S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Finally have the chance to own an s-class (from 10 years with BMW)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on a ban. lol
Finally have the chance to own an s-class (from 10 years with BMW)

I am 33 and on a UK driving ban till January 2018, and eyeing up an s-class. Ideally s500-600. Yea insurance will be interesting.

Now I am coming from only driving BMWs for nearly 10 years. I know what to except with them - they are good for the first 8-10 years generally and then the problems creep up (or not). I love my 330ci convertible self maintained at 200k miles, because its self maintained! And fairly easy to work on from the top.

The Mercedes anything quite frankly scares the crap out of me. I have heard of too many issues with s-class reliability even when they are brand spanking new.

But, how easy is it to DIY this car, seriously? I saw a s600 with 180k miles ex diplomat car for I cant remember how much but it was cheap (£12000?) Its probably still advertised right now. Am i mad going for that? (I like to take risks).

Is the s350D standard chauffeur car even worth looking at?

Got the chance to look at s-classes now because my income is about to increase, nicely. But still would like to continue to DIY as much as possible and avoid ridiculous garage charges from things I can't do myself. Fixing things is second nature to me, any advice appreciated!
Old 08-25-2017, 06:44 PM

on a ban. lol
I know I am new but jeeze. Thanks for the advice all !
Old 08-26-2017, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
The S Class is very well built and I have had zero problems with mine. I would not drive one without a warranty though. I have done the brakes and a battery change on mine. I would not attempt much more than that though. From a DIY perspective, parts are spendy but diagnostics can be tricky as well. What is a UK driving ban?
Old 08-26-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2007 Mercedes S550
I picked up a 07 S550 with 56k on it 6 months back. I have done all my own work so far. I knew it needed a new AC compressor when I bought it, winning noise. The Denso compressor and parts cost me 350. I paid a shop 125 for the charge. I have had to do a few other things to it and it doesn't seem to far off from other cars that I have worked on over the years. I am not a mechanic, but with the help of this forum and the internet I have been able to do all of the work so far. Now the electronics is another story and will need help with that if a problem arises. I do buy aftermarket parts sometimes just for the cost savings. I feel if the oem part failed with 56k then its not worth the extra cost to put it back on.
I purchased the car for just 11,250 and the S550 is an awesome car. I could of gone the safe route and bought a Toyota Corolla or a Camry for the same money. The difference between driving in a S550 verse a Toyota is a Huge upgrade in my book....
Do a bunch of reading on this forum and others. There is a lot of information out on the web. Most of the topics, issues, repairs have been discussed and researched already.
I had to include a pic of my ride.
Attached Thumbnails Finally have the chance to own an s-class (from 10 years with BMW)-mer2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Mister G (09-25-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Finer6527
I picked up a 07 S550 with 56k on it 6 months back. I have done all my own work so far. I knew it needed a new AC compressor when I bought it, winning noise. The Denso compressor and parts cost me 350. I paid a shop 125 for the charge. I have had to do a few other things to it and it doesn't seem to far off from other cars that I have worked on over the years. I am not a mechanic, but with the help of this forum and the internet I have been able to do all of the work so far. Now the electronics is another story and will need help with that if a problem arises. I do buy aftermarket parts sometimes just for the cost savings. I feel if the oem part failed with 56k then its not worth the extra cost to put it back on.
I purchased the car for just 11,250 and the S550 is an awesome car. I could of gone the safe route and bought a Toyota Corolla or a Camry for the same money. The difference between driving in a S550 verse a Toyota is a Huge upgrade in my book....
Do a bunch of reading on this forum and others. There is a lot of information out on the web. Most of the topics, issues, repairs have been discussed and researched already.
I had to include a pic of my ride.
Nice looking whip. Welcome to the show.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:08 PM

on a ban. lol
Uk driving ban - banned from driving for 12 months (reduced to 9 once I do a silly course). It was drink driving related I was 41mg and would have been let off at 39mg. I hardly drink but anyway its happened. I am clear in Janaury 2018 and quite frankly time is flying nowadays.

Thanks so far for the replies so far, I am quite happy to tear into the engine as far as removing the whole intake side. I dislike working under the car however but don't mind it on the rare occasion.

I am now eyeing up cl63's, cl500/600 as well. The shape of the CL, love it. Nice upgrade to existing E46 330 Convertible I have had for some years now. Which leads me to the next question, in comparison to an e46 bmw are parts as easily accessible for replacement from above?

Sorry if any of you are offended at me wanting to DIY an s class/cl63 !

Last edited by Bmw2Merc; 08-27-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:52 PM

on a ban. lol
So just finished an £800k house to rent and its already fully occupied, and im still looking for a present. I got next door as well so yea, im another "property guy". Anyway Cl500 has 0-60 of 4.9 seconds and 38mpg. From 2011 on I think. I want that - and i'll be getting my dad an s350 most probably. We had BMW's for too long, time for a change!