S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

S550 Valve Cover Reseal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 04:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 S550
Cool S550 Valve Cover Reseal

Well, never a dull moment...

Love this car but it is full of surprises. Bought some OEM plugs for this S550 as I am sure that the plugs were not changed and I started to notice a hop, skip and a jump occasionally.

Thought I would start my Saturday with a good old plug change to cross 1 more thing off the MBZ honey doo list. Pulled the first coil pack off and behold, an oil well! Almost couldn't see the plug it was so full of oil. As far as I know there isn't a gasket but only RTV sealant. Any recommendations on the best Goo to use? Anyone know how long this will take to do one side? Haven't looked at the other side yet, don't want to throw my toys out of my stroller yet. Anything else I am going to need before I get dirty?

From what I can see this is a major PIA!

Last edited by S430Sport; 08-05-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
'15 S550, '10 E350 P1/P2, '02 ML320
Originally Posted by S430Sport
Well, never a dull moment...

Love this car but it is full of surprises. Bought some OEM plugs for this S550 as I am sure that the plugs were not changed and I started to notice a hop, skip and a jump occasionally.

Thought I would start my Saturday with a good old plug change to cross 1 more thing off the MBZ honey doo list. Pulled the first coil pack off and behold, an oil well! Almost couldn't see the plug it was so full of oil. As far as I know there isn't a gasket but only RTV sealant. Any recommendations on the best Goo to use? Anyone know how long this will take to do one side? Haven't looked at the other side yet, don't want to throw my toys out of my stroller yet. Anything else I am going to need before I get dirty?

From what I can see this is a major PIA!
How did this go? Looks like I am in exactly the same boat, except I didn't notice the oil until I pulled out the plug ... maybe a tablespoon total in there.