has anybody ever fitted one of these before? It's come without any instructions at all!!!

My questions are:

1) once plugged into the rear of the CD unit, I presume this is not "plug and play". Will I have to take this to a dealer to switch on the AUX option in comand?

2) any ideas where the black and yellow wires go to to charge the iPhone?

I'm no electrician, but I kind of know how things work and have multimeters etc. any help at all would be greatly received!!!

Does anybody know the whereabouts of any online instructions for such a harness?

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2017, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Ukbloke
Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a 2007 W221, but like many others I do not have an Aux input option.

I'd like one to stream music from my iPhone, but want to avoid any aftermarket Bluetooth kits so that my Bluetooth is left solely for hands-free phone calls.

After a bit of research I purchased the following from amazon, which is an NTG3 harness with a headphone jack and iPhone charger.

https://i.imgur.com/DqMY4vq.jpg

Has anybody ever fitted one of these before? It's come without any instructions at all!!!

My questions are:

1) once plugged into the rear of the CD unit, I presume this is not "plug and play". Will I have to take this to a dealer to switch on the AUX option in comand?

2) any ideas where the black and yellow wires go to to charge the iPhone?

I'm no electrician, but I kind of know how things work and have multimeters etc. any help at all would be greatly received!!!

Does anybody know the whereabouts of any online instructions for such a harness?

Thanks!
That part is not going to work. There is actually a separate iPod interface that Benz used to sell in the past that is part of the original Ipod/Aux hookup kit. It also required an interface harness and iPod harness. The interface harness is by far the most difficult to source. If you do come across all of the required parts, be prepared to spend upwards of $1000 or more. And it would also require that the dealer turn on your aux on your COMAND.

There is a cheaper option, although still pricey. You can go through Midcity Engineering and purchase their video in motion kit, which I understand comes with needed parts to run the aux audio/video. If you're not adept with electronics, you'd want to let a local stereo shop do the install. You'd still need your local dealer to code on Aux.

http://www.midcityengineering.com/
The following users liked this post:
Ukbloke (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S320 W221
Many thanks for the reply - I really do appreciate it.

So was I diddled by this amazon advert, or did I read it wrong?

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-17-2017, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Ukbloke
Many thanks for the reply - I really do appreciate it.

So was I diddled by this amazon advert, or did I read it wrong?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Unfortunately you were "diddled". Fortunately the part was cheap and you weren't diddled out of too much money. I guess you could return it and be "diddled" out of nothing.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
There are a bunch of very similar sounding types of MB systems that are easily confused. The 221 I believe got the COMAND NTG3 system. Anything you find aftermarket needs to be compatible with that.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 S550
I had the same problem.

Why don't you get the PCMCIA card and copy all your music onto an SD card?
Fits in the slot above your ash tray.
I have 3000 + mp3 songs on mine that I listen to every day.
You can get them for $25 on ebay.